Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Another XP to Win 7 Question

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2009 9:36:32 PM

I know this question has probably been asked numerous times, but I still need some guidance and clarification. I'm currently running XP and would like to upgrade to Windows 7 x86. My question is, "How would I be able to transfer files from XP to 7?" I have a 1TB HD and I only have about 400GB worth of stuff that I cannot lose, but it's all movies and music and various other forms of software. Would I be able to buy an external HD and transfer that folder over to the external, wipe my 1TB internal clean and do a fresh install of Windows 7, then transfer the folder back over to my new Windows 7 internal? Any help and tips will be greatly appreciated! :D 

I apologize if that's confusing to follow or understand. I can clarify if you need me to. Thanks again :) 

More about : win question

Best solution

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2009 9:46:21 PM

For that amount of data I would transfer it to an external hard drive. You will be able to transfer all your documents but applications that are installed probably won't work if you just drag the folder (assuming you aren't talking about the installation files themselves).
November 8, 2009 10:45:03 PM

That's what I thought would be the best option since it's such a huge amount of data. What I'm transferring over is just a bunch of music, movies, various software, documents, etc. Anything that I have to install again will be done so directly from W7 so there aren't any issues. Thank you for your quick reply! :D 
Related resources
November 9, 2009 1:02:13 AM

Don't try to transfer software or programs. Transfer only data files, and reinstall programs fresh after you install the new OS.
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2009 1:13:43 PM

Pheonix690,

Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK
For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/mhbep4

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

!