USB port not available to Printer

Win98SE and HP-3550 Printer

My existing printer has been installed and work for a long while

Today I got the message that USB002 was unavailable for Network
Printing
(Odd as I thought USB connected printers were local !)

After several attempts to check the USB port, printer connections etc
etc - Ports fine, cable ok
I deleted the printer, when I add it back in as a local printer
I don't have a USB port to choose from (LPT1, FILE etc all present)

I've rebooted, searched for hardware, my other usb device works fine
in the same port...

any ideas ?

--

Steve
2 answers Last reply

    My printer, an Epson, requires use of a program that comes with the
    printer. This program creates a local port named PRT, and thn one
    tells Windows to access the printer via PRT.
    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:28:53 -0700, Bill Starbuck
    <no_email@please.com> wrote:

    >My printer, an Epson, requires use of a program that comes with the
    >printer. This program creates a local port named PRT, and thn one
    >tells Windows to access the printer via PRT.
    >Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    good thinking

    I'll re-install as per HP instructions...

    --

    Steve

USB Printers Windows