Problems with printing from an old dos app

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 16, 2005 8:13:10 PM

Hi guys,

banging my head against a brink wall here and hoping someone can help.

Just started working in this new place that has an ancient database system
thats written in ProIV or something along that lines (difficult to say as
the guy that was here before me didn't believe in documenting anything!) It
seem have been upgraded over the years but is still printing using some sort
of Dos system or formating!

When reports are printed on any machine thats new to the network it doesn't
print
the formatting lines of the report it instead prints a bunch of jubberish
character codes. So somethng has been changed on the old machines to allow
them to print correctly but i've no idea what. I've installed all the fonts
from the other machines, i've even moved over all the dll's incase there was
something odd going on there that the program might be calling.

The system prints to the default printer so some machines are printing to a
network printer using the same driver. The older ones work and the newer
ones don't! so its not the driver. Its not restricted to one OS either as i
had to rebuild an old Win98SE machine last week and its got the same
problem!

I've no idea where i'm going wrong here!

Anything else that prints, like word, excel or any other application is
fine. Its just this damn thing!

Anyone come across this before?

More about : problems printing dos app

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:13:11 PM

"moose" <moose@a.pc> wrote in message
news:D dsvsu$ct6$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...

> Just started working in this new place that has an ancient database system
> thats written in ProIV or something along that lines (difficult to say as
> the guy that was here before me didn't believe in documenting anything!)
It
> seem have been upgraded over the years but is still printing using some
sort
> of Dos system or formating!
>
> When reports are printed on any machine thats new to the network it
doesn't
> print
> the formatting lines of the report it instead prints a bunch of jubberish
> character codes. So somethng has been changed on the old machines to allow
> them to print correctly but i've no idea what. I've installed all the
fonts
> from the other machines, i've even moved over all the dll's incase there
was
> something odd going on there that the program might be calling.
>
> The system prints to the default printer so some machines are printing to
> network printer using the same driver. The older ones work and the newer
> ones don't! so its not the driver. Its not restricted to one OS either as
> had to rebuild an old Win98SE machine last week and its got the same
> problem!
>
> I've no idea where i'm going wrong here!
>
> Anything else that prints, like word, excel or any other application is
> fine. Its just this damn thing!

The problem is rare since most users abandoned DOS
software -- for which you need printer-specific drivers
and either:
-- DOS-capable printer (e.g. Brother 1050); the huge
majority now are Windows-only;
-- some kind of intermediate software that can accept
DOS input (characters) and put it into a (graphic) Windows
format, e.g. GhostScript.

It would be faster to locate your predecessor and
ask for his printing method.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs