cleanup windows temp folder???

I looked at the temp folder in my windows directory.

It seems to have lots of leftovers from old installs.

It has content IE5 under Temporay Inernet Files.

Can I delete all of the tmp files and folders.
Is there any chance that anything there is important.

I would like to delete the folders under Content IE5 also.
2 answers Last reply
More about cleanup windows temp folder

    Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab> Settings button
    Where it says "Temporary Internet Files folder" Current Location, what path does it
    show?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Travis" <dingdongy2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I looked at the temp folder in my windows directory.
    >
    > It seems to have lots of leftovers from old installs.
    >
    > It has content IE5 under Temporay Inernet Files.
    >
    > Can I delete all of the tmp files and folders.
    > Is there any chance that anything there is important.
    >
    > I would like to delete the folders under Content IE5 also.

    "Travis" <dingdongy2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I looked at the temp folder in my windows directory.
    >
    > It seems to have lots of leftovers from old installs.
    >
    > It has content IE5 under Temporay Inernet Files.
    >
    > Can I delete all of the tmp files and folders.
    > Is there any chance that anything there is important.
    >
    > I would like to delete the folders under Content IE5 also.

    1. / Temp Internet Files are best handled
    through your browser / Internet Tools / Options
    menus. You can choose how long the PC keeps
    data and where it is stored on the hard disk. The
    main purpose is to accelerate video display when
    connected to the Internet, by storing reused video
    components on the hard drive.

    2. Directories c:\temp and c:\windows\temp are
    used mainly for temporary storage by instal
    procedures, which in theory ought to delete
    themselves when the process has completed.
    After any satisfactory boot (i.e. no instal routines
    are pending or still incomplete) you can
    DELete c:\temp\*.* and DEL c:\windows\temp\*.*

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

Microsoft Windows