Please advise on new RAM module placement

Joe

Hi,

My brother, is using a Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320, with a 64 MB
SDRAM PC100 - 100MHz 168 pin DIMM memory module. The mainboard's
(Intel B1440ZX) memory maximum is 256 MB. We recently ordered an
additonal 128 MB RAM module from Crucial.com.

The mainboard has two RAM slots (1 and 2):

Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320
h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/division_07-1999/10300_div.PDF

(under optional memory configurations - page 6)

The illustration depicts:

Slot 1 = 64 MB

Slot 2 = 128 MB

I've thought, the larger sized memory module, is placed into the first
slot and the smaller (64 MB) into the second. The illustration, shows
the opposite.

My brother believes, because I've used a PC much longer than he, I
know about computers. Changing memory modules is about the extent of
my 'hardware' experience, and I sure could use additional advice here!

My apologize's to all, if this should have been posted to another
newsgroup. Thanks, for all help!

Best regards,

Joe

> My brother, is using a Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320, with a 64 MB
> SDRAM PC100 - 100MHz 168 pin DIMM memory module. The mainboard's
> (Intel B1440ZX) memory maximum is 256 MB. We recently ordered an
> additonal 128 MB RAM module from Crucial.com.

MAke sure that the new RAM is not DDR.

> The mainboard has two RAM slots (1 and 2):

> Slot 1 = 64 MB
>
> Slot 2 = 128 MB

I have never found it to matter where it's placed(and I've done a lot of RAM
switching). Yes, PC100 RAM too.

Just put it in the empty slot....it should not matter which is where on that mobo.
If you used Crucial's memory selector for that particular model Compaq, there is no
worry about incompatibility.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My brother, is using a Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320, with a 64 MB
> SDRAM PC100 - 100MHz 168 pin DIMM memory module. The mainboard's
> (Intel B1440ZX) memory maximum is 256 MB. We recently ordered an
> additonal 128 MB RAM module from Crucial.com.
>
> The mainboard has two RAM slots (1 and 2):
>
> Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320
> h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/division_07-1999/10300_div.PDF
>
> (under optional memory configurations - page 6)
>
> The illustration depicts:
>
> Slot 1 = 64 MB
>
> Slot 2 = 128 MB
>
> I've thought, the larger sized memory module, is placed into the first
> slot and the smaller (64 MB) into the second. The illustration, shows
> the opposite.
>
> My brother believes, because I've used a PC much longer than he, I
> know about computers. Changing memory modules is about the extent of
> my 'hardware' experience, and I sure could use additional advice here!
>
> My apologize's to all, if this should have been posted to another
> newsgroup. Thanks, for all help!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Joe

Crucial's online memory selector would not even show DDR RAM for that model Compaq.
--

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:ONAo2RcoFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > My brother, is using a Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320, with a 64 MB
> > SDRAM PC100 - 100MHz 168 pin DIMM memory module. The mainboard's
> > (Intel B1440ZX) memory maximum is 256 MB. We recently ordered an
> > additonal 128 MB RAM module from Crucial.com.
>
> MAke sure that the new RAM is not DDR.
>
> > The mainboard has two RAM slots (1 and 2):
>
> > Slot 1 = 64 MB
> >
> > Slot 2 = 128 MB
>
> I have never found it to matter where it's placed(and I've done a lot of RAM
> switching). Yes, PC100 RAM too.

"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My brother, is using a Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320, with a 64 MB
> SDRAM PC100 - 100MHz 168 pin DIMM memory module. The mainboard's
> (Intel B1440ZX) memory maximum is 256 MB. We recently ordered an
> additonal 128 MB RAM module from Crucial.com.
>
> The mainboard has two RAM slots (1 and 2):
>
> Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320
> h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/division_07-1999/10300_div.PDF
>
> (under optional memory configurations - page 6)
>
> The illustration depicts:
>
> Slot 1 = 64 MB
>
> Slot 2 = 128 MB
>
> I've thought, the larger sized memory module, is placed into the first
> slot and the smaller (64 MB) into the second. The illustration, shows
> the opposite.
>
> My brother believes, because I've used a PC much longer than he, I
> know about computers. Changing memory modules is about the extent of
> my 'hardware' experience, and I sure could use additional advice here!
>
> My apologize's to all, if this should have been posted to another
> newsgroup. Thanks, for all help!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Joe

Just do it that way, with the 128 memory in slot two. On some motherboards, the
faster memory (CAS 2 compared to CAS 3) needs to go into slot one.
Heck if it doesn't work in slot two, just reverse the sticks. Usually this is
quite simple.
Hope your brother enjoys his new memory. :)

PS: remember to have the machine powered off and to take precautions for static
electricity.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:16:50 -0600, "Buffalo"
>"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message

>> My brother, is using a Compaq Prosignia Desktop 320, with a 64 MB
>> SDRAM PC100 - 100MHz 168 pin DIMM memory module. The mainboard's
>> (Intel B1440ZX) memory maximum is 256 MB. We recently ordered an
>> additonal 128 MB RAM module from Crucial.com.

>> The mainboard has two RAM slots (1 and 2):

>> The illustration depicts:
>> Slot 1 = 64 MB
>> Slot 2 = 128 MB

>> I've thought, the larger sized memory module, is placed into the first
>> slot and the smaller (64 MB) into the second. The illustration, shows
>> the opposite.

>Just do it that way, with the 128 memory in slot two. On some motherboards, the
>faster memory (CAS 2 compared to CAS 3) needs to go into slot one.

That would be the opposite of what I'd expect.

If the system queries the first RAM module it sees for timing info,
then runs all the rAM based on that, you'd think that first RAM should
be the slowest one (i.e. the one with the most conservative settings).

>PS: remember to have the machine powered off and to take precautions for static
>electricity.

For "powered off", read "unplugged from mains". ATX "off" is not
really off, in the sense that mains power still flows into the power
supply, and out ofthe power supply to the motherboard via the standy
power line. There's debate about where this power then goes, but the
safest thing is to just unplug mains before working in the case.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope