Landing at Castlegar

dallas

Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm reposting
the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.

Here's the best one
http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm

Here's the whole index:
http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/

I guess I'll have to try it. :-(

Dallas

I've flown a 172 into Castlegar for real, VFR, and it's a pretty cool
airport.

You really are *right* down in that bowl - and when I was there it was
August and the place was swarming with firefighting aircraft. That made it
even more interesting.

For a nice little VFR flight, head from Castlegar roughly north-north-east
up the river to Nelson. Another nice little challenging airport there!

Brian.

Oh that is great! Is that scenery enhanced somehow? Mine doesn't look that
good.

Mike

> Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
> Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm
> reposting
> the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>
> Here's the best one
> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>
> Here's the whole index:
> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>
> I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>
> Dallas

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you've never tried it before, your first crack at it should be in
something that slows down easily even while descending.

There are plenty of approach plates hiding around the net which you
will need for your target altitudes over the beacons as the localiser
doesn't come with the luxury of a glideslope - I believe the technical
term for it is a "LOC/DME and twin NDB approach".

I call it something entirely different.

Cheers
Gary

>Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
>Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm reposting
>the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>
>Here's the best one
>http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>
>Here's the whole index:
>http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>
>I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>
>Dallas

dallas

"Gary"
> If you've never tried it before, your first crack at it should be in
> something that slows down easily even while descending.

That could be the King Air... try this little secret:

If you are high on final, put everything down and throw the engines in to
beta range (reverse thrust) and push the nose down.

I don't know if this is legal but the first time I saw it done was an actual
student King Air pilot on my computer with the Aeroworx King Air. I have
heard that Twin Otter pilots use this method all the time.

Dallas

I'll bet that was an interesting area to fly into. It looks beautiful up
there.
Mike
"Brian Burger" <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
> I've flown a 172 into Castlegar for real, VFR, and it's a pretty cool
> airport.
>
> You really are *right* down in that bowl - and when I was there it was
> August and the place was swarming with firefighting aircraft. That made it
> even more interesting.
>
> For a nice little VFR flight, head from Castlegar roughly north-north-east
> up the river to Nelson. Another nice little challenging airport there!
>
> Brian.
>
> --

Justin

Dallas wrote:
> Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
> Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm reposting
> the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>
> Here's the best one
> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>
> Here's the whole index:
> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>
> I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>
> Dallas

I thought I would give it a go too

www.grimbor.co.uk/castlegar.html

Regards

Grimbor

I'll say you gave it a go! :)
Mike
"Justin" <usenet@grimbor.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dallas wrote:
>> Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar,
>> British
>> Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm
>> reposting
>> the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>>
>> Here's the best one
>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>>
>> Here's the whole index:
>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>>
>> I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>>
>> Dallas
>>

> I thought I would give it a go too
>
> www.grimbor.co.uk/castlegar.html
>

> Regards
>
> Grimbor

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Howdy,

> Here's the whole index:
> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/

Been there lots in RL, both VFR and IFR, in 172s, a 182, and a Seneca.
It's a great flight, and you will always give your heart a workout.

On a flight into there I ran into my first serious mountain wave activity
(luckily in VFR conditions) where I had to circle back to gain enough
altitude to clear some unbendable peaks.

A lot of firefighting takes place out of Castlegar, so just sitting on the
ground watching the bombers come and go all day in fire season is a blast
too.

Great pics BTW.
Steve

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:53:33 GMT, mikepic wrote:

> I'll bet that was an interesting area to fly into. It looks beautiful up
> there.

It IS beautiful down there.
It's even nicer to drive it....from Calgary to Vancouver.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The scenery in my screenshots is default, with F1 Flight Environment
doing the pretty bits. There is add-on scenery available, but I'm
getting kind of attached to the sloping rivers :)

The scenery in the real-life shots is also default :)

Gary

>Oh that is great! Is that scenery enhanced somehow? Mine doesn't look that
>good.
>
>Mike
>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
>> Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm
>> reposting
>> the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>>
>> Here's the best one
>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>>
>> Here's the whole index:
>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>>
>> I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>>
>> Dallas

Oh yeah, the sloping rivers! Nice scenery and intersting trip!
Mike
"Gary" <chairmanSPAM@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> The scenery in my screenshots is default, with F1 Flight Environment
> doing the pretty bits. There is add-on scenery available, but I'm
> getting kind of attached to the sloping rivers :)
>
> The scenery in the real-life shots is also default :)
>
> Gary
>
>>Oh that is great! Is that scenery enhanced somehow? Mine doesn't look
>>that
>>good.
>>
>>Mike
>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar,
>>> British
>>> Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm
>>> reposting
>>> the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>>>
>>> Here's the best one
>>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>>>
>>> Here's the whole index:
>>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>>>
>>> I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>>>
>>> Dallas

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wow ! If you can land one of those there by coming down over the hill
I think I should give the B200 another shot coming in that way - but
from further out with a steep straight in approach. Seemed to work
for you (and I thought taking a 727 in there was silly!) LOL

Gary

>Dallas wrote:
>> Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
>> Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm reposting
>> the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>>
>> Here's the best one
>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>>
>> Here's the whole index:
>> http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/
>>
>> I guess I'll have to try it. :-(
>>
>> Dallas
>>

>I thought I would give it a go too
>
>www.grimbor.co.uk/castlegar.html
>

>Regards
>
>Grimbor

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, my turn again :)

The new gallery is the one marked *new*. I think you'll like it :)

>Gary posted a great little story board about landing at Castlegar, British
>Columbia in the "Report on Aeroworx King Air v. 2.01" thread. I'm reposting
>the links as a new subject so nobody misses them.
>
>Here's the best one
>http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/050801.htm
>
>Here's the whole index:
>http://flightpath.openmynd.com/castlegar/