Will AM2 = cheaper S939?

jayb59874

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Title says it all, I am hoping ot buy/build my new machine. I want to do it as soon as possible since forum trawling has got me excited to get building and messing around.

However if anybody works in the industry or knows for sure that the AM2 release will definately reduce S939 cpu/MOBO prices then I guess it is worth waiting 2 1/2 weeks.

So please let me know if anyone has any relevant info/links, thanks in advance

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
IMO, I don't think so. Because AMD will want people to convert into their new AM2 socket, they're most likely going to keep the prices on their Socket 939's the same, thus more or less forcing people to adopt AM2.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Heck, even now Socket A athlon xp's are priced too high, way too high compared to socket 754 athlon 64's. Barton chips are more expensive than Venice (clock for clock)!

Heck, even now Socket A athlon xp's are priced too high, way too high compared to socket 754 athlon 64's. Barton chips are more expensive than Venice (clock for clock)!

AMD raised the price of Athlon XP after production has ended to for people buy into the S754 Athlon 64.

I am sure AMD will do the samething to S939 Athlon 64 once production has ceased.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Title says it all, I am hoping ot buy/build my new machine. I want to do it as soon as possible since forum trawling has got me excited to get building and messing around.

However if anybody works in the industry or knows for sure that the AM2 release will definately reduce S939 cpu/MOBO prices then I guess it is worth waiting 2 1/2 weeks.

So please let me know if anyone has any relevant info/links, thanks in advance

A switch in platform does not dictate price, demand does. When a new platform is released, the predecessors will be at reduced production and then discontinued. This also means it will cost more per hit to produced since the volume pricing will be gone. Reduced supply will cause increase in price untill the there is a sufficient shift in the market to adopt the new platform, thus reducing demand and lowering the cost.

Take the PCIe and AGP VGA card market. Compare a AGP and PCIe of the same card and see what im talking about. Even if hell froze and they do drop the price, demand will keep the price static if not more.

TRENDING THREADS