Coverage in SF Bay Area

Can we expect better coverage in the San Francisco Bay Area due to the
merger with AT&T? If so when?

--
Mike DeMicco <blaster186@comcast.net>
1 answer Last reply

    In <Xns957683128DA04blaster186comcastnet@130.133.1.4> on 2 Oct 2004 19:53:06
    GMT, Mike DeMicco <blaster186REMOVETHIS@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Can we expect better coverage in the San Francisco Bay Area due to the
    >merger with AT&T? If so when?

    ATTWS already allows free roaming on Cingular, which gives significantly
    better coverage than either ATTWS or Cingular alone. With a phone that
    supports both 850 and 1900, this is as good as or better than it's likely to
    get.

    When Cingular will allow free roaming on ATTWS is anybody's guess, but
    personally I think it won't occur until sometime after the merger is completed
    and Cingular sells its 1900 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile, switching to ATTWS 850
    MHz as its primary spectrum; i.e., sometime between late this year and the
    middle of next year.

    Although the T-Mobile deal provides 1900 MHz roaming to Cingular for a period
    of years, I expect Cingular to program its SIMs to only roam on T-Mobile in
    California when Cingular 850 MHz signal isn't available (i.e., not when
    T-Mobile signal is simply stronger). This may not be as good as ATTWS is now.

Cingular At&T Internet Service Providers