Can't get out of Safe Mode

Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have windows
98 as my operating system.
--
bill
13 answers Last reply

    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have
    windows
    > 98 as my operating system.
    > --
    > bill

    Does it say Safe Mode in all 4 corners of the screen?

    If it doesn't, you probably actually have a video driver issue.

    If it does, you may need to edit MSDOS.SYS
    to see if you have a BOOTSAFE=1 entry
    which needs to be changed to BOOTSAFE=0

    This will tell you how to edit the file

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

    How did you get *into* Safe Mode, and as Hugh asked, does it actually show "Safe
    Mode" in all four corners of the desktop?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have windows
    > 98 as my operating system.
    > --
    > bill

    If it is Safe Mode, "Safe Mode" will appear in all four corners. Also,
    there will be a requestor informing you of it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
    W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
    It says, delete "Wnbootng.sts", if you have it...

    (1) START button, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
    Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."
    (2) "START button, FIND, F/F, Wnbootng.sts". (Should be in C:\Windows.)
    R-Clk it, & select "Delete"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306615
    Always Starts in Safe Mode

    Here is a way to edit MSDOS.sys. This is an important file.

    (1) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options, View
    tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
    extensions..." too.
    (2) Find "C:\MSDOS.sys" and back it up. Call the backup MSDOS.bck, in
    C:\.
    (3) Then, R-Clk "C:\MSDOS.sys", Properties, and uncheck Read-Only.

    (4) Open it in Notepad, delete the "BootSafe=1", or change it to "=0",
    save it, & quit Notepad.

    (5) Then, R-Clk MSDOS.sys again, and make it Read-Only. Reboot.
    (6) Can't reboot? Then, in DOS, copy the backup over the one you've
    mussed.
    (a) ATTRIB -R -S -H C:\MSDOS.sys
    (b) COPY C:\MSDOS.bck C:\MSDOS.sys
    (c) ATTRIB +R +S +H C:\MSDOS.sys

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

    NOTE: If you have a "C:\Winboot.ini", it will override MSDOS.sys. So,
    check for that too. It has the same format/instruction set as the other.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have
    windows
    | 98 as my operating system.
    | --
    | bill

    Thanks all,

    I had the family member in question search for that file. She stated it was
    in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:

    windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she selects
    normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it go on its
    own, it will go into safe mode.

    ANY HELP??
    thanks

    "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks all,
    >
    > I had the family member in question search for that file. She stated it was
    > in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:
    >
    > windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she selects
    > normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it go on its
    > own, it will go into safe mode.
    >
    > ANY HELP??
    > thanks

    Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her screen.

    If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
    Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe Mode due to
    the large coarse display.

    Thanks..

    YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.

    Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that might of
    change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats IT

    Thanks

    "Buffalo" wrote:

    > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks all,
    > >
    > > I had the family member in question search for that file. She stated it was
    > > in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:
    > >
    > > windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she selects
    > > normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it go on its
    > > own, it will go into safe mode.
    > >
    > > ANY HELP??
    > > thanks
    >
    > Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her screen.
    >

    > If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
    > Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe Mode due to
    > the large coarse display.

    Well, didn't the article go on to say to do a SYS in that case...?...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
    W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
    .......Quote.........
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to delete the
    Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows folder, and then restart your computer.

    If you cannot resolve this issue by deleting the Wnbootng.sts file, use
    the following steps.

    Note: You must have a Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk to use the
    following steps. If you do not have a Startup disk, create one before
    you use these steps. To create a Startup disk, double-click Add/Remove
    Programs in Control Panel, click the Startup Disk tab, and then click
    Create Disk.
    (Alternatively, download a Startup Diskette from...
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    ....that is compatible with your system. Take either the one that creates
    a RAM disk or the other... PCR.)

    1. At a command prompt, type the following commands (where drive is your
    computer's physical boot disk), pressing ENTER after each command:

    attrib -s -h -r drive:\io.sys
    ren drive:\io.sys io.xxx

    [NOTES:
    (a) "drive" is "C:", very likely.
    (b) The article implies you have chosen "Command Prompt Only" from the
    Startup Menu that only gives you Safe Mode. Seems to me you may also
    enter those commands at an "A:\ Prompt" after booting the Starup
    Diskette... PCR.]

    2. Insert the Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk in drive A.

    3. Type the following command (where drive is your computer's physical
    boot disk), and then press ENTER:

    a:\sys drive:

    [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS" normally is
    put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...

    (a) D:\SYS C:
    (b) SYS C:

    ....at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]

    4. Remove the Startup disk, and then restart Windows 98 or Windows 95.
    ........EOQ...........

    But here are certain warnings against it from Jeff Richards, MS MVP
    W95/W98, about "SYS C:". DON'T DO IT, he says, if...

    (a) "Major errors were reported in Scandisk."
    (b) "A drive is moved from one machine to another", because of the next
    two, maybe.
    (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
    (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the overlay
    loaded."

    --
    | Thanks..
    |
    | YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.
    |
    | Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that
    might of
    | change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats IT
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | "Buffalo" wrote:
    |

    | > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > Thanks all,
    | > >
    | > > I had the family member in question search for that file. She
    stated it was
    | > > in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:
    | > >
    | > > windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she
    selects
    | > > normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it
    go on its
    | > > own, it will go into safe mode.
    | > >
    | > > ANY HELP??
    | > > thanks
    | >
    | > Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her
    screen.

    | > If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
    | > Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe
    Mode due to
    | > the large coarse display.

    | [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS" normally
    is
    | put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
    |
    | (a) D:\SYS C:
    | (b) SYS C:
    |
    | ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]

    It won't necessarily be D:. It will be one higher than your current
    highest hard drive partition letter. I believe the Startup Diskette will
    say what it's letter is. Watch the screen as you boot it.

    --
> [...]
    |
    | a:\sys drive:
    |
    | [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS" normally
    is
    | put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
    |
    | (a) D:\SYS C:
    | (b) SYS C:
    |
    | ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]
    |
    | 4. Remove the Startup disk, and then restart Windows 98 or Windows 95.
    | .......EOQ...........
    |
    | But here are certain warnings against it from Jeff Richards, MS MVP
    | W95/W98, about "SYS C:". DON'T DO IT, he says, if...
    |
    | (a) "Major errors were reported in Scandisk."
    | (b) "A drive is moved from one machine to another", because of the
    next
    | two, maybe.
    | (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
    | (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the

    | |
    | | YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.
    | |
    | | Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that
    | might of
    | | change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats
    IT
    | |
    | | Thanks
    | |
    | | "Buffalo" wrote:
    | |

    | | > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | stated it was

    | selects
    | go on its

    | | > Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her
    | screen.
    | | >

    | | > If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
    | | > Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe
    | Mode due to
    | | > the large coarse display.

    Thanks..

    Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old and not
    the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state. Having a
    family member come by.

    Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > | (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
    > | (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the
    > overlay
    > | loaded."
    > |

    > | --
    > | Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | should things get worse after this,
    > | PCR
    > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | | Thanks..
    > | |
    > | | YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.
    > | |
    > | | Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that
    > | might of
    > | | change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats

    I guess it could have resulted from the payload of a virus. After it
    hopefully is back up, run a good virus scan. Here is what cquirke posts
    for a DOS-based one...

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
    www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
    www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
    www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation

    But some have complained that is tough to do! (Won't fit on a floppy or
    something.)

    --
    | Thanks..
    |
    | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old and
    not
    | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state. Having
    | family member come by.
    |
    | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > | [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS"
    normally
    | > is
    | > | put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
    | > |
    | > | (a) D:\SYS C:
    | > | (b) SYS C:
    | > |
    | > | ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]
    | >
    | > It won't necessarily be D:. It will be one higher than your current
    | > highest hard drive partition letter. I believe the Startup Diskette
    will
    | > say what it's letter is. Watch the screen as you boot it.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > | Well, didn't the article go on to say to do a SYS in that
    case...?...
    | > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
    | > | W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
    | > | ......Quote.........
    | > | RESOLUTION
    | > | To resolve this issue, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to
    delete
    | > the
    | > | Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows folder, and then restart your
    | > computer.
    | > |
    | > | If you cannot resolve this issue by deleting the Wnbootng.sts
    file,
    | > use
    | > | the following steps.
    | > |
    | > | Note: You must have a Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk to use
    the
    | > | following steps. If you do not have a Startup disk, create one
    before
    | > | you use these steps. To create a Startup disk, double-click
    Add/Remove
    | > | Programs in Control Panel, click the Startup Disk tab, and then
    click
    | > | Create Disk.
    | > | (Alternatively, download a Startup Diskette from...
    | > | http://www.bootdisk.com/
    | > | ...that is compatible with your system. Take either the one that
    | > creates
    | > | a RAM disk or the other... PCR.)
    | > |
    | > | 1. At a command prompt, type the following commands (where drive
    is
    | > your
    | > | computer's physical boot disk), pressing ENTER after each command:
    | > |
    | > | attrib -s -h -r drive:\io.sys
    | > | ren drive:\io.sys io.xxx
    | > |
    | > | [NOTES:
    | > | (a) "drive" is "C:", very likely.
    | > | (b) The article implies you have chosen "Command Prompt Only"
    from
    | > the
    | > | Startup Menu that only gives you Safe Mode. Seems to me you may
    also
    | > | enter those commands at an "A:\ Prompt" after booting the Starup
    | > | Diskette... PCR.]
    | > |
    | > | 2. Insert the Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk in drive A.
    | > |
    | > | 3. Type the following command (where drive is your computer's
    physical
    | > | boot disk), and then press ENTER:
    | > |
    | > | a:\sys drive:
    | > |
    | > | [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS"
    normally
    | > is
    | > | put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
    | > |
    | > | (a) D:\SYS C:
    | > | (b) SYS C:
    | > |
    | > | ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]
    | > |
    | > | 4. Remove the Startup disk, and then restart Windows 98 or Windows
    95.
    | > | .......EOQ...........
    | > |
    | > | But here are certain warnings against it from Jeff Richards, MS
    MVP
    | > | W95/W98, about "SYS C:". DON'T DO IT, he says, if...
    | > |
    | > | (a) "Major errors were reported in Scandisk."
    | > | (b) "A drive is moved from one machine to another", because of the
    | > next
    | > | two, maybe.
    | > | (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
    | > | (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the
    | > overlay
    | > | loaded."
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > | should things get worse after this,
    | > | PCR
    | > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > | "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | might of
    thats
    | > IT
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |

    She
    | > | stated it was

    | > | selects
    | > | go on its

    | > | screen.

    Safe
    | > | Mode due to

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Think it could be a virus.... I had her run norton (which I updated the
    definitions while I was there in may). She was unable to scan her
    computer. ONLY allowed to scan floppy...

    make any sense?

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Thanks..
    > |
    > | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old and
    > not
    > | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state. Having
    > | family member come by.
    > |
    > | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..

    > normally
    > | > is
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > It won't necessarily be D:. It will be one higher than your current
    > | > highest hard drive partition letter. I believe the Startup Diskette
    > will
    > | > say what it's letter is. Watch the screen as you boot it.

    Could be the damage is preventing access to that partition, but not
    necessarily that a virus caused the damage. You did say "there was storm
    and the power went out in the house". How soon after that did the
    problem begin?

    Better get her a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It has saved me
    multiple times, & you DON'T need to install the software.

    --
    | Think it could be a virus.... I had her run norton (which I updated
    the
    | definitions while I was there in may). She was unable to scan her
    | computer. ONLY allowed to scan floppy...
    |
    | make any sense?
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > I guess it could have resulted from the payload of a virus. After it
    | > hopefully is back up, run a good virus scan. Here is what cquirke
    posts
    | > for a DOS-based one...
    | >
    | > http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
    | > www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
    | > www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
    | > www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
    | >
    | > But some have complained that is tough to do! (Won't fit on a floppy
    or
    | > something.)
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Thanks..
    | > |
    | > | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old
    and
    | > not
    | > | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state.
    Having
    | > | family member come by.
    | > |
    | > | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" wrote:
    | > |
    | > normally
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    Diskette
    | > will

    | > case...?...
    | > | > |
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
    | > delete
    | > | > |
    | > file,
    | > | > |
    | > the
    | > before
    | > Add/Remove
    | > click
    | > | > |
    | > is
    command:
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > from
    | > also
    Starup
    | > | > |
    A.
    | > | > |
    | > physical
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > normally
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    Windows
    | > 95.
    | > | > |
    MS
    | > MVP
    | > | > |
    LARGE)."
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > | |
    | > | > | |
    | > that
    | > thats
    | > | > | |
    | > | > | |
    | > | > | |

    | > She

    | > she
    | > lets it

    | > her

    | > Safe

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    Could be the damage is preventing access to that partition, but not
    necessarily that a virus caused the damage. You did say "there was storm
    and the power went out in the house". How soon after that did the
    problem begin?

    Better get her a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It has saved me
    multiple times, & you DON'T need to install the software.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Think it could be a virus.... I had her run norton (which I updated
    the
    | definitions while I was there in may). She was unable to scan her
    | computer. ONLY allowed to scan floppy...
    |
    | make any sense?
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > I guess it could have resulted from the payload of a virus. After it
    | > hopefully is back up, run a good virus scan. Here is what cquirke
    posts
    | > for a DOS-based one...
    | >
    | > http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
    | > www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
    | > www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
    | > www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
    | >
    | > But some have complained that is tough to do! (Won't fit on a floppy
    or
    | > something.)
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Thanks..
    | > |
    | > | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old
    and
    | > not
    | > | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state.
    Having
    | > | family member come by.
    | > |
    | > | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" wrote:
    | > |
    | > normally