Fatal Expception Error - Help Needed

Nancy

I got the following "Fatal Exception error .....017F:BFF8713B" I tried to
query MS KB for help but it came back with nothing. If they issue this
error I can't understand why it would say it found nothing.
So, can anyone help me understand what's wrong at
boot up.............Thanks!

You may not be able to find those precise numbers. Then, look for a
condition/description that most closely matches yours. What is the rest
of the error message? What code-- 0E, 0D? Did you install something new
recently? Can you boot to Safe Mode? Hold F5 or CTRL as you boot to see.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q150314
What are Fatal Exceptions, including a Fatal Exceptions list.

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
Where has Leboeuf gone to?

http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
http://www.aumha.org/kberrmsg.htm
These too are worth a look.

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
Search for "fatal exception xx"; where xx is the numeric code you got.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

> I'm just hoping that Longhorn is all it's suppose to be.

Longhorn was the internal "working" name.
The retail name selected is Vista.

It won't be anything like it was planned to be.
Most of the worthwhile changes have been delayed or cancelled.

> Windows XP was suppose to be good.
> I usually wait for at least 6 months after it hits the market so they can
> get the bugs worked out.

Then you have AT LEAST 18 months to wait.
as it is debatable whether it will actually see
its planned release date of late 2006.

Microsoft Vista, but don't call it MSV for short.

MSV is the name of a Sun Java Technology tool,
and the last thing we need is another Sun-Microsoft court battle.

Nancy

Thanks for the info Hugh. I need a new laptop so I'm going to opt for
Win2000. I've
used it before and just wait till this Vista/Longhorn to work it's bugs out.
I'm orginally
from Seattle and I miss not being able to be a consumer tester. I did the
Win98 beta
testing, that tell you how long I've been around.

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm just hoping that Longhorn is all it's suppose to be.
>
> Longhorn was the internal "working" name.
> The retail name selected is Vista.
>
> It won't be anything like it was planned to be.
> Most of the worthwhile changes have been delayed or cancelled.
>
> > Windows XP was suppose to be good.
> > I usually wait for at least 6 months after it hits the market so they
can
> > get the bugs worked out.
>
> Then you have AT LEAST 18 months to wait.
> as it is debatable whether it will actually see
> its planned release date of late 2006.
>
> Microsoft Vista, but don't call it MSV for short.
>
> MSV is the name of a Sun Java Technology tool,
> and the last thing we need is another Sun-Microsoft court battle.

If you're going to buy a new system, might as well get XP. The basic
structure and user interface is essentially the same as Win 2000's (if you
choose "Classic" display options it's almost identical.) You'll get better
hardware support and functionality, particularly if your usage include any
multimedia functions. I don't see any advantage to Win2000 over WinXP except
in a networked setting where the IT department might prefer identical
systems.

Buy a laptop with XP now and you're going to get your money's worth well
before "Vista" makes it into the "stable platform" category.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Thanks for the info Hugh. I need a new laptop so I'm going to opt for
> Win2000. I've
> used it before and just wait till this Vista/Longhorn to work it's bugs
> out.
> I'm orginally
> from Seattle and I miss not being able to be a consumer tester. I did the
> Win98 beta
> testing, that tell you how long I've been around.
>
> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm just hoping that Longhorn is all it's suppose to be.
>>
>> Longhorn was the internal "working" name.
>> The retail name selected is Vista.
>>
>> It won't be anything like it was planned to be.
>> Most of the worthwhile changes have been delayed or cancelled.
>>
>> > Windows XP was suppose to be good.
>> > I usually wait for at least 6 months after it hits the market so they
> can
>> > get the bugs worked out.
>>
>> Then you have AT LEAST 18 months to wait.
>> as it is debatable whether it will actually see
>> its planned release date of late 2006.
>>
>> Microsoft Vista, but don't call it MSV for short.
>>
>> MSV is the name of a Sun Java Technology tool,
>> and the last thing we need is another Sun-Microsoft court battle.

"Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info Hugh. I need a new laptop so I'm going to opt for
> Win2000. I've
> used it before

Me too. I used it last year at an aerospace company. I like it.

> and just wait till this Vista/Longhorn to work it's bugs out.
> I'm orginally
> from Seattle

I'm in Lynnwood - for the moment.

> and I miss not being able to be a consumer tester.

You don't have to be a Puget Sound resident
to participate in a beta. Florida residents are people too.......

> I did the Win98 beta testing,
> that tell you how long I've been around.

Ain't no shame in having mileage under the hood.

Nice chatting with ya. Good luck with the laptop.

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm just hoping that Longhorn is all it's suppose to be.
> >
> > Longhorn was the internal "working" name.
> > The retail name selected is Vista.
> >
> > It won't be anything like it was planned to be.
> > Most of the worthwhile changes have been delayed or cancelled.
> >
> > > Windows XP was suppose to be good.
> > > I usually wait for at least 6 months after it hits the market so they
> can
> > > get the bugs worked out.
> >
> > Then you have AT LEAST 18 months to wait.
> > as it is debatable whether it will actually see
> > its planned release date of late 2006.
> >
> > Microsoft Vista, but don't call it MSV for short.
> >
> > MSV is the name of a Sun Java Technology tool,
> > and the last thing we need is another Sun-Microsoft court battle.

Nancy

Gary, what's your take on Win XP Pro vs Win 2000 ?
I lean to 2000 as I am familar with it and have more control over what I'm
doing. Basically I'm a control freak. I've heard that XP doesn't allow the
control we've been used to in the other Windows products before it.
Thanks

> If you're going to buy a new system, might as well get XP. The basic
> structure and user interface is essentially the same as Win 2000's (if you
> choose "Classic" display options it's almost identical.) You'll get better
> hardware support and functionality, particularly if your usage include any
> multimedia functions. I don't see any advantage to Win2000 over WinXP
except
> in a networked setting where the IT department might prefer identical
> systems.
>
> Buy a laptop with XP now and you're going to get your money's worth well
> before "Vista" makes it into the "stable platform" category.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the info Hugh. I need a new laptop so I'm going to opt for
> > Win2000. I've
> > used it before and just wait till this Vista/Longhorn to work it's bugs
> > out.
> > I'm orginally
> > from Seattle and I miss not being able to be a consumer tester. I did
the
> > Win98 beta
> > testing, that tell you how long I've been around.
> >
> > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Longhorn was the internal "working" name.
> >> The retail name selected is Vista.
> >>
> >> It won't be anything like it was planned to be.
> >> Most of the worthwhile changes have been delayed or cancelled.

> > can
> >>
> >> Then you have AT LEAST 18 months to wait.
> >> as it is debatable whether it will actually see
> >> its planned release date of late 2006.
> >>
> >> Microsoft Vista, but don't call it MSV for short.
> >>
> >> MSV is the name of a Sun Java Technology tool,
> >> and the last thing we need is another Sun-Microsoft court battle.

I don't think I've ever heard that argument. Then again, it's making a
comparison, and I'm not familiar enough with Win2K to be able to comment
with any authority. All I can say is that, in a stand-alone desktop
situation, I can't imagine how Win2K would be easier, safer or more reliable
than WinXP.

I suggest you ask this question in a Win2K group to find people who are
qualified to comment (with attention paid to the bona fides of the persons
responding.) XP groups are quite noisy, but once you get the specific
"pro-Win2K" arguments, you can post them to one or more XP groups to see
what they say.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Gary, what's your take on Win XP Pro vs Win 2000 ?
> I lean to 2000 as I am familar with it and have more control over what I'm
> doing. Basically I'm a control freak. I've heard that XP doesn't allow
> the
> control we've been used to in the other Windows products before it.
> Thanks

>> If you're going to buy a new system, might as well get XP. The basic
>> structure and user interface is essentially the same as Win 2000's (if
>> you
>> choose "Classic" display options it's almost identical.) You'll get
>> better
>> hardware support and functionality, particularly if your usage include
>> any
>> multimedia functions. I don't see any advantage to Win2000 over WinXP
> except
>> in a networked setting where the IT department might prefer identical
>> systems.
>>
>> Buy a laptop with XP now and you're going to get your money's worth well
>> before "Vista" makes it into the "stable platform" category.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the info Hugh. I need a new laptop so I'm going to opt for
>> > Win2000. I've
>> > used it before and just wait till this Vista/Longhorn to work it's bugs
>> > out.
>> > I'm orginally
>> > from Seattle and I miss not being able to be a consumer tester. I did
> the
>> > Win98 beta
>> > testing, that tell you how long I've been around.
>> >
>> > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

>> > can

I can't think of a single thing you can "control" on a Windows 2000 computer
that you can't also do on a Windows XP computer. And I should probably
know, since I am not only an MVP but I'm a network administrator for a
fair-sized network (250 PC clients, 15 servers, three WAN locations) with
both Windows 2000 and Windows XP deployed.

If you can be more specific about what you're worried about or what you're
trying to accomplish I can most likely put your mind at ease. I suppose the
folks here won't mind a little off-topic discussion since there are those
here who discuss really off-topic stuff like what color your appendages
might change to if you switch to Windows XP. :)

"Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Gary, what's your take on Win XP Pro vs Win 2000 ?
> I lean to 2000 as I am familar with it and have more control over what I'm
> doing. Basically I'm a control freak. I've heard that XP doesn't allow
> the
> control we've been used to in the other Windows products before it.
> Thanks

The color is deep purple!

--
| I can't think of a single thing you can "control" on a Windows 2000
computer
| that you can't also do on a Windows XP computer. And I should
probably
| know, since I am not only an MVP but I'm a network administrator for a
| fair-sized network (250 PC clients, 15 servers, three WAN locations)
with
| both Windows 2000 and Windows XP deployed.
|
| If you can be more specific about what you're worried about or what
you're
| trying to accomplish I can most likely put your mind at ease. I
suppose the
| folks here won't mind a little off-topic discussion since there are
those
| here who discuss really off-topic stuff like what color your
appendages
| might change to if you switch to Windows XP. :)
|
| --
| Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
| * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
| * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
| * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
| * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "Nancy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Gary, what's your take on Win XP Pro vs Win 2000 ?
| > I lean to 2000 as I am familar with it and have more control over
what I'm
| > doing. Basically I'm a control freak. I've heard that XP doesn't
allow
| > the
| > control we've been used to in the other Windows products before it.
| > Thanks

Your honor, I rest my case. ;-)

> The color is deep purple!

OK, then, go ahead & go off topic. I have put on my tinfoil hat & run 17
threads away!