USB driver problems

I reinstalled 98 SE on my buddies PC. I tried to install a Cable Modem and a
Printer
both with USB drivers. Neither one will install. I go into the Install
Wizard, select a location, find the .inf file, and it tells me that the
location does not contain and information on the device. I get the same error
for both. When I used the CD from HP I selected USB during the install, next
it brought up a Read Me file on how to install a printer from "Add a Printer"
Need Help. Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about driver problems

    "Mike Busch" <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I reinstalled 98 SE on my buddies PC. I tried to install a Cable Modem and
    > Printer both with USB drivers. Neither one will install. I go into the
    Install
    > Wizard, select a location, find the .inf file, and it tells me that the
    > location does not contain and information on the device. I get the same
    error

    *.INF files are all ASCII (text)
    i.e. you can read them in Wordpad or Notepad to
    ensure they do in fact specify the right OS and
    the right device you want to instal.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Did instructions and software come with the cable modem? I doubt that W98SE
    has a driver for it. Did you try the HP instructions for the printer? I
    have found that many printers install differently and it pays to read the
    instructions.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Mike Busch" <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I reinstalled 98 SE on my buddies PC. I tried to install a Cable Modem and
    > Printer
    > both with USB drivers. Neither one will install. I go into the Install
    > Wizard, select a location, find the .inf file, and it tells me that the
    > location does not contain and information on the device. I get the same
    > error
    > for both. When I used the CD from HP I selected USB during the install,
    > next
    > it brought up a Read Me file on how to install a printer from "Add a
    > Printer"
    > Need Help. Thanks in advance.

    I previously installed the Modem, and I know it was working off the USB
    driver before. The printer, I popped in the install disk, once I selected USB
    a read me file would come up and instruct me as to how to install with Add
    Printer. this happened with the printer first, but when it would not allow me
    to install the modem, I figured that is was something with the OS.

    "Ron Badour" wrote:

    > Did instructions and software come with the cable modem? I doubt that W98SE
    > has a driver for it. Did you try the HP instructions for the printer? I
    > have found that many printers install differently and it pays to read the
    > instructions.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "Mike Busch" <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I reinstalled 98 SE on my buddies PC. I tried to install a Cable Modem and
    > > Printer
    > > both with USB drivers. Neither one will install. I go into the Install
    > > Wizard, select a location, find the .inf file, and it tells me that the
    > > location does not contain and information on the device. I get the same
    > > error
    > > for both. When I used the CD from HP I selected USB during the install,
    > > next
    > > it brought up a Read Me file on how to install a printer from "Add a
    > > Printer"
    > > Need Help. Thanks in advance.

    Is the USB port enabled in the BIOS?

    Bob

    "Mike Busch" <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I reinstalled 98 SE on my buddies PC. I tried to install a Cable Modem and
    > Printer
    > both with USB drivers. Neither one will install. I go into the Install
    > Wizard, select a location, find the .inf file, and it tells me that the
    > location does not contain and information on the device. I get the same
    error
    > for both. When I used the CD from HP I selected USB during the install,
    next
    > it brought up a Read Me file on how to install a printer from "Add a
    Printer"
    > Need Help. Thanks in advance.

USB Printers Windows