OEM OS

Hello,

Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over Full
OEM OS are ?

Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.

Thank You So Much,

Wayne R. Russ
11 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    If you buy an OEM copy, the OEM seller provides any support you need. If
    you buy retail, Microsoft provides support. This assumes, of course, that
    you're buying a supported operating system.

    "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over
    > Full
    > OEM OS are ?
    >
    > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
    >
    > Thank You So Much,
    >
    > Wayne R. Russ

    I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
    provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?

    Dan

    > If you buy an OEM copy, the OEM seller provides any support you
    need. If
    > you buy retail, Microsoft provides support. This assumes, of
    course, that
    > you're buying a supported operating system.

    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >

    > "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS
    over
    > > Full
    > > OEM OS are ?
    > >
    > > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thank You So Much,
    > >
    > > Wayne R. Russ

    "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over
    Full
    > OEM OS are ?
    >
    > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
    >
    > Thank You So Much,
    >
    > Wayne R. Russ

    Legally, an OEM version is tied to the machine
    that it comes installed on originally. The (discounted) cost
    is included in the cost of the new PC.

    A Full Retail version however, is a stand-alone purchase,
    and can be installed on the machine of your choice.

    "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over Full
    >OEM OS are ?
    >
    >Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
    >
    >Thank You So Much,
    >
    >Wayne R. Russ

    1. The license for an OEM version is permanently locked to the first
    machine that it is installed on, and cannot be legitimately moved to a
    different computer even if the original computer is scrapped, stolen,
    or destroyed. The license for a retail version belongs to the
    purchaser and can be moved from computer to computer to computer as
    that person sees fit, provided that it is never installed on more than
    one computer at any given time.

    2. Support for OEM versions is the responsibility of the OEM who sold
    that copy, and not Microsoft. It is as if you purchased "Acme Windows,
    licensed from Microsoft". Retail versions have a specified quantity
    of free support available from Microsoft, although that may not be
    available any more because of the end of support for Windows 98.

    3. A Full Retail version can be used to upgrade an existing installed
    copy of a previous version of Windows, such as Windows 95. An OEM
    version will not install as an upgrade, although there are some tricks
    that can sometimes be used to get them to do this. These were more
    likely to work with OEM versions of Windows 95 rather than Windows 98.

    4. Custom OEM versions, ones that bear the name and logo of a
    computer assembler/manufacturer, may have some modifications made to
    include different device drivers, possibly remove some device drivers,
    and some optional Windows components may also not be included.

    Hope this is the information you were looking for.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Dapper Dan wrote:
    > I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
    > provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?

    I think there are some more limitations in the OEM version on what kind
    of system you can install it (no upgrading).

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    Creationism & Darwin:
    "The bible says humans were
    supposed to use animals to
    do work for them and I like
    to work so I must be an animal!"

    Thank You everyone I got what I was looking for. You all are the best

    Wayne R. Russ

    > Hello,
    >
    > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS over
    Full
    > OEM OS are ?
    >
    > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
    >
    > Thank You So Much,
    >
    > Wayne R. Russ

    There's no difference in the core OS itself - Windows is Windows; but there
    are differences in how they'll install. OEM media usually won't do an
    in-place upgrade unless you can trick it into thinking Windows isn't
    installed. Retail media will do either an upgrade or a clean install. Some
    OEM copies also omit some of the add-on components, like MS Backup; a few
    add components (like BackWeb for background updates or customized versions
    of IE).

    But once you get it installed they'll pretty much look and act the same.

    "Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
    > I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
    > provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?

    If the CD is a "generic" OEM version, then no, there's practically no
    difference. Only one I can immediately recall is that the generic OEM CD
    cannot be used to upgrade from any other Windows version. (Well, there are
    tricks that *may* permit such usage, but we're talking about differences,
    and that's the main one.)

    OEM CDs that are produced by 3rd-parties are often heavily edited with
    regard to additional content outside of the OS proper, and usually contain
    customized drivers files, etc. But even then, the basic OS is essentially
    the same one regardless of whether it's an Upgrade, Full, or OEM disk.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
    > I'm also interested in the answer Richard. Notwithstanding who
    > provides the support, is there any difference in the operating system?
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >> If you buy an OEM copy, the OEM seller provides any support you
    > need. If
    >> you buy retail, Microsoft provides support. This assumes, of
    > course, that
    >> you're buying a supported operating system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >>

    >> "Wayne R. Russ" <NOwaynerrSPAM@olg.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS
    > over
    >> > Full
    >> > OEM OS are ?
    >> >
    >> > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thank You So Much,
    >> >
    >> > Wayne R. Russ

    I think your system date/time setting is wrong. One day ahead. Today
    it's 14.8. not 15.8..

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor
    Secondary function: Cluster commander

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    Creationism & Darwin:
    "The bible says humans were
    supposed to use animals to
    do work for them and I like
    to work so I must be an animal!"

    Thank you. Just getting a new system up and running. A few days and nights
    of babying temperamental hardware and trying new arrangements, and my
    usually poor memory of what day it is gets even worse, <s>.

    --

    "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
    >I think your system date/time setting is wrong. One day ahead. Today it's
    >14.8. not 15.8..
    >
    > --
    > Model: INFJ
    > Primary function: Coprocessor
    > Secondary function: Cluster commander
    >
    > Yes I'm a therian:
    > http://www.wikitherian.org
    >
    > Creationism & Darwin:
    > "The bible says humans were
    > supposed to use animals to
    > do work for them and I like
    > to work so I must be an animal!"

    I'd like to echo Wayne's note. Thanks for the feedback, it was really
    interesting.

    Dan

    > Thank You everyone I got what I was looking for. You all are the
    best

    > Wayne R. Russ
    >

    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me what the benefits of having Full Retail OS
    over
    > Full
    > > OEM OS are ?
    > >
    > > Any advice Gratefully Appreciated.