USB PCI wont install

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 14, 2005 5:17:56 PM

My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the Canon
Pixma printer which connects by USB.

However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
is the system simply too old.

Win98SE
64MB Ram (SIMM)
2GB HDD

--
Remove .invalid
_ _ _

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
--Confucius--

More about : usb pci wont install

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:17:57 PM

This article may help you determine the problem:

General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263218

In this case, I'd say that the most likely seem to be Out-of date firmware
or BIOS and I'd be sure to check the directions on installing the card to
see if you need to install drivers before inserting the card in the system.

It's also possible that something that is already installed is conflicting
with the new card. I'd first go to Device Manager and look for anything
with an ! or anything listed under Other devices. Other devices are usually
things that the system recognized as being there but did not have drivers
for and doesn't necessarily know what kind of device it is. Boot into Safe
mode to look for problem devices and then delete all devices in any category
with a problem. If the correct drivers are now available, the device will
generally be recognized and the correct driver installed when you reboot.

This article may also help:

How to Troubleshoot Hardware Device Drivers
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296060

PattyL

"Diatonic_Muttley"
<muttley@tiscali.co.uk.invalid>
wrote in message news:upZ%234oMoFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
> asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
> works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the
> Canon Pixma printer which connects by USB.
>
> However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
> get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
> is the system simply too old.
>
> Win98SE
> 64MB Ram (SIMM)
> 2GB HDD
>
> --
> Remove .invalid
> _ _ _
>
> By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
> noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
> which is the bitterest.
> --Confucius--

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:17:57 PM

Could be that the particular PCI slot you're using can't allocate the
appropriate IRQ number for the device. Or the device or the motherboard
don't do irq sharing very well.
You may have to play "musical chairs" by moving the PCI cards around until
you find the right combo.
A description of where exactly the system stops booting would probably land
more appropriate answers.

"Diatonic_Muttley"
<muttley@tisc�
97;li.co.uk.inv&
#097;lid> wrote in message
> My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
> asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
> works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the
Canon
> Pixma printer which connects by USB.
>
> However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
> get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
> is the system simply too old.
>
> Win98SE
> 64MB Ram (SIMM)
> 2GB HDD
>
> --
> Remove .invalid
> _ _ _
>
> By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
> noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
> which is the bitterest.
> --Confucius--

August 14, 2005 10:57:13 PM

I think, you purchased an USB-2.0 card.

Only a few models of USB-2.0 PCI cards can work with the old revision of PCI
bus, which, basing on your description, your computer has.

You have ether find the model of USB-2.0 PCI card that can work with the old
PCI specification -- or replace it with USB-1.1 PCI card: most of them have no
problems in such configuration.

You'll see no (or almost no) difference between USB-2.0 and USB-1.1 when use a
printer connected to it (in contrast to USB flash drivers, and similar high
speed USB devices).

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:17:56 +0100, "Diatonic_Muttley" wrote:

>My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
>asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
>works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the Canon
>Pixma printer which connects by USB.
>
>However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
>get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
>is the system simply too old.
>
>Win98SE
>64MB Ram (SIMM)
>2GB HDD
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:56:56 PM

I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and it says right on the box that the minimum system
requirements are a 266 Mhz CPU. Many other USB 2.0 cards have minimum system
requirements that are MUCH higher than that. If your machine only has 64 MB of
RAM, I'd guess that your CPU is 200 Mhz or less.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:56:57 PM

I've seen plenty of consumer systems with PII and even PIII processors, all
faster than 200MHz, with only 64 MB of RAM, using Win98SE. That's not really
enough, of course, but it was a common amount of RAM in the "loss leader"
category of major brands before the turn of the century.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:s53Ne.5176$PM3.431@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and it says right on the box that the minimum
>system
> requirements are a 266 Mhz CPU. Many other USB 2.0 cards have minimum
> system
> requirements that are MUCH higher than that. If your machine only has 64
> MB of
> RAM, I'd guess that your CPU is 200 Mhz or less.

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:05:30 PM

I was wondering if you managed to correct your problem. I am running an
old pc too - AMD450 40G HDD 64MEG RAM. I have installed a pci usb card
and the drivers have all installed correctly. The slot works too as I
have tested it by exchanging it with the modem and the modem still
works fine.

When I connect any usb device (pinter/camera) my computer tries to add
new software but in System / Device Manager it comes up with "Unknown
Device" under USB. Altho it has the host controller and root hub
installed ok. This happens whenever I connect my camera or my printer.
I am at wits end as I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do.

Please can you let me know if you have resolved your issue as I would
appreciate ny help you may be able to give. My problem sounds just like
yours. Older pc, pci modem installed and working, usb installed fine but
(my card is Opti 82C861 - ok in device manager as well as USB Root Hub)
whenever I connect a usb device I have unknown device added to USB
which I can't seem to correct. .

It Lists as follows :-
Universal Serial Bus Controllers :-
Opti 82C861 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
!Unknown Device
USB Root Hub

Please help. Am desperate
Thanks

--
brownfamnz
brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...

It's plug n play and comes with no drivers. Just install card then the
pc detects drivers.The drivers install thru microsoft win98se. If I
remove the card and start up it won't allow install of software without
hardware. I went into BIOS Chipset Features in DOS at startup and the on
board USB was disabled there. Have enabled it and now I have Viatech USB
Open Host Controller as well as the Opti card I installed. It gets more
confusing by the minute. Plus I still have !Unknown Device and 3 root
hubs. I have tried deleting them all, restarting and it comes up the
same.

Any ideas?

--
brownfamnz
brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...
View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=...
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:19:06 AM

Thnx. I will try what you have suggested. Have tried an other slot and I
know the slot works as I have my modem working in all three. I am not
the original writer and my pc boots no problem.

I will come back if I have no success. I am almost 100% sure the USB
card is supported by win98se as the driver installed from win98se. Have
the install files on my pc. The card came from the supplier with no
install disks and they have said that the drivers are on win98se cd.

Other than !Unknown Device I have no problems booting etc.
Thanks for help and will come back to you.

--
brownfamnz
brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...
View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=...
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:19:07 AM

Use Everest Home Edition to find out what that Unknown device is.
www.lavalys.com

I'm still not sure of the problem machine's status. Can it, or can it not, boot
to Normal Mode with the card installed? If it can, then does it appear properly
in Device Manager? Controller and hubs?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"brownfamnz" <brownfamnz.1vdudm@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

> Thnx. I will try what you have suggested. Have tried an other slot and I
> know the slot works as I have my modem working in all three. I am not
> the original writer and my pc boots no problem.
>
> I will come back if I have no success. I am almost 100% sure the USB
> card is supported by win98se as the driver installed from win98se. Have
> the install files on my pc. The card came from the supplier with no
> install disks and they have said that the drivers are on win98se cd.
>
> Other than !Unknown Device I have no problems booting etc.
> Thanks for help and will come back to you.
>

> --
> brownfamnz
> brownfamnz's Profile:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...
> View this thread:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=...

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:58:58 AM

Hi Gary,

Have done as you suggested and now have only the installed card (no
onboard USB listed). I have checked up on the net and found out that my
camera a Fujifinepix is supported by win98se. I donwloaded win98se
drivers from teh official website - STILL to no avail. When I connect
the camera nothing happens then in Device Manager it comes up !Unknown
device. When I try to update driver and go to the file I downloaded
from Fuji I get the same !unknown Device. I know it is supported by
win98se.

Where am I going wrong???? Any other suggestions? Should I maybe
upgrade my software to 2000? Not sure if the pc will handle it tho.

Angela

--
brownfamnz
brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...
View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=...
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 3:25:08 AM

Do you not have any other USB device you could test with? My concern is to first
make sure that the USB card you installed really works. A camera is not the best
test device, since they tend to have lots of their own quirks. Anyone around you
have a USB mouse or keyboard? Or even a stick, whatever. Just one or more USB
devices to test the card with. Also, until you plug in the camera, you see no
other problem in Device Manager? The card appears to have installed correctly?
One more suggestion in this department-- go into Safe Mode Device Manager and
look around for garbage and duplicate entries. Even if you've already done this,
it's time to review it again.

No, I would *not* recommend upgrading to Win2000. It's not a fun OS to learn,
nor is it likely to be any more friendly to your camera. Win2K is quite picky
about what hardware it will run and what hardware it won't. XP would be more
likely to have no problems, yes, but I doubt you have the hardware for that.

OK, you've finally let us know what brand camera it is, but not the model
number, so we can review the documentation ourselves. What model number is it?
Also, have you tested the camera on a modern XP machine to see if it really
works?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User