Upgrading from Win98SE to WinXP.

When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
Drive go away?

Thanks.
21 answers Last reply
More about upgrading win98se winxp

    "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
    > Drive go away?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better ,less
    troublesome operating system.
    If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you did not
    back up elsewhere.
    Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could install XP
    on another partition and have both operating systems.

    That is an XP question best asked in an XP newsgroup. Whenever you do any
    system upgrade, it's essential to backup every file that you cannot afford
    to lose.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
    > Drive go away?
    >
    > Thanks.

    "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
    >Drive go away?

    No. If you do an upgrade from the XP CD your programs and settings
    will be preserved. Be aware that an OEM CD will *not* do an upgrade,
    it will only do a clean install which will wipe out your currently
    installed programs and settings.

    A full retail or upgrade CD will work. Be careful to chose the
    "Upgrade" option when you use the CD.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
    >> Drive go away?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better ,less
    >troublesome operating system.

    And those many would be wrong.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
    >Drive go away?
    >
    >Thanks.

    No.

    For detailed information and suggestions as to how to ensure that the
    upgrade goes well see MVP Gary Woodruff's article on upgrading to XP:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Good luck

    > "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my
    > > Drive go away?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
    ,less
    > troublesome operating system.
    > If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you
    did not
    > back up elsewhere.
    > Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could
    install XP
    > on another partition and have both operating systems.

    If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS. This
    is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.

    Not "seeing" the OPs PC, can't say there won't be problems. Among these are
    hardware drivers, application operability issues using XP. Recommend
    imaging to removable media, the entire PC's hard drive before the upgrade or
    clean install. There may be a problem if the OP uses the convert option for
    the partition to NTFS, if he chooses after XP is installed, as well.

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    >

    > >"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
    > >> Drive go away?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >
    > >Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better ,less
    > >troublesome operating system.
    >
    > And those many would be wrong.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP

    Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
    upgrading to XP fix them?
    If it does, then I can see why the upgrade is just fine.
    Thanks

    Buffalo wrote:
    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
    >>> ,less troublesome operating system.
    >>
    >> And those many would be wrong.
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
    > upgrading to XP fix them?
    > If it does, then I can see why the upgrade is just fine.
    > Thanks

    I was under the impression that a clean install was always preferable, if
    you had the time and resources (meaning a good backup of all your programs
    and data). I'm kind of curious, too, what Ron was thinking of here (I'm
    guessing he's thinking of the OP not having backups of all his stuff on the
    drive?). But granted, it would be a LOT easier to just do the upgrade,
    but....

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my
    >>> Drive go away?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
    ,less
    >> troublesome operating system.
    >> If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you
    did
    >> not back up elsewhere.
    >> Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could
    install
    >> XP on another partition and have both operating systems.
    >>

    > If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS. This
    > is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.

    I'm guessing this is better idea for the normal computer user, too, but then
    again you lose that "DOS maintenance OS" capability (in case of any major OS
    problems), as cquirke has also pointed out.

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    >If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
    >upgrading to XP fix them?
    >If it does, then I can see why the upgrade is just fine.
    >Thanks

    Upgrading a system with problems will very often result in just an
    upgraded system with the same (or maybe worse) problems, that is true.
    But most people do not have constant unresolved problems with their
    systems.

    As for upgrade versus clean install with Windows XP, I have done both
    on a number of occasions. And the only substantive difference that I
    ever found was that a clean install was an absolute p.i.t.a. because
    of the hours and hours and hours of work that it took to get all of
    the applications reinstalled (if I could find the CDs, that is),
    reconfigure them, and restore the data files from backups. Even using
    the F.A.S.T.W. in Windows XP did not reduce the total time requirement
    enough to make it tolerable, in my opinion.

    An upgrade install with Windows XP does proceed somewhat differently
    than upgrades to previous versions of Windows did.

    When you upgrade an existing version of Windows to Windows XP the
    process starts by renaming the existing Windows folder, creating a new
    one, and then doing a clean install of Windows XP into the new folder.
    It then imports the information and files that are needed from the old
    Windows folder; and then the old Windows folder is deleted.

    And finally in the unlikely event that an upgrade install does go
    badly (and some people have had this happen) then you still have the
    option of reformatting and doing a clean install.

    But the vast majority of upgrades to Windows XP do go very well, and
    the time saved in doing so make the choice a no-brainer, at least in
    my experience.

    > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?

    In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.

    If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
    of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
    all of the applications and system software patches,
    then a clean install is preferable.

    If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
    your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.

    > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
    > upgrading to XP fix them?

    Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    >
    > In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
    >
    > If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
    > of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
    > all of the applications and system software patches,
    > then a clean install is preferable.
    >
    > If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
    > your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
    >
    >> If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will
    just
    >> upgrading to XP fix them?
    >
    > Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

    My best guess it that it might fix some, but introduce some others.
    Net result: better to do a clean install if your system is messed up, I'd
    think.

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    > > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
    > ,less
    > >> troublesome operating system.
    > >> If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you
    > did
    > >> not back up elsewhere.
    > >> Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could
    > install
    > >> XP on another partition and have both operating systems.
    > >>

    > > If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS.
    This
    > > is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.
    >
    > I'm guessing this is better idea for the normal computer user, too, but
    then
    > again you lose that "DOS maintenance OS" capability (in case of any major
    OS
    > problems), as cquirke has also pointed out.

    Cquirke's post isn't visible on my system within this thread.. I rely on
    the repair console from booting the XP install CD, and image restoration for
    XP problems.

    Problems are creeping up on some people who elected to SP2, and choose the
    repair console usage though. It will only fix the original XP install, and
    updated files are gone as a result. Not a pretty sight.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Lil' Dave wrote:
    >>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message

    >>> If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS.
    This
    >>> is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing this is better idea for the normal computer user, too, but
    then
    >> again you lose that "DOS maintenance OS" capability (in case of any major
    >> OS problems), as cquirke has also pointed out.
    >>

    > Cquirke's post isn't visible on my system within this thread.. I rely on
    > the repair console from booting the XP install CD, and image restoration
    for
    > XP problems.

    Cquirke said something about this in a post some time back when we were
    discussing it - not here.

    > Problems are creeping up on some people who elected to SP2, and choose
    > the repair console usage though. It will only fix the original XP
    install, and
    > updated files are gone as a result. Not a pretty sight.

    Ouch!!! You mean just the critical updates would need to be reinstalled,
    or ALL programs installed after SP2 would need to be reinstalled in that
    event (where someone had to use the repair console)? (I don't know
    anything about this, as I'm on Win98SE)

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Ouch!!! You mean just the critical updates would need to be reinstalled,
    >or ALL programs installed after SP2 would need to be reinstalled in that
    >event (where someone had to use the repair console)? (I don't know
    >anything about this, as I'm on Win98SE)

    Just the Service Packs and Windows Updates.

    It is quite easy to make a new installation CD for Windows XP with
    Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it. That greatly reduces the
    problem.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Do you have a link to a HowTo article for slipstreaming SP2, Ron?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Do you have a link to a HowTo article for slipstreaming SP2, Ron?

    XP Slipstream:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    nlite -(slipstream) http://www.nliteos.com/

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks much!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Do you have a link to a HowTo article for slipstreaming SP2, Ron?
    >

    > XP Slipstream:
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    > http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    > http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    >
    > nlite -(slipstream) http://www.nliteos.com/
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Oh what problems there are. Have tried to upgrade from 98 to XP and the
    computer is now useless. All I get is a message saying that the hal.dll file
    is missing or corrupted and I can got no further. The machine is currently
    useless, what do I have to do? Its urgent

    "Hugh Candlin" wrote:

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    >
    > In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
    >
    > If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
    > of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
    > all of the applications and system software patches,
    > then a clean install is preferable.
    >
    > If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
    > your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
    >
    > > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
    > > upgrading to XP fix them?
    >
    > Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You now have to change to using Windows XP newsgroups to get assistance with
    WinXP problems. There is no going back from this point, believe me. You either
    fix that XP installation or you give up, reformat, and start over. You can't "go
    back to what it was" from here.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "BH1" <BH1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Oh what problems there are. Have tried to upgrade from 98 to XP and the
    > computer is now useless. All I get is a message saying that the hal.dll file
    > is missing or corrupted and I can got no further. The machine is currently
    > useless, what do I have to do? Its urgent
    >
    > "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
    >

    >> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    >>
    >> In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
    >>
    >> If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
    >> of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
    >> all of the applications and system software patches,
    >> then a clean install is preferable.
    >>
    >> If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
    >> your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
    >>
    >> > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
    >> > upgrading to XP fix them?
    >>
    >> Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "BH1" <BH1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Oh what problems there are. Have tried to upgrade from 98 to XP and the
    > computer is now useless. All I get is a message saying that the hal.dll
    file
    > is missing or corrupted and I can got no further. The machine is currently
    > useless, what do I have to do? Its urgent

    You can try this

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

    > "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
    >

    > > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
    > >
    > > In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
    > >
    > > If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
    > > of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
    > > all of the applications and system software patches,
    > > then a clean install is preferable.
    > >
    > > If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
    > > your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
    > >
    > > > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will
    just
    > > > upgrading to XP fix them?
    > >
    > > Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

Microsoft Windows 98SE Windows XP Windows