english/german XP ?

Hi guys,

I would have 2 questions and hope anybody can answer. Thanks in advance.

1.. What´s the "exact" difference between an English & German OS (XP)?
- Is it only the Default settings within the "Regional and Language
Options"?

2.. Where can I see which OS was installed actually? Is there anywhere a
status within the Settings or anywhere in the system information, registry
etc. ?

Thanks a million

Maik
3 answers Last reply
More about english german

    Hi,

    > 1.. What´s the "exact" difference between an English & German OS (XP)?
    > - Is it only the Default settings within the "Regional and
    > Language Options"?

    No. The difference is in the language version of the supplied system and
    library files. They are not interchangeable, which is why there is no easy
    way to switch the language of the installed system.

    > 2.. Where can I see which OS was installed actually? Is there anywhere a
    > status within the Settings or anywhere in the system information, registry
    > etc. ?

    Look simply at the language used for default system tools. Winver, msinfo32,
    msconfig.....

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Well, MS offers the language pack if you are a corporate. Than you have the
    chance to switch languages. But, your main OS must be US! The other languages
    will be "add-on's".

    If you are no corporate, no change 2 get that ;-(

    "Maik Richter" wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >

    > I would have 2 questions and hope anybody can answer. Thanks in advance.
    >

    > 1.. What´s the "exact" difference between an English & German OS (XP)?
    > - Is it only the Default settings within the "Regional and Language
    > Options"?
    >

    > 2.. Where can I see which OS was installed actually? Is there anywhere a
    > status within the Settings or anywhere in the system information, registry
    > etc. ?
    >

    > Thanks a million
    >
    > Maik

    Hi! Maik Richter,

    What is your intention?
    (Why are you asking this kind of question?)
    Obviously German Version of XP's HELP, MENU etc. UI(User Interface) are in German.(Not in English)
    If you want to switch UI (User Interface, i.e. HELP, MENU, Wizard etc.)
    mutli-languages, then WindowsXP Pro & MUI Pack AND MS-Office2003 & MUI Pack are best solution,
    but if you use only contents of MS-Office, IE, Outlook Express etc. in mutli-language,
    then you can use many lanaguages in multi-lanugage without MUI Pack(s)

    See Next Resources for your reference ( I hope these can help/work for you.):
    Windows MUI/LIP Knowledge Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/muizone.mspx

    Multilingual Features in Windows XP Professional
    http://www-pc.uni-regensburg.de/systemsw/WinXP/Info/MultilingualXP.doc

    (Multilingual) Proofing Tools for Office 2003 Editions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/language/proofingtools.mspx

    Multilingual Proofing Tools
    http://www.spellex.com/Multilingual/default.asp?q=proofing+tools

    Best Luck!
    Yujiro Oda,

    "Maik Richter" <maik.richter2@gmx.de> wrote in message news:e0tlfewmEHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I would have 2 questions and hope anybody can answer. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > 1.. What$B%((Bs the "exact" difference between an English & German OS (XP)?
    > - Is it only the Default settings within the "Regional and Language
    > Options"?
    >
    > 2.. Where can I see which OS was installed actually? Is there anywhere a
    > status within the Settings or anywhere in the system information, registry
    > etc. ?

Microsoft Windows XP