disk defragment in Windows 98

I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to defrag
the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this problem?
7 answers Last reply
More about disk defragment windows

    > I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
    defrag
    > the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
    problem?

    What does it do?

    See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
    > defrag
    > the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
    > problem?

    "DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I'm working on a computer that runs Windows 98 and I can't get it to
    defrag
    > the hard drive in normal mode or safe mode. What can I do to fix this
    problem?

    1. Did you run SCANDISK first?
    2. Does the drive include any very large files (Gb size) ?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Scandisk wouldn't work either. I don't have any large file sizes. In safe
    mode, it will get to 10% and then start over, continuously. In normal mode it
    will act like its defragmenting but it won't get off 0%.

    > Scandisk wouldn't work either. I don't have any large file sizes. In safe
    > mode, it will get to 10% and then start over, continuously. In normal mode it
    > will act like its defragmenting but it won't get off 0%.
    >
    > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    Did you try running scandisk in SafeMode, or just the Defrag?
    First, make sure you empty your TIF and your Windows Temp and other Temp
    folders.
    Check to see how much free space you have on the Drive you are trying to
    scandisk and defrag.
    Run a full virus scan with up to date definitions.
    Run a full spyware/adware scan.
    Try again.
    You can also run scandisk in DOS. At the C:\ prompt , type scandisk (leave a
    space and insert the drive letter followed by a colon) and then press Enter.

    I'll let you all how it goes.

    "Buffalo" wrote:

    > "DanielD20" <DanielD20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Scandisk wouldn't work either. I don't have any large file sizes. In safe
    > > mode, it will get to 10% and then start over, continuously. In normal mode it
    > > will act like its defragmenting but it won't get off 0%.
    > >
    > > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    > Did you try running scandisk in SafeMode, or just the Defrag?
    > First, make sure you empty your TIF and your Windows Temp and other Temp
    > folders.
    > Check to see how much free space you have on the Drive you are trying to
    > scandisk and defrag.
    > Run a full virus scan with up to date definitions.
    > Run a full spyware/adware scan.
    > Try again.
    > You can also run scandisk in DOS. At the C:\ prompt , type scandisk (leave a
    > space and insert the drive letter followed by a colon) and then press Enter.

    I know defrag won't run in Safe Mode, never mind, still too many
    programmes running.
    In Normal Mode Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and press 'End Task' to everything
    EXCEPT Explorer and SysTray, leave those two. You will have to press
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete to remove each item on the list. Some programmes
    stubbornly refuse to cancel, just repeat the process they usually go on
    the third attempt. Also make sure screen saver is turned off.

Windows 98 Defragment Windows