Changing Drive Letter Assignments

This has probably been asked a 1000 times...

My old AT PC had a single HDD(C:), a floppy(A:) and a CD-ROM(D:).

I've just added a 2nd HDD and now the drive letters are:-
1st HDD (C:)
2nd HDD (D:)
Floppy (A:)
CD-ROM (E:)

I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
for Optical.

I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
drive letter" fields.

Is is even possible under Win98? If so, how?

Win98 original, not SE, not ME.
7 answers Last reply
More about changing drive letter assignments

    "Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message

    > I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
    > for Optical.
    > I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
    > something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
    > assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
    > drive letter" fields.

    The likeliest cause is that Drive D: is Primary DOS, therefore
    automatically assigned the next available drive letter.
    You can use FDISK to wipe D: (wiping all data) then create
    a new partition as Extended DOS and FORMAT it; then
    give it drive letter S:

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    In that the letters are assigned by the system, how would a user assign a
    letter other than by using a third party program such as Letter Assigner?

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
    >> for Optical.
    >> I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
    >> something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
    >> assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
    >> drive letter" fields.
    >
    > The likeliest cause is that Drive D: is Primary DOS, therefore
    > automatically assigned the next available drive letter.
    > You can use FDISK to wipe D: (wiping all data) then create
    > a new partition as Extended DOS and FORMAT it; then
    > give it drive letter S:
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    Gary D. <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in

    > This has probably been asked a 1000 times...
    >
    > My old AT PC had a single HDD(C:), a floppy(A:) and a CD-ROM(D:).
    >
    > I've just added a 2nd HDD and now the drive letters are:-
    > 1st HDD (C:)
    > 2nd HDD (D:)
    > Floppy (A:)
    > CD-ROM (E:)
    >
    > I've just changed the device settings for the CD-ROM to be drive (O:)
    > for Optical.
    >
    > I would like to change drive letter assignments for the 2nd HDD to
    > something like "S:" for Spare, but the device manager letter
    > assignment box is greyed out so I can't change it. Ditto the "reserved
    > drive letter" fields.
    >
    > Is is even possible under Win98? If so, how?
    >

    > Win98 original, not SE, not ME.

    Try 'Letter Assigner'
    <http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig>

    If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background? If
    so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change one drive
    letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response required. :-)

    --

    Ron Badour wrote:
    > If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background?

    No, does its thing via ini via autoexec.bat at boot time; eg...
    @C:\PROGRA~1\_MYPRO~1\SYSTEM\LETTER~1\LETASSIG.EXE @LETTERS.INI
    /O:DRIVEMAP.DAT /CD

    > If so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change
    > one drive letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response
    > required. :-)

    You got one anyway :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:49:35 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote:

    >If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background? If
    >so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change one drive
    >letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response required. :-)

    Ron, it is not a rhetorical question. :)

    It does not run in the background -- it runs while booting, and then quits.

    It runs also when you launch it to reassign the letters.

    When many years ago I installed this program, tried it an was amazed -- I
    supposed then HOW it works, and asked Vadim by email, am I correct. And got
    the positive in general answer.

    The background of my assumption was that even C letter for the first drive is
    not from God. ;)

    BTW, if I recall correct -- Partition Magic can do that as well. But this
    option was introduced later; besides that PM, is not my choice.
    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    Thanks Mikhail and DadiIO for the correction. Obviously an advanced case of
    CRS has set in. :-)

    --

    "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:49:35 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>If I recall correctly, doesn't Letter Assigner run in the background? If
    >>so, is it worth another program eating up resources just to change one
    >>drive
    >>letter? A rhetorical question for OP, no response required. :-)
    >
    > Ron, it is not a rhetorical question. :)
    >
    > It does not run in the background -- it runs while booting, and then
    > quits.
    >
    > It runs also when you launch it to reassign the letters.
    >
    > When many years ago I installed this program, tried it an was amazed -- I
    > supposed then HOW it works, and asked Vadim by email, am I correct. And
    > got
    > the positive in general answer.
    >
    > The background of my assumption was that even C letter for the first drive
    > is
    > not from God. ;)
    >
    > BTW, if I recall correct -- Partition Magic can do that as well. But this
    > option was introduced later; besides that PM, is not my choice.
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz