Changing Drive Letter Assignments

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 13, 2005 3:58:00 PM

This has probably been asked a 1000 times...

My old AT PC had a single HDD(C:) , a floppy(A:)  and a CD-ROM(D:) .

I've just added a 2nd HDD and now the drive letters are:-
1st HDD (C:)
2nd HDD (D:)
Floppy (A:)
CD-ROM (E:)

I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
for Optical.

I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
drive letter" fields.

Is is even possible under Win98? If so, how?

Win98 original, not SE, not ME.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:58:01 PM

"Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message

> I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
> for Optical.
> I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
> something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
> assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
> drive letter" fields.

The likeliest cause is that Drive D: is Primary DOS, therefore
automatically assigned the next available drive letter.
You can use FDISK to wipe D: (wiping all data) then create
a new partition as Extended DOS and FORMAT it; then
give it drive letter S:

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

In that the letters are assigned by the system, how would a user assign a
letter other than by using a third party program such as Letter Assigner?

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message
>
>> I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
>> for Optical.
>> I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
>> something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
>> assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
>> drive letter" fields.
>
> The likeliest cause is that Drive D: is Primary DOS, therefore
> automatically assigned the next available drive letter.
> You can use FDISK to wipe D: (wiping all data) then create
> a new partition as Extended DOS and FORMAT it; then
> give it drive letter S:
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

August 13, 2005 6:57:39 PM

Gary D. <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in

> This has probably been asked a 1000 times...
>
> My old AT PC had a single HDD(C:) , a floppy(A:)  and a CD-ROM(D:) .
>
> I've just added a 2nd HDD and now the drive letters are:-
> 1st HDD (C:)
> 2nd HDD (D:)
> Floppy (A:)
> CD-ROM (E:)
>
> I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
> for Optical.
>
> I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
> something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
> assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
> drive letter" fields.
>
> Is is even possible under Win98? If so, how?
>

> Win98 original, not SE, not ME.

Try 'Letter Assigner'
<http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig&gt;
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:57:40 PM

If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background? If
so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change one drive
letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response required. :-)

--

"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
> Gary D. <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in
>
>> This has probably been asked a 1000 times...
>>
>> My old AT PC had a single HDD(C:) , a floppy(A:)  and a CD-ROM(D:) .
>>
>> I've just added a 2nd HDD and now the drive letters are:-
>> 1st HDD (C:)
>> 2nd HDD (D:)
>> Floppy (A:)
>> CD-ROM (E:)
>>
>> I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
>> for Optical.
>>
>> I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
>> something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
>> assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
>> drive letter" fields.
>>
>> Is is even possible under Win98? If so, how?
>>

>> Win98 original, not SE, not ME.
>>

> Try 'Letter Assigner'
> <http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig&gt;
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:57:41 PM

Ron Badour wrote:
> If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background?

No, does its thing via ini via autoexec.bat at boot time; eg...
@C:\PROGRA~1\_MYPRO~1\SYSTEM\LETTER~1\LETASSIG.EXE @LETTERS.INI
/O:D RIVEMAP.DAT /CD

> If so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change
> one drive letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response
> required. :-)

You got one anyway :)

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
August 13, 2005 11:31:49 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:49:35 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote:

>If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background? If
>so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change one drive
>letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response required. :-)

Ron, it is not a rhetorical question. :)

It does not run in the background -- it runs while booting, and then quits.

It runs also when you launch it to reassign the letters.

When many years ago I installed this program, tried it an was amazed -- I
supposed then HOW it works, and asked Vadim by email, am I correct. And got
the positive in general answer.

The background of my assumption was that even C letter for the first drive is
not from God. ;)

BTW, if I recall correct -- Partition Magic can do that as well. But this
option was introduced later; besides that PM, is not my choice.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Thanks Mikhail and DadiIO for the correction. Obviously an advanced case of
CRS has set in. :-)

--

!