PMDG 737 and 747

Hello All,

Now that I've got hold of the 747 it's time to confess that although I liked
the 737 very much I never worked out how to use the FMC, and so didn't use
the aircraft to any great extent.

I expect a similar thing will happen with the 747 unless I face up to my
deficiency and learn how to use the thing.

So, can anyone recommend a guide for using the 737 FMC, and presumably now
the 747 FMC? Something suitable for morons with low attention spans would
be most appropriate...

Jon

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

AW, WOW! The FMC MAKES the PLANE mah man. If any plane could have such an
intuitive control over takeoff and landing I would buy it. GPS comes close
for Cessnas and such.

FMC controls everything, here is one tut for it:
http://www.airseatac.com/flightschool/pmdg737/pmdg-737ng-introduction.htm

Once you get used to the FMC you'll never go back to NOT using it ;)

2992

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:00:13 +0100, Jon Silk wrote:

> Now that I've got hold of the 747 it's time to confess that although I liked
> the 737 very much I never worked out how to use the FMC, and so didn't use
> the aircraft to any great extent.
>
> I expect a similar thing will happen with the 747 unless I face up to my
> deficiency and learn how to use the thing.
>
> So, can anyone recommend a guide for using the 737 FMC, and presumably now
> the 747 FMC? Something suitable for morons with low attention spans would
> be most appropriate...

I think I'm happy that I got the 747-400 manual from the download section
of PMDG's website before it also got closed down!
In that manual the use of the FMC is thoroughly explained.
From the first glance it looks like the same unit the 737NG is equipped
with, with the exception that the FMC in the 747-400 has a few options the
737NG 600-700 doesn't have.

The zip is 8MB. If you want it by e-mail, just tell me where to mail it to.
The whole PDF is quite an interesting read.
It looks a lot like Tim Metzinger's PMDG737NG manual combined with the
paper PSS747-400 manuals.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

"2992" <nope@no_one.com> wrote in message news:Ht9Ie.5$KX4.1@okepread05...
> AW, WOW! The FMC MAKES the PLANE mah man. If any plane could have such an
> intuitive control over takeoff and landing I would buy it. GPS comes close
> for Cessnas and such.
>
> FMC controls everything, here is one tut for it:
> http://www.airseatac.com/flightschool/pmdg737/pmdg-737ng-introduction.htm
>
> Once you get used to the FMC you'll never go back to NOT using it ;)

Well, with the 737NG, having used the FMC I have to say that it can be
boring. My preferred method is to programme the route into the FMC so that I
get the route showing up on the screen and then just engage the A/P but not
LNAV or VNAV but operate the A/P for heading and level changes myself. I
also prefer to land and take off manually. Otherwise, what is the point of
FS? :0))

Iain

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> Well, with the 737NG, having used the FMC I have to say that it can be
> boring. My preferred method is to programme the route into the FMC so that
> I get the route showing up on the screen and then just engage the A/P but
> not LNAV or VNAV but operate the A/P for heading and level changes myself.
> I also prefer to land and take off manually. Otherwise, what is the point
> of FS? :0))
>
> Iain

But people's lives are at stake! Virtual people are a live in your plane,
better not make ONE mistake, buddy.... ;)

I have to say WOW to the 747, it has so much detail it's not even funny. So
much to learn and stuff. Just start at Gate XXX and taxi with two engines,
turn on the "No Smoking" signal and "Fasten Seatbelts" too. Drop them oxygen
masks if needed.

Back to the FMC, I land manually too, for the 737, it's a more forgiving
bird. I plan on using the 747-400 for a while and get used to ILS, I'm gonna
need it! ;)

I started to feel like the engineer on one of those computer
controlled trains at the airports, when flying the FMC. I haven't
flown my PMDG 737 in months and months, and am enjoying the heck out
of my Aeroworx B-200 King Air and Carenado C182-RG. That to me , is
flying......

Bob

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:06:25 -0500, "2992" <nope@no_one.com> wrote:

>AW, WOW! The FMC MAKES the PLANE mah man. If any plane could have such an
>intuitive control over takeoff and landing I would buy it. GPS comes close
>for Cessnas and such.
>
>FMC controls everything, here is one tut for it:
>http://www.airseatac.com/flightschool/pmdg737/pmdg-737ng-introduction.htm
>
>Once you get used to the FMC you'll never go back to NOT using it ;)
>
>2992
>

>"Jon Silk" <jon.silk@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Now that I've got hold of the 747 it's time to confess that although I
>> liked the 737 very much I never worked out how to use the FMC, and so
>> didn't use the aircraft to any great extent.
>>
>> I expect a similar thing will happen with the 747 unless I face up to my
>> deficiency and learn how to use the thing.
>>
>> So, can anyone recommend a guide for using the 737 FMC, and presumably now
>> the 747 FMC? Something suitable for morons with low attention spans would
>> be most appropriate...
>>
>> Jon

I just saw this for a tutorial in the Avsim Library files: File name:
pmdg_737ng_flight_tutorial.zip

A small download and look at the benefits.

Mark G
Not4wood

"Jon Silk" <jon.silk@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> Now that I've got hold of the 747 it's time to confess that although I
> liked the 737 very much I never worked out how to use the FMC, and so
> didn't use the aircraft to any great extent.
>
> I expect a similar thing will happen with the 747 unless I face up to my
> deficiency and learn how to use the thing.
>
> So, can anyone recommend a guide for using the 737 FMC, and presumably now
> the 747 FMC? Something suitable for morons with low attention spans would
> be most appropriate...
>
> Jon

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>So, can anyone recommend a guide for using the 737 FMC, and presumably now
>the 747 FMC? Something suitable for morons with low attention spans would
>be most appropriate...

Try downloading the Level-D 767 tutorial flights from AVSIM. The
first tutorial is a gentle introduction to the FMC, the further
tutorials go on to explain things like VNAV which just about everyone
has trouble with.

I've no experience of the PMDG 737, but based on the screenshots the
747 FMC seems to be taken from the same original model as the LD767.

HTH
Gary