How to change/remove logon passwords

Our network just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
When I boot the logon prompt appears.
I'd like to remove that.
I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
passwords, which I don't.

I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
applications that I don't want to lose.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords or
the logon prompt?

Thanks

Click cancel to finish booting. Then do a find on *.pwl and delete those
you find. Reboot and when the logon screen appears, either put in a new
password or if you do not want to log at each boot, put a blank password in.

Blank Password: Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and
select Windows Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and
ensure the "all user's" box is marked. If you have a password established,
go to control panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password
in the old box, leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have
forgotten your password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is
ron.pwl); however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the
..pwl file. If you do not have a password established or have deleted the
..pwl file, when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name
only and hit OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak
UI installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
user."

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message

> Our network just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
> I'd like to remove that.
> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
> passwords, which I don't.
>
> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
> applications that I don't want to lose.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords or
> the logon prompt?
>

> Thanks

Thanks - I'll try it

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> Click cancel to finish booting. Then do a find on *.pwl and delete those
> you find. Reboot and when the logon screen appears, either put in a new
> password or if you do not want to log at each boot, put a blank password
> in.
>
> Blank Password: Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and
> select Windows Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and
> ensure the "all user's" box is marked. If you have a password
> established, go to control panel, passwords, change windows password, type
> the password in the old box, leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If
> you have forgotten your password, delete the .pwl file with your user name
> (mine is ron.pwl); however, be aware that you will lose all passwords
> stored in the .pwl file. If you do not have a password established or
> have deleted the .pwl file, when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot,
> type a user name only and hit OK. If the logon screen continues to appear
> and you have Tweak UI installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the
> mark from "clear last user."
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Our network just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
>> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
>> I'd like to remove that.
>> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
>> passwords, which I don't.
>>
>> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
>> applications that I don't want to lose.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords
>> or
>> the logon prompt?
>>

>> Thanks

Visit www.support.microsoft.com and type the article 321305 in the search for
knowledge base box. which gives u the instructions.

"**Developer**" wrote:

> Our network just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
> I'd like to remove that.
> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
> passwords, which I don't.
>
> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
> applications that I don't want to lose.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords or
> the logon prompt?
>

> Thanks

I will
Thanks