Sign in with
Your question

MSI K8N Neo4 Boot Question - Won't boot off SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
May 5, 2006 1:28:12 PM

I have 4 HD's on my PC. I have my Raptor connected to the 1st SATA connector, and that's what I'd like to use, but the only way I can get it to boot from it is to hit F11 and select CD-Rom as booting device and have my WinXP cd in the drive. Then I wait until it says press any key to boot from CD, and don't press anything, and it boots fine. When I try to boot from the SATA drive, it says BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK. I don't have a raid configuration, both Windows and the BIOS detect the drive, and I went to the BIOS and made sure that boot priority was set to HD 1st, and made the raptor the 1st HD under the boot sequence settings. How do I get the PC to boot off the Raptor without using the CD? Also, I now have tried creating a RAID array and using the driver disk during installation of Windows. I still have the same problem. It seems that I can't get the array to map to the "C" drive of my PC, even though I moved it to the top of the boot sequence. I have also installed the latest BIOS. I did set the array to bootable when I created it. I have yet to hear from MSI about this.
Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2006 4:23:20 PM

The manual has easy to follow instructions on how to create a bootable array. You need to enable raid in the bios and for each SATA port used in the array. You also need to create the array first and mark it bootable. Then install windows and when it says "press F6" to install additional drivers you need to put the appropriate diskette in the floppy drive. The board comes with two floppies, one for the NVRaid and one for the SiliconImage raid. I haven't used the SI raid, but for the NVRaid, you need to install the "SATA STORAGE Controller" and the "SATA Raid" drivers. After you've added these two drivers, continue with the windows installation.

If you are going to boot from SATA (non raid) you need to disable raid in the bios, and enable the appropriate SATA ports. You should not need any special drivers for this method, at least not for the NVidia ports. I think the SI ports are for raid only, but I'm not sure as I haven't tried using mine yet.

Also, you've posted this same question in at least four different posts. Not very good netiquette.
May 8, 2006 10:15:47 PM

I have read the manual, and have done everything you mentioned. I have run diagnostics on the drive as well, and they report that the drive is fine. I'm going to try to use the latest Nvidia drivers that I have d/l from their site and see what happens. I think it's a BIOS issue though, because my SATA drive, either when configured as a RAID array or when not, never maps as the "C" drive. I have it set as my first boot device in the BIOS. Here's my Setup if it helps:
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
AMD FX-53
1GB Kingston HyperX Ram
74GB WD Raptor (Nvidia controller channel 1, currently set as a RAID array)
300GB SATA Maxtor (Nvidia controller channel 2)
180GB PATA Maxtor (Primary IDE Master)
250GB PATA Maxtor (Primary IDE Slave)
NEC 3520A DVD +/-RW (Secondary IDE Master)
Sony DVD Drive (Secondary IDE Slave)
1.44MB Floppy Drive
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum w/ front bay
Radeon X1900XTX
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2006 10:19:30 PM

Which contoller is your raptor attached to, the NVidia or Silicon Image?
May 8, 2006 10:29:01 PM

Nvidia
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2006 10:56:18 PM

Are you trying to create a single disk array? If so, you can only use raid 1.

I'm going to assume you don't want raid and you already have windows installed on the raptor. Disable Nvidia raid. Enable sata ports 1 and 2. Disconnect the rest of the hard drives. Select the CD as the 1st boot device and the sata as the second and see if that works. If it boots, go into disk management and make sure it's listed as drive C. If not, you can assign the drive letter from within disk management.

If the above doesn't fix it you may even want to re-install windows like this, then add the other drives back in later.

When I set up my computer a few months ago, I d/l'd the newest nvidia chipset drivers, installed them, then updated my bios to the newest version, version 1B at the time.

Hope this helps.
May 8, 2006 11:11:48 PM

Actually, I do want RAID, because it's faster. I tried using the latest NVIDIA drivers on this install with no success. First, I'm going to try changing the array to the "c" drive in disk management. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to disable all my other HD's and reinstall and see if that works. Hmm, Windows won't let you cahnge the letter of your boot drive.
May 8, 2006 11:58:31 PM

THAT worked. Now I'm going to reconnect my other drives and keep my fingers crossed.
May 9, 2006 12:32:18 AM

Thank you SOOO much. You have ended days of frustration. Now I can die in peace.
May 9, 2006 12:51:04 AM

Quote:
Actually, I do want RAID, because it's faster.

You want RAID.. with only one HDD? You know what RAID is, don't you???
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2006 2:02:04 AM

Quote:

Actually, you can run raid 0 with just one drive and this is normally what you want to do with a boot drive if you plan on expanding the array later.

Crazy32, you do know that typically raid is set up with drives of the same size and and manufacturer (for performance reasons). If you try to create a raid 0 array using the 75g raptor and the 300g maxtor, you will only be able to utilize 75g of the 300g and the array size will total 150g. An array can only utilize the size of the smallest drive unless you use JBOD which isn't really an array, just combined storage.
May 9, 2006 9:53:46 AM

Quote:

Actually, you can run raid 0 with just one drive and this is normally what you want to do with a boot drive if you plan on expanding the array later.

No, with nforce4, you don't need to do that. if RAID is disabled, the HDD will be in the hdd boot device and all you have to do is select it from the list.

1 drive array are sometime necessary with some third party controller (read onboard, not chipset) to use it as a single drive.

But with nforce4, don't try to use RAID, RAID drivers, F6,..., it ill create more problem than fixing it. It is not meant to be used like that.
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2006 11:51:31 AM

Quote:

No, with nforce4, you don't need to do that. if RAID is disabled, the HDD will be in the hdd boot device and all you have to do is select it from the list.

1 drive array are sometime necessary with some third party controller (read onboard, not chipset) to use it as a single drive.

But with nforce4, don't try to use RAID, RAID drivers, F6,..., it ill create more problem than fixing it. It is not meant to be used like that.

Notice I said if he planned on expanding the array later. If he installs the OS to a single drive now, then later decides he wants a bootable array, he'll be forced to reinstall his OS.

If the OS/boot drive will not be part of the array, then by all means, do not create a single drive array.
May 9, 2006 10:22:02 PM

Quote:

Notice I said if he planned on expanding the array later. If he installs the OS to a single drive now, then later decides he wants a bootable array, he'll be forced to reinstall his OS.

If the OS/boot drive will not be part of the array, then by all means, do not create a single drive array.

That's not the way RAID works.. If he want to "expand the array, he'll have to reinstall the OS anyway. The only way to have single drive RAID is with RAID 0. If you have a clue about what RAID 0 is, you'll understand that with 2 or more drives, a 500 megs files will be split in 2 (if it is a 2 drive array) so each drive will hold 250 megs..

Explain me how you plan to move a single drive with all the file to 2 hdd with half the files on each of them..

And a RAID 1 array with only 1 drive cannot be done..for obvious reason.

Listen, I've been playing with RAID since 2001. And I've installed lots of nforce3 and nforce4 board with SATA drive. I've never used F6 to install drivers unless I had 2 HDD to make an array. ULI chipset don't need drivers. even VIA don't, if BIOS is well programmed. SIS don't either. Nor ATI...

All that by experience. Yes. Experience.. not "I think that.." or "I assume" ..

Only the facts.

Now, stop telling anything with your single drive RAID or SATA drivers with F6 for nforce4.

This guy is already confused enough and don't need more.

Kepp the thing simple...

No RAID, no F6, no driver with nforce4
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2006 10:46:56 PM

You must never have read the Nvidia MediaShield users guide. If I knew how to attach it to this post I would, but you can download it from nvidia's site.

You can indeed create a raid 0 array with 1 disk. It won't actually stripe data until you add more drives.

excerpt from the nvidia media shield guide:
Morphing from RAID 0 (with One Disk) to RAID 1 (with Two Disks)
The following example shows you how to convert a RAID 0 array with one disk to a RAID
1 array (with two disks)
1 Go to the system BIOS and make sure that the drives that you want to use are RAID
enabled.
2 Boot to Windows, launch the MediaShield application, then follow the steps outlined in
“Creating a Striped Array” on page 41 with the exception that you need to select one
disk instead of two disks.

I didn't include the rest of the text, but it's all in the guide including how to create a one disk raid 0 array. Notice, they are morhing from a raid 0 array with one drive. in this example.

If I am wrong, I will gladly apologize, but I'm going stictly by the NVidia mediashield guide.
May 9, 2006 11:28:09 PM

Quote:
You must never have read the Nvidia MediaShield users guide. If I knew how to attach it to this post I would, but you can download it from nvidia's site.

You can indeed create a raid 0 array with 1 disk. It won't actually stripe data until you add more drives.

excerpt from the nvidia media shield guide:
Morphing from RAID 0 (with One Disk) to RAID 1 (with Two Disks)
The following example shows you how to convert a RAID 0 array with one disk to a RAID
1 array (with two disks)
1 Go to the system BIOS and make sure that the drives that you want to use are RAID
enabled.
2 Boot to Windows, launch the MediaShield application, then follow the steps outlined in
“Creating a Striped Array” on page 41 with the exception that you need to select one
disk instead of two disks.

I didn't include the rest of the text, but it's all in the guide including how to create a one disk raid 0 array. Notice, they are morhing from a raid 0 array with one drive. in this example.

If I am wrong, I will gladly apologize, but I'm going stictly by the NVidia mediashield guide.

Ok, I forgot about this media shield feature ... changing raid metadata to show as mirror, and copying the entire disk on the mirror.

Can be useful at some point, but I don't think the OP is at this point of knowledge.

All I mean is.. when someone get confused with a simple thing like plugging a SATA hdd, it's not a good idea to push the confusion at a higher level with all kind of theory about RAID, drivers, metadata, mediashield..

Keep it simpe for him. he'll install, then use it and learn..
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2006 11:44:40 PM

I understand completely and didn't mean to confuse the OP. He said he wanted raid with his current hardware and I gave him that option. I expected that if he did not understand what I was saying he would either ask for more info or be happy with his single drive non-raid setup.

You are correct on several points and I even mentioned it in a previous post, if you do not use raid, then no drivers are required for SATA on the nvidia controller, thus no F6 needed during installation of Windows.

...and I agree with you, raid 0 on a single drive seems useless and even illogical. ;) 
!