Canon Printer

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 13, 2005 4:11:42 PM

I had a Canon printer installed on my W98 system and had a virus issue that
affected my printer. I got rid of virus but for some reason I cannot
reinstall my printer it will not recognize that it is hooked up to USB port
it thinks it is LPT1
Any ideas
Thanks

More about : canon printer

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 12:25:34 PM

First remove the printer from the Printers folder. Then go to Control
Panel, Add/remove programs and remove any software related to your printer.

Make sure that your printer is not connected to your computer and reinstall
the software that shipped with your printer or check with Canon to be sure
that you have the latest drivers and install those. You will probably be
instructed during the installation process to connect your printer at which
time, the printer and it's connection should be detected.

The above may not be exactly correct for your printer so I suggest that you
locate the instructions from the manufacturer and follow these exactly.
Each manufacturer determines how their devices and drivers have to be
installed and write the drivers accordingly. If you are still unable to
install the printer, provide us with the type and model which is required to
research on the Canon web site.

Some manufacturers also have a software tool to remove all of their
previously installed printer drivers so that you can start fresh in
installing. You might want to check out the Canon web site to see if you
can find such a tool.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...

PattyL

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I had a Canon printer installed on my W98 system and had a virus issue that
>affected my printer. I got rid of virus but for some reason I cannot
>reinstall my printer it will not recognize that it is hooked up to USB port
>it thinks it is LPT1
> Any ideas
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:44:03 PM

Following PattyL's comment. Two small but important points which may or may
not help. The instructions for my Canon MPC200 Printer ( and a previous
Canon printer) both with USB connections, state

1. "Do NOT connect the USB cable before installing the software" (and then
only install when told to do so!)
2. "For Windows 98/ME users: You need to have "Client for Microsoft
Networks" installed before installing the Canon MultiPass Suite Software"
(this may or may not be relevant to your Canon printer).

Flusters

"PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
> First remove the printer from the Printers folder. Then go to Control
> Panel, Add/remove programs and remove any software related to your
printer.

> Make sure that your printer is not connected to your computer and
reinstall
> the software that shipped with your printer or check with Canon to be sure
> that you have the latest drivers and install those. You will probably be
> instructed during the installation process to connect your printer at
which
> time, the printer and it's connection should be detected.
>
> The above may not be exactly correct for your printer so I suggest that
you
> locate the instructions from the manufacturer and follow these exactly.
> Each manufacturer determines how their devices and drivers have to be
> installed and write the drivers accordingly. If you are still unable to
> install the printer, provide us with the type and model which is required
> research on the Canon web site.
>
> Some manufacturers also have a software tool to remove all of their
> previously installed printer drivers so that you can start fresh in
> installing. You might want to check out the Canon web site to see if you
> can find such a tool.
>
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...
>
> PattyL
>
> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I had a Canon printer installed on my W98 system and had a virus issue
that
> >affected my printer. I got rid of virus but for some reason I cannot
> >reinstall my printer it will not recognize that it is hooked up to USB
port
> >it thinks it is LPT1
> > Any ideas
> > Thanks

August 14, 2005 7:44:04 PM

If all of the aforementioned good stuff doesn't work Canon USA's website has
a troubleshooter for their printers, or at least the one I have. Search by
model number.

flusters wrote:
> Following PattyL's comment. Two small but important points which may
> or may not help. The instructions for my Canon MPC200 Printer ( and a
> previous Canon printer) both with USB connections, state
>
> 1. "Do NOT connect the USB cable before installing the software" (and
> then only install when told to do so!)
> 2. "For Windows 98/ME users: You need to have "Client for Microsoft
> Networks" installed before installing the Canon MultiPass Suite
> Software" (this may or may not be relevant to your Canon printer).
>
> Flusters
>
> "PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
>> First remove the printer from the Printers folder. Then go to
>> Control Panel, Add/remove programs and remove any software related
>> to your printer.
>>
>> Make sure that your printer is not connected to your computer and
>> reinstall the software that shipped with your printer or check with
>> Canon to be sure that you have the latest drivers and install those.
>> You will probably be instructed during the installation process to
>> connect your printer at which time, the printer and it's connection
>> should be detected.
>>
>> The above may not be exactly correct for your printer so I suggest
>> that you locate the instructions from the manufacturer and follow
>> these exactly. Each manufacturer determines how their devices and
>> drivers have to be installed and write the drivers accordingly. If
>> you are still unable to install the printer, provide us with the
>> type and model which is required to research on the Canon web site.
>>
>> Some manufacturers also have a software tool to remove all of their
>> previously installed printer drivers so that you can start fresh in
>> installing. You might want to check out the Canon web site to see
>> if you can find such a tool.
>>
>> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...
>>
>> PattyL
>>
>> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I had a Canon printer installed on my W98 system and had a virus
>>> issue that affected my printer. I got rid of virus but for some
>>> reason I cannot reinstall my printer it will not recognize that it
>>> is hooked up to USB port it thinks it is LPT1
>>> Any ideas
>>> Thanks
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:59:20 PM

Thanks for the additional information. I don't happen to have a Canon
printer here so that should be helpful.

PattyL

!