Can't get out of Safe Mode

bill

Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have windows
98 as my operating system.
--
bill

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have
windows
> 98 as my operating system.
> --
> bill

Does it say Safe Mode in all 4 corners of the screen?

If it doesn't, you probably actually have a video driver issue.

If it does, you may need to edit MSDOS.SYS
to see if you have a BOOTSAFE=1 entry
which needs to be changed to BOOTSAFE=0

This will tell you how to edit the file

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

How did you get *into* Safe Mode, and as Hugh asked, does it actually show "Safe
Mode" in all four corners of the desktop?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have windows
> 98 as my operating system.
> --
> bill

If it is Safe Mode, "Safe Mode" will appear in all four corners. Also,
there will be a requestor informing you of it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
It says, delete "Wnbootng.sts", if you have it...

(1) START button, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."
(2) "START button, FIND, F/F, Wnbootng.sts". (Should be in C:\Windows.)
R-Clk it, & select "Delete"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306615
Always Starts in Safe Mode

Here is a way to edit MSDOS.sys. This is an important file.

(1) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options, View
tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
extensions..." too.
(2) Find "C:\MSDOS.sys" and back it up. Call the backup MSDOS.bck, in
C:\.
(3) Then, R-Clk "C:\MSDOS.sys", Properties, and uncheck Read-Only.

(4) Open it in Notepad, delete the "BootSafe=1", or change it to "=0",
save it, & quit Notepad.

(5) Then, R-Clk MSDOS.sys again, and make it Read-Only. Reboot.
(6) Can't reboot? Then, in DOS, copy the backup over the one you've
mussed.
(a) ATTRIB -R -S -H C:\MSDOS.sys
(b) COPY C:\MSDOS.bck C:\MSDOS.sys
(c) ATTRIB +R +S +H C:\MSDOS.sys

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

NOTE: If you have a "C:\Winboot.ini", it will override MSDOS.sys. So,
check for that too. It has the same format/instruction set as the other.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Ineed help please. I can't get my computer out of Safe Mode. I have
windows
| 98 as my operating system.
| --
| bill

Thanks all,

I had the family member in question search for that file. She stated it was
in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:

windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she selects
normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it go on its
own, it will go into safe mode.

ANY HELP??
thanks

"Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks all,
>
> I had the family member in question search for that file. She stated it was
> in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:
>
> windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she selects
> normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it go on its
> own, it will go into safe mode.
>
> ANY HELP??
> thanks

Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her screen.

If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe Mode due to
the large coarse display.

Thanks..

YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.

Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that might of
change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats IT

Thanks

"Buffalo" wrote:

> "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks all,
> >
> > I had the family member in question search for that file. She stated it was
> > in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:
> >
> > windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she selects
> > normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it go on its
> > own, it will go into safe mode.
> >
> > ANY HELP??
> > thanks
>
> Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her screen.
>

> If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
> Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe Mode due to
> the large coarse display.

Well, didn't the article go on to say to do a SYS in that case...?...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
.......Quote.........
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to delete the
Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows folder, and then restart your computer.

If you cannot resolve this issue by deleting the Wnbootng.sts file, use
the following steps.

Note: You must have a Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk to use the
following steps. If you do not have a Startup disk, create one before
you use these steps. To create a Startup disk, double-click Add/Remove
Programs in Control Panel, click the Startup Disk tab, and then click
Create Disk.
(Alternatively, download a Startup Diskette from...
http://www.bootdisk.com/
....that is compatible with your system. Take either the one that creates
a RAM disk or the other... PCR.)

1. At a command prompt, type the following commands (where drive is your
computer's physical boot disk), pressing ENTER after each command:

attrib -s -h -r drive:\io.sys
ren drive:\io.sys io.xxx

[NOTES:
(a) "drive" is "C:", very likely.
(b) The article implies you have chosen "Command Prompt Only" from the
Startup Menu that only gives you Safe Mode. Seems to me you may also
enter those commands at an "A:\ Prompt" after booting the Starup
Diskette... PCR.]

2. Insert the Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk in drive A.

3. Type the following command (where drive is your computer's physical
boot disk), and then press ENTER:

a:\sys drive:

[Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS" normally is
put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...

(a) D:\SYS C:
(b) SYS C:

....at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]

4. Remove the Startup disk, and then restart Windows 98 or Windows 95.
........EOQ...........

But here are certain warnings against it from Jeff Richards, MS MVP
W95/W98, about "SYS C:". DON'T DO IT, he says, if...

(a) "Major errors were reported in Scandisk."
(b) "A drive is moved from one machine to another", because of the next
two, maybe.
(c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
(d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the overlay
loaded."

--
| Thanks..
|
| YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.
|
| Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that
might of
| change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats IT
|
| Thanks
|
| "Buffalo" wrote:
|

| > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Thanks all,
| > >
| > > I had the family member in question search for that file. She
stated it was
| > > in C:\ I had her delete it, same problem:
| > >
| > > windows just only goes in safe mode. If she gets the menu, she
selects
| > > normal mode - yet it continues to give that menu. If she lets it
go on its
| > > own, it will go into safe mode.
| > >
| > > ANY HELP??
| > > thanks
| >
| > Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her
screen.

| > If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
| > Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe
Mode due to
| > the large coarse display.

| [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS" normally
is
| put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
|
| (a) D:\SYS C:
| (b) SYS C:
|
| ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]

It won't necessarily be D:. It will be one higher than your current
highest hard drive partition letter. I believe the Startup Diskette will
say what it's letter is. Watch the screen as you boot it.

--
> [...]
|
| a:\sys drive:
|
| [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS" normally
is
| put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
|
| (a) D:\SYS C:
| (b) SYS C:
|
| ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]
|
| 4. Remove the Startup disk, and then restart Windows 98 or Windows 95.
| .......EOQ...........
|
| But here are certain warnings against it from Jeff Richards, MS MVP
| W95/W98, about "SYS C:". DON'T DO IT, he says, if...
|
| (a) "Major errors were reported in Scandisk."
| (b) "A drive is moved from one machine to another", because of the
next
| two, maybe.
| (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
| (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the

| |
| | YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.
| |
| | Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that
| might of
| | change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats
IT
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | "Buffalo" wrote:
| |

| | > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| stated it was

| selects
| go on its

| | > Please ask her if she can see Safe Mode in all four corners of her
| screen.
| | >

| | > If she cannot, then it is not in Safe Mode.
| | > Having a corrupted Display Driver can give the appearance of Safe
| Mode due to
| | > the large coarse display.

Thanks..

Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old and not
the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state. Having a
family member come by.

Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> | (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
> | (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the
> overlay
> | loaded."
> |

> | --
> | Thanks or Good Luck,
> | There may be humor in this post, and,
> | Naturally, you will not sue,
> | should things get worse after this,
> | PCR
> | pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | | Thanks..
> | |
> | | YES she does see safe mode on all four corners.
> | |
> | | Trust me she doesn't hve a clue on changing things. Only thing that
> | might of
> | | change, there was storm and the power went out in the house. thats

I guess it could have resulted from the payload of a virus. After it
hopefully is back up, run a good virus scan. Here is what cquirke posts
for a DOS-based one...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation

But some have complained that is tough to do! (Won't fit on a floppy or
something.)

--
| Thanks..
|
| Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old and
not
| the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state. Having
| family member come by.
|
| Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > | [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS"
normally
| > is
| > | put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
| > |
| > | (a) D:\SYS C:
| > | (b) SYS C:
| > |
| > | ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]
| >
| > It won't necessarily be D:. It will be one higher than your current
| > highest hard drive partition letter. I believe the Startup Diskette
will
| > say what it's letter is. Watch the screen as you boot it.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > | Well, didn't the article go on to say to do a SYS in that
case...?...
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
| > | W98 Defaults to Safe Mode
| > | ......Quote.........
| > | RESOLUTION
| > | To resolve this issue, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to
delete
| > the
| > | Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows folder, and then restart your
| > computer.
| > |
| > | If you cannot resolve this issue by deleting the Wnbootng.sts
file,
| > use
| > | the following steps.
| > |
| > | Note: You must have a Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk to use
the
| > | following steps. If you do not have a Startup disk, create one
before
| > | you use these steps. To create a Startup disk, double-click
Add/Remove
| > | Programs in Control Panel, click the Startup Disk tab, and then
click
| > | Create Disk.
| > | (Alternatively, download a Startup Diskette from...
| > | http://www.bootdisk.com/
| > | ...that is compatible with your system. Take either the one that
| > creates
| > | a RAM disk or the other... PCR.)
| > |
| > | 1. At a command prompt, type the following commands (where drive
is
| > your
| > | computer's physical boot disk), pressing ENTER after each command:
| > |
| > | attrib -s -h -r drive:\io.sys
| > | ren drive:\io.sys io.xxx
| > |
| > | [NOTES:
| > | (a) "drive" is "C:", very likely.
| > | (b) The article implies you have chosen "Command Prompt Only"
from
| > the
| > | Startup Menu that only gives you Safe Mode. Seems to me you may
also
| > | enter those commands at an "A:\ Prompt" after booting the Starup
| > | Diskette... PCR.]
| > |
| > | 2. Insert the Windows 98 or Windows 95 Startup disk in drive A.
| > |
| > | 3. Type the following command (where drive is your computer's
physical
| > | boot disk), and then press ENTER:
| > |
| > | a:\sys drive:
| > |
| > | [Note: If you have had to boot the Startup Diskette, "SYS"
normally
| > is
| > | put into the RAM:drive, which would be "D:". Therefore, try...
| > |
| > | (a) D:\SYS C:
| > | (b) SYS C:
| > |
| > | ...at the A:\Prompt, if the top one fails... PCR.]
| > |
| > | 4. Remove the Startup disk, and then restart Windows 98 or Windows
95.
| > | .......EOQ...........
| > |
| > | But here are certain warnings against it from Jeff Richards, MS
MVP
| > | W95/W98, about "SYS C:". DON'T DO IT, he says, if...
| > |
| > | (a) "Major errors were reported in Scandisk."
| > | (b) "A drive is moved from one machine to another", because of the
| > next
| > | two, maybe.
| > | (c) "The BIOS setting for a drive is changed (eg, LBA to LARGE)."
| > | (d) "A drive that uses overlay software is operated without the
| > overlay
| > | loaded."
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Thanks or Good Luck,
| > | There may be humor in this post, and,
| > | Naturally, you will not sue,
| > | should things get worse after this,
| > | PCR
| > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > | "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | |
| > | |
| > | might of
thats
| > IT
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |

She
| > | stated it was

| > | selects
| > | go on its

| > | screen.

Safe
| > | Mode due to

| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Think it could be a virus.... I had her run norton (which I updated the
definitions while I was there in may). She was unable to scan her
computer. ONLY allowed to scan floppy...

make any sense?

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks..
> |
> | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old and
> not
> | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state. Having
> | family member come by.
> |
> | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..

> normally
> | > is
> | > |
> | > |

> | > It won't necessarily be D:. It will be one higher than your current
> | > highest hard drive partition letter. I believe the Startup Diskette
> will
> | > say what it's letter is. Watch the screen as you boot it.

Could be the damage is preventing access to that partition, but not
necessarily that a virus caused the damage. You did say "there was storm
and the power went out in the house". How soon after that did the
problem begin?

Better get her a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It has saved me
multiple times, & you DON'T need to install the software.

--
| Think it could be a virus.... I had her run norton (which I updated
the
| definitions while I was there in may). She was unable to scan her
| computer. ONLY allowed to scan floppy...
|
| make any sense?
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > I guess it could have resulted from the payload of a virus. After it
| > hopefully is back up, run a good virus scan. Here is what cquirke
posts
| > for a DOS-based one...
| >
| > http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
| > www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
| > www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
| > www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
| >
| > But some have complained that is tough to do! (Won't fit on a floppy
or
| > something.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Thanks..
| > |
| > | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old
and
| > not
| > | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state.
Having
| > | family member come by.
| > |
| > | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..
| > |
| > | "PCR" wrote:
| > |
| > normally
| > | > |
| > | > |

Diskette
| > will

| > case...?...
| > | > |
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q143283
| > delete
| > | > |
| > file,
| > | > |
| > the
| > before
| > Add/Remove
| > click
| > | > |
| > is
command:
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > from
| > also
Starup
| > | > |
A.
| > | > |
| > physical
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > normally
| > | > |
| > | > |
Windows
| > 95.
| > | > |
MS
| > MVP
| > | > |
LARGE)."
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > that
| > thats
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > | > | |

| > She

| > she
| > lets it

| > her

| > Safe

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

Could be the damage is preventing access to that partition, but not
necessarily that a virus caused the damage. You did say "there was storm
and the power went out in the house". How soon after that did the
problem begin?

Better get her a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It has saved me
multiple times, & you DON'T need to install the software.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Think it could be a virus.... I had her run norton (which I updated
the
| definitions while I was there in may). She was unable to scan her
| computer. ONLY allowed to scan floppy...
|
| make any sense?
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > I guess it could have resulted from the payload of a virus. After it
| > hopefully is back up, run a good virus scan. Here is what cquirke
posts
| > for a DOS-based one...
| >
| > http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - formal scanning
| > www.f-prot.com - free DOS-based av
| > www.nod32.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
| > www.sophos.com - free DOS-based av evaluation
| >
| > But some have complained that is tough to do! (Won't fit on a floppy
or
| > something.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Paul B" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Thanks..
| > |
| > | Haven't been able to do that yet. This is for my mom (who is old
and
| > not
| > | the greatest pc user). Plus I am not located in the same state.
Having
| > | family member come by.
| > |
| > | Meantime, could it be a virus??? Just a thought..
| > |
| > | "PCR" wrote:
| > |
| > normally