USB PCI wont install

My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the Canon
Pixma printer which connects by USB.

However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
is the system simply too old.

Win98SE
64MB Ram (SIMM)
2GB HDD

--
Remove .invalid
_ _ _

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
--Confucius--
11 answers Last reply
More about wont install

    This article may help you determine the problem:

    General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
    Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263218

    In this case, I'd say that the most likely seem to be Out-of date firmware
    or BIOS and I'd be sure to check the directions on installing the card to
    see if you need to install drivers before inserting the card in the system.

    It's also possible that something that is already installed is conflicting
    with the new card. I'd first go to Device Manager and look for anything
    with an ! or anything listed under Other devices. Other devices are usually
    things that the system recognized as being there but did not have drivers
    for and doesn't necessarily know what kind of device it is. Boot into Safe
    mode to look for problem devices and then delete all devices in any category
    with a problem. If the correct drivers are now available, the device will
    generally be recognized and the correct driver installed when you reboot.

    This article may also help:

    How to Troubleshoot Hardware Device Drivers
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296060

    PattyL

    "Diatonic_Muttley"
    <muttley@tiscali.co.uk.invalid>
    wrote in message news:upZ%234oMoFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
    > asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
    > works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the
    > Canon Pixma printer which connects by USB.
    >
    > However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
    > get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
    > is the system simply too old.
    >
    > Win98SE
    > 64MB Ram (SIMM)
    > 2GB HDD
    >
    > --
    > Remove .invalid
    > _ _ _
    >
    > By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
    > noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
    > which is the bitterest.
    > --Confucius--

    Could be that the particular PCI slot you're using can't allocate the
    appropriate IRQ number for the device. Or the device or the motherboard
    don't do irq sharing very well.
    You may have to play "musical chairs" by moving the PCI cards around until
    you find the right combo.
    A description of where exactly the system stops booting would probably land
    more appropriate answers.

    "Diatonic_Muttley"
    <muttley@tisc&#0
    97;li.co.uk.inv&
    #097;lid> wrote in message
    > My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
    > asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
    > works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the
    Canon
    > Pixma printer which connects by USB.
    >
    > However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
    > get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
    > is the system simply too old.
    >
    > Win98SE
    > 64MB Ram (SIMM)
    > 2GB HDD
    >
    > --
    > Remove .invalid
    > _ _ _
    >
    > By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
    > noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
    > which is the bitterest.
    > --Confucius--

    I think, you purchased an USB-2.0 card.

    Only a few models of USB-2.0 PCI cards can work with the old revision of PCI
    bus, which, basing on your description, your computer has.

    You have ether find the model of USB-2.0 PCI card that can work with the old
    PCI specification -- or replace it with USB-1.1 PCI card: most of them have no
    problems in such configuration.

    You'll see no (or almost no) difference between USB-2.0 and USB-1.1 when use a
    printer connected to it (in contrast to USB flash drivers, and similar high
    speed USB devices).

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:17:56 +0100, "Diatonic_Muttley" wrote:

    >My friend was given an old second hand computer to play with, his mother
    >asked me to make it internet ready. I installed a PCI modem (56k) which
    >works fine. Later they asked me to install USB so they could use the Canon
    >Pixma printer which connects by USB.
    >
    >However when I try to install the USB PCI Card I find that the system wont
    >get past the boot-up stage. Could it be the Mercury USB card is faulty or
    >is the system simply too old.
    >
    >Win98SE
    >64MB Ram (SIMM)
    >2GB HDD

    I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and it says right on the box that the minimum system
    requirements are a 266 Mhz CPU. Many other USB 2.0 cards have minimum system
    requirements that are MUCH higher than that. If your machine only has 64 MB of
    RAM, I'd guess that your CPU is 200 Mhz or less.

    I've seen plenty of consumer systems with PII and even PIII processors, all
    faster than 200MHz, with only 64 MB of RAM, using Win98SE. That's not really
    enough, of course, but it was a common amount of RAM in the "loss leader"
    category of major brands before the turn of the century.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:s53Ne.5176$PM3.431@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    >I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and it says right on the box that the minimum
    >system
    > requirements are a 266 Mhz CPU. Many other USB 2.0 cards have minimum
    > system
    > requirements that are MUCH higher than that. If your machine only has 64
    > MB of
    > RAM, I'd guess that your CPU is 200 Mhz or less.

    I was wondering if you managed to correct your problem. I am running an
    old pc too - AMD450 40G HDD 64MEG RAM. I have installed a pci usb card
    and the drivers have all installed correctly. The slot works too as I
    have tested it by exchanging it with the modem and the modem still
    works fine.

    When I connect any usb device (pinter/camera) my computer tries to add
    new software but in System / Device Manager it comes up with "Unknown
    Device" under USB. Altho it has the host controller and root hub
    installed ok. This happens whenever I connect my camera or my printer.
    I am at wits end as I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do.

    Please can you let me know if you have resolved your issue as I would
    appreciate ny help you may be able to give. My problem sounds just like
    yours. Older pc, pci modem installed and working, usb installed fine but
    (my card is Opti 82C861 - ok in device manager as well as USB Root Hub)
    whenever I connect a usb device I have unknown device added to USB
    which I can't seem to correct. .

    It Lists as follows :-
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers :-
    Opti 82C861 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    !Unknown Device
    USB Root Hub

    Please help. Am desperate
    Thanks

    --
    brownfamnz
    brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1577

    It's plug n play and comes with no drivers. Just install card then the
    pc detects drivers.The drivers install thru microsoft win98se. If I
    remove the card and start up it won't allow install of software without
    hardware. I went into BIOS Chipset Features in DOS at startup and the on
    board USB was disabled there. Have enabled it and now I have Viatech USB
    Open Host Controller as well as the Opti card I installed. It gets more
    confusing by the minute. Plus I still have !Unknown Device and 3 root
    hubs. I have tried deleting them all, restarting and it comes up the
    same.

    Any ideas?

    --
    brownfamnz
    brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1577
    View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=221412

    Thnx. I will try what you have suggested. Have tried an other slot and I
    know the slot works as I have my modem working in all three. I am not
    the original writer and my pc boots no problem.

    I will come back if I have no success. I am almost 100% sure the USB
    card is supported by win98se as the driver installed from win98se. Have
    the install files on my pc. The card came from the supplier with no
    install disks and they have said that the drivers are on win98se cd.

    Other than !Unknown Device I have no problems booting etc.
    Thanks for help and will come back to you.

    --
    brownfamnz
    brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1577
    View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=221412

    Use Everest Home Edition to find out what that Unknown device is.
    www.lavalys.com

    I'm still not sure of the problem machine's status. Can it, or can it not, boot
    to Normal Mode with the card installed? If it can, then does it appear properly
    in Device Manager? Controller and hubs?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "brownfamnz" <brownfamnz.1vdudm@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

    > Thnx. I will try what you have suggested. Have tried an other slot and I
    > know the slot works as I have my modem working in all three. I am not
    > the original writer and my pc boots no problem.
    >
    > I will come back if I have no success. I am almost 100% sure the USB
    > card is supported by win98se as the driver installed from win98se. Have
    > the install files on my pc. The card came from the supplier with no
    > install disks and they have said that the drivers are on win98se cd.
    >
    > Other than !Unknown Device I have no problems booting etc.
    > Thanks for help and will come back to you.
    >

    > --
    > brownfamnz
    > brownfamnz's Profile:
    > http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1577
    > View this thread:
    > http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=221412

    Hi Gary,

    Have done as you suggested and now have only the installed card (no
    onboard USB listed). I have checked up on the net and found out that my
    camera a Fujifinepix is supported by win98se. I donwloaded win98se
    drivers from teh official website - STILL to no avail. When I connect
    the camera nothing happens then in Device Manager it comes up !Unknown
    device. When I try to update driver and go to the file I downloaded
    from Fuji I get the same !unknown Device. I know it is supported by
    win98se.

    Where am I going wrong???? Any other suggestions? Should I maybe
    upgrade my software to 2000? Not sure if the pc will handle it tho.

    Angela

    --
    brownfamnz
    brownfamnz's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1577
    View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=221412

    Do you not have any other USB device you could test with? My concern is to first
    make sure that the USB card you installed really works. A camera is not the best
    test device, since they tend to have lots of their own quirks. Anyone around you
    have a USB mouse or keyboard? Or even a stick, whatever. Just one or more USB
    devices to test the card with. Also, until you plug in the camera, you see no
    other problem in Device Manager? The card appears to have installed correctly?
    One more suggestion in this department-- go into Safe Mode Device Manager and
    look around for garbage and duplicate entries. Even if you've already done this,
    it's time to review it again.

    No, I would *not* recommend upgrading to Win2000. It's not a fun OS to learn,
    nor is it likely to be any more friendly to your camera. Win2K is quite picky
    about what hardware it will run and what hardware it won't. XP would be more
    likely to have no problems, yes, but I doubt you have the hardware for that.

    OK, you've finally let us know what brand camera it is, but not the model
    number, so we can review the documentation ourselves. What model number is it?
    Also, have you tested the camera on a modern XP machine to see if it really
    works?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "brownfamnz" <brownfamnz.1vl91m@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

    > Hi Gary,
    >
    > Have done as you suggested and now have only the installed card (no
    > onboard USB listed). I have checked up on the net and found out that my
    > camera a Fujifinepix is supported by win98se. I donwloaded win98se
    > drivers from teh official website - STILL to no avail. When I connect
    > the camera nothing happens then in Device Manager it comes up !Unknown
    > device. When I try to update driver and go to the file I downloaded
    > from Fuji I get the same !unknown Device. I know it is supported by
    > win98se.
    >
    > Where am I going wrong???? Any other suggestions? Should I maybe
    > upgrade my software to 2000? Not sure if the pc will handle it tho.
    >
    > Angela
    >

    > --
    > brownfamnz
    > brownfamnz's Profile: