Initial startup - Entering Network Password for Microsoft ..

Upon starting our PC, a window opens entitled "Entering Network Password for
Microsoft Networking". Said window has two boxes to be filled. The first box
is "User" which is filled as "default". The second box asks for "Password".
We can enter anything in box, or just leave it blank, and we can continue.
How can we get the first box off of "default" and the second box to function
correctly? As it is now, anyone could start up our computer, and access our
files! Thanks in advance for your help.
2 answers Last reply
More about initial startup entering network password microsoft

    In article <36C44506-DBA7-4CB0-BC5F-1759A7F2AF9B@microsoft.com>, Rich
    and Sue <Rich and Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Upon starting our PC, a window opens entitled "Entering Network Password for
    >Microsoft Networking". Said window has two boxes to be filled. The first box
    >is "User" which is filled as "default". The second box asks for "Password".
    >We can enter anything in box, or just leave it blank, and we can continue.
    >How can we get the first box off of "default" and the second box to function
    >correctly? As it is now, anyone could start up our computer, and access our
    >files! Thanks in advance for your help.

    As you've discovered, Windows 98 wasn't designed for security. You
    can log in with any user name, or with no user name. There's no
    checking or validation.

    The only sure way I know of to keep undesired users off a Windows 98
    computer is to set up a BIOS password that has to be entered to boot
    the computer.

    Here are some ways to prevent users from bypassing the Windows 98
    logon. However, it's not hard to get around them, and information on
    how to do it is freely available on the web:

    1. When the logon is canceled, Windows actually logs the user on as
    the "default" user. You can configure the default user to be
    immediately logged off, causing the logon prompt to return:

    http://registry.winguides.com/display.php?629

    2. Doug Knox has developed a procedure that requires a valid logon:

    http://www.dougknox.com

    Click "Security" and then click "Prevent Unauthorized Users from
    accessing your computer". Be sure to follow the steps exactly as
    documented. If you don't, you might be locked out of your computer,
    with no way to complete the login and no way to cancel it.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    That password is not meant to secure the computer--it merely loads the
    user's desktop and preferences. MVP Doug Knox has a security procedure on
    his web site: http://www.dougknox.com
    Click "Security" and then "Prevent Unauthorized Users from accessing your
    computer." As an alternative, your BIOS may have password protection for
    startup.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Rich and Sue" <Rich and Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Upon starting our PC, a window opens entitled "Entering Network Password
    > for
    > Microsoft Networking". Said window has two boxes to be filled. The first
    > box
    > is "User" which is filled as "default". The second box asks for
    > "Password".
    > We can enter anything in box, or just leave it blank, and we can continue.
    > How can we get the first box off of "default" and the second box to
    > function
    > correctly? As it is now, anyone could start up our computer, and access
    > our
    > files! Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Microsoft Windows