Garbage collection

I stumbled across a range of garbage collectors aimed at freeing up
RAM with some favorable comments by users. I am surprised that Win98
needs improvement here as it would surely get very slow if the HD had
to be used exclusively as RAM until something freed up the RAM, ie if
some form of garbage collection were not provided as standard. I tried
one and it certainly announced the RAM it was freeing up if it dropped
to 3MB. It also announced No Memory Available when obviously there was
enough. I did not notice any increase in speed but my cranky machine
seemed to suffer fewer lockups, one of its curses.

Any one any convincing justification for the addition of such an
application?
Kind regards.
With thanks,

Basil Grose

Basil H. Grose <basil.grose@iec.com> wrote:

>I stumbled across a range of garbage collectors aimed at freeing up
>RAM with some favorable comments by users. I am surprised that Win98
>needs improvement here as it would surely get very slow if the HD had
>to be used exclusively as RAM until something freed up the RAM, ie if
>some form of garbage collection were not provided as standard. I tried
>one and it certainly announced the RAM it was freeing up if it dropped
>to 3MB. It also announced No Memory Available when obviously there was
>enough. I did not notice any increase in speed but my cranky machine
>seemed to suffer fewer lockups, one of its curses.
>
>Any one any convincing justification for the addition of such an
>application?
>Kind regards.
>With thanks,
>
>Basil Grose

There is no justification for using any of these RAM freeing programs
with Windows 98 or Windows Me. Without exception these programs are
all totally incapable of performing any beneficial function for any
computer under any circumstances.

Free RAM should more appropriately be referred to as *useless* RAM
because that is what it actually represents - RAM for which Windows
has so far been totally unable to find any use for. RAM exists to be
used and by design Windows will always attempt to find some use,
anything whatever that might potentially be of some benefit, for every
bit of the installed RAM rather than just leaving the RAM sitting
there idly going to rot. And just as soon as some better use comes
along for any of that RAM Windows will instantaneously drop the more
trivial usages so as to free up whatever is now required.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--