OEM OS

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 13, 2005 10:57:27 PM

Hello,

Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over Full
OEM OS are ?

Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.

Thank You So Much,

Wayne R. Russ

More about : oem

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:08:22 PM

If you buy an OEM copy, the OEM seller provides any support you need. If
you buy retail, Microsoft provides support. This assumes, of course, that
you're buying a supported operating system.

"Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over
> Full
> OEM OS are ?
>
> Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
>
> Thank You So Much,
>
> Wayne R. Russ

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:58:13 PM

I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?

Dan

news:o L$FlvFoFHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If you buy an OEM copy, the OEM seller provides any support you
need. If
> you buy retail, Microsoft provides support. This assumes, of
course, that
> you're buying a supported operating system.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS
over
> > Full
> > OEM OS are ?
> >
> > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
> >
> > Thank You So Much,
> >
> > Wayne R. Russ

August 14, 2005 1:43:38 AM

"Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over
Full
> OEM OS are ?
>
> Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
>
> Thank You So Much,
>
> Wayne R. Russ

Legally, an OEM version is tied to the machine
that it comes installed on originally. The (discounted) cost
is included in the cost of the new PC.

A Full Retail version however, is a stand-alone purchase,
and can be installed on the machine of your choice.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:40:54 AM

"Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over Full
>OEM OS are ?
>
>Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
>
>Thank You So Much,
>
>Wayne R. Russ

1. The license for an OEM version is permanently locked to the first
machine that it is installed on, and cannot be legitimately moved to a
different computer even if the original computer is scrapped, stolen,
or destroyed. The license for a retail version belongs to the
purchaser and can be moved from computer to computer to computer as
that person sees fit, provided that it is never installed on more than
one computer at any given time.

2. Support for OEM versions is the responsibility of the OEM who sold
that copy, and not Microsoft. It is as if you purchased "Acme Windows,
licensed from Microsoft". Retail versions have a specified quantity
of free support available from Microsoft, although that may not be
available any more because of the end of support for Windows 98.

3. A Full Retail version can be used to upgrade an existing installed
copy of a previous version of Windows, such as Windows 95. An OEM
version will not install as an upgrade, although there are some tricks
that can sometimes be used to get them to do this. These were more
likely to work with OEM versions of Windows 95 rather than Windows 98.

4. Custom OEM versions, ones that bear the name and logo of a
computer assembler/manufacturer, may have some modifications made to
include different device drivers, possibly remove some device drivers,
and some optional Windows components may also not be included.

Hope this is the information you were looking for.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:30:19 AM

Dapper Dan wrote:
> I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
> provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?

I think there are some more limitations in the OEM version on what kind
of system you can install it (no upgrading).

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

Creationism & Darwin:
"The bible says humans were
supposed to use animals to
do work for them and I like
to work so I must be an animal!"
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:41:22 AM

Thank You everyone I got what I was looking for. You all are the best

Wayne R. Russ

> Hello,
>
> Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over
Full
> OEM OS are ?
>
> Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
>
> Thank You So Much,
>
> Wayne R. Russ

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:43:07 AM

There's no difference in the core OS itself - Windows is Windows; but there
are differences in how they'll install. OEM media usually won't do an
in-place upgrade unless you can trick it into thinking Windows isn't
installed. Retail media will do either an upgrade or a clean install. Some
OEM copies also omit some of the add-on components, like MS Backup; a few
add components (like BackWeb for background updates or customized versions
of IE).

But once you get it installed they'll pretty much look and act the same.

"Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
> I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
> provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:25:08 PM

If the CD is a "generic" OEM version, then no, there's practically no
difference. Only one I can immediately recall is that the generic OEM CD
cannot be used to upgrade from any other Windows version. (Well, there are
tricks that *may* permit such usage, but we're talking about differences,
and that's the main one.)

OEM CDs that are produced by 3rd-parties are often heavily edited with
regard to additional content outside of the OS proper, and usually contain
customized drivers files, etc. But even then, the basic OS is essentially
the same one regardless of whether it's an Upgrade, Full, or OEM disk.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
> I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
> provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?
>
> Dan
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> news:o L$FlvFoFHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> If you buy an OEM copy, the OEM seller provides any support you
> need. If
>> you buy retail, Microsoft provides support. This assumes, of
> course, that
>> you're buying a supported operating system.
>>
>> --
>> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS
> over
>> > Full
>> > OEM OS are ?
>> >
>> > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank You So Much,
>> >
>> > Wayne R. Russ

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:25:09 PM

I think your system date/time setting is wrong. One day ahead. Today
it's 14.8. not 15.8..

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor
Secondary function: Cluster commander

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

Creationism & Darwin:
"The bible says humans were
supposed to use animals to
do work for them and I like
to work so I must be an animal!"
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:25:10 PM

Thank you. Just getting a new system up and running. A few days and nights
of babying temperamental hardware and trying new arrangements, and my
usually poor memory of what day it is gets even worse, <s>.

--

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
>I think your system date/time setting is wrong. One day ahead. Today it's
>14.8. not 15.8..
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> Yes I'm a therian:
> http://www.wikitherian.org
>
> Creationism & Darwin:
> "The bible says humans were
> supposed to use animals to
> do work for them and I like
> to work so I must be an animal!"
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:07:09 PM

I'd like to echo Wayne's note. Thanks for the feedback, it was really
interesting.

Dan

!