Java Issue (?)

Since this is probably a java question rather than an OS question, maybe the
best advice is to refer me to an appropriate functioning java newsgroup,
which I'm having no luck finding on my own. On the other hand please feel
free to take a shot at this.

I have a real time stock quote java applet that I occasionally run in IE and
Mozilla. In each case the time displayed in the applet is four hours early.
I see no way on the console to adjust it. I'm pretty sure this is not a
machine problem because in IE I can also use Microsoft VM to run it and it
will then display the time correctly. Java version is 1.4.2_08 on Win98SE
platform. TIA

I don't know if it will solve your issue, but the very first thing you need to do is
update the Sun Java version. Version 1.4.2_08 is out of date and contains security
vulnerabilities.

Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Java
Click the Update tab, then click the Update button.
It should report that version 1.5.0_04 is available (it may call it version 5.0)
Download and install the update (you can close the Java control panel while this is
happening).
When the update is installed, open the Java control panel again (Start> Settings>
Control Panel> Java), click the Update tab, then click the Update Now button, to
ensure there are no further updates.

Once this is done, open Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall all
earlier versions of Sun Java. The earlier versions may be listed as Sun Java
something, or just Java-something. The only one you want to remain is the new one,
which is listed as "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4"

At that point, see if your Java app or applet still has the problem. If so, try
updating or reinstalling it. If that does not help, contact the writer of the app
and explain the problem with Sun Java and his app.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> Since this is probably a java question rather than an OS question, maybe the
> best advice is to refer me to an appropriate functioning java newsgroup,
> which I'm having no luck finding on my own. On the other hand please feel
> free to take a shot at this.
>
> I have a real time stock quote java applet that I occasionally run in IE and
> Mozilla. In each case the time displayed in the applet is four hours early.
> I see no way on the console to adjust it. I'm pretty sure this is not a
> machine problem because in IE I can also use Microsoft VM to run it and it
> will then display the time correctly. Java version is 1.4.2_08 on Win98SE
> platform. TIA

lee

You should uninstall all versions of Sun Java before 'upgrading' your
current version, perhaps you didn't do that first manually (as you must
do) and that is the reason your experiance was so bad with 1.5?

1.4 is out of date but I was not aware of any security vulnerabilities.
The only well known vulnerability of recent Java would be the Byte
Verify Exploit which was fixed in 3810 MSJava and 1.4 Sun Java. MSJava
3810 is still doing business as update 816093 at the Catalog site - use
it.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/
http://www.javatester.org/
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/14.html

Hi Glen. I've installed a couple of versions of JRE 1.5, but for the
application I described below, they ran it so poorly that it was next to
useless, so I very recently "downgraded". It's the the same concern I was
expressing on the Kerio thread a couple of days ago: these various
upgrades - Sun, Norton, the whole gang - need to be compatible with all
supported OS's, but XP comes first, so the results are usually bloated, and
moreover for Win98 can sometimes be so-so. 1.4.2_08 was the only version of
that legacy series that Sun made available on its website and I believe it
was the final release. That in no way diminishes your comment, and I'll
likely uninstall it. The only java version I ever got to work really well
with Win98SE is Microsoft VM, but my understanding is that that is supposed
to be Hacker's Paradise. So until someone convinces me otherwise, this is a
problem without a good solution.

> Hey, not only do I uninstall the previous versions, including manual
> deletions, I even put the machine in show all files mode and delete the old
> browser plug-ins.
>
> This is the kind of thing that can happen to you when you read these boards
> too often.

Then you can imagine what *I* do..... %p
--

glee wrote:
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> Hey, not only do I uninstall the previous versions, including manual
>> deletions, I even put the machine in show all files mode and delete
>> the old browser plug-ins.
>>
>> This is the kind of thing that can happen to you when you read these
>> boards too often.
>
> Then you can imagine what *I* do..... %p

Yes but thanks to the MVPs I've got this box running like a '54 Studebaker
(won't start in winter, stalls in mid-ride, corrupted by bad gas, stays on
when key is turned off, lackluster company support, etc, etc)

Roger Fink wrote:
> glee wrote:
>> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>>> Hey, not only do I uninstall the previous versions, including manual
>>> deletions, I even put the machine in show all files mode and delete
>>> the old browser plug-ins.
>>>
>>> This is the kind of thing that can happen to you when you read these
>>> boards too often.
>>
>> Then you can imagine what *I* do..... %p
>
> Yes but thanks to the MVPs I've got this box running like a '54
> Studebaker (won't start in winter, stalls in mid-ride, corrupted by
> bad gas, stays on when key is turned off, lackluster company support,
> etc, etc)
And I forgot to mention, incompatible with newer Packard parts.

All the Studebakers in my neighborhood are fully restored and run great. Try not
using Packard parts in a Studebaker.....

Roger Fink wrote:
> Yes but thanks to the MVPs I've got this box running like a '54
> Studebaker (won't start in winter, stalls in mid-ride, corrupted by
> bad gas, stays on when key is turned off, lackluster company support,

Hey, don't knock Studebakers...

My 1951 Starlight coupe had a very handy feature - the arm rests in the
back lifted up, wheel wells below, and you could stick ice and beer
therein. Handy :)

Had a "hill holder" too.

--
dadiOH