disk defragment in Windows 98

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 16, 2005 12:19:14 PM

I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to defrag
the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this problem?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:33:42 PM

> I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
defrag
> the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
problem?

What does it do?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:41:18 PM

See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
> defrag
> the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
> problem?
August 16, 2005 3:42:18 PM

"DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
defrag
> the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
problem?

1. Did you run SCANDISK first?
2. Does the drive include any very large files (Gb size) ?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Scandisk wouldn't work either. I don't have any large file sizes. In safe
mode, it will get to 10% and then start over, continuously. In normal mode it
will act like its defragmenting but it won't get off 0%.

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
> defrag
> > the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
> problem?
>
> 1. Did you run SCANDISK first?
> 2. Does the drive include any very large files (Gb size) ?
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:42:20 PM

> Scandisk wouldn't work either. I don't have any large file sizes. In safe
> mode, it will get to 10% and then start over, continuously. In normal mode it
> will act like its defragmenting but it won't get off 0%.
>
> "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Did you try running scandisk in SafeMode, or just the Defrag?
First, make sure you empty your TIF and your Windows Temp and other Temp
folders.
Check to see how much free space you have on the Drive you are trying to
scandisk and defrag.
Run a full virus scan with up to date definitions.
Run a full spyware/adware scan.
Try again.
You can also run scandisk in DOS. At the C:\ prompt , type scandisk (leave a
space and insert the drive letter followed by a colon) and then press Enter.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:42:21 PM

I'll let you all how it goes.

"Buffalo" wrote:

> "DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Scandisk wouldn't work either. I don't have any large file sizes. In safe
> > mode, it will get to 10% and then start over, continuously. In normal mode it
> > will act like its defragmenting but it won't get off 0%.
> >
> > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
> Did you try running scandisk in SafeMode, or just the Defrag?
> First, make sure you empty your TIF and your Windows Temp and other Temp
> folders.
> Check to see how much free space you have on the Drive you are trying to
> scandisk and defrag.
> Run a full virus scan with up to date definitions.
> Run a full spyware/adware scan.
> Try again.
> You can also run scandisk in DOS. At the C:\ prompt , type scandisk (leave a
> space and insert the drive letter followed by a colon) and then press Enter.

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:43:20 AM

I know defrag won't run in Safe Mode, never mind, still too many
programmes running.
In Normal Mode Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and press 'End Task' to everything
EXCEPT Explorer and SysTray, leave those two. You will have to press
Ctrl-Alt-Delete to remove each item on the list. Some programmes
stubbornly refuse to cancel, just repeat the process they usually go on
the third attempt. Also make sure screen saver is turned off.
!