Upgrading from Win98SE to WinXP.

When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
Drive go away?

Thanks.

"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
> Drive go away?
>
> Thanks.

Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better ,less
troublesome operating system.
If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you did not
back up elsewhere.
Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could install XP
on another partition and have both operating systems.

That is an XP question best asked in an XP newsgroup. Whenever you do any
system upgrade, it's essential to backup every file that you cannot afford
to lose.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
> Drive go away?
>
> Thanks.

"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
>Drive go away?

No. If you do an upgrade from the XP CD your programs and settings
will be preserved. Be aware that an OEM CD will *not* do an upgrade,
it will only do a clean install which will wipe out your currently
installed programs and settings.

A full retail or upgrade CD will work. Be careful to chose the
"Upgrade" option when you use the CD.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
>> Drive go away?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better ,less
>troublesome operating system.

And those many would be wrong.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
>Drive go away?
>
>Thanks.

No.

For detailed information and suggestions as to how to ensure that the
upgrade goes well see MVP Gary Woodruff's article on upgrading to XP:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Good luck

> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my
> > Drive go away?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
,less
> troublesome operating system.
> If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you
did not
> back up elsewhere.
> Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could
install XP
> on another partition and have both operating systems.

If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS. This
is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.

Not "seeing" the OPs PC, can't say there won't be problems. Among these are
hardware drivers, application operability issues using XP. Recommend
imaging to removable media, the entire PC's hard drive before the upgrade or
clean install. There may be a problem if the OP uses the convert option for
the partition to NTFS, if he chooses after XP is installed, as well.

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>

> >"randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my C
> >> Drive go away?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better ,less
> >troublesome operating system.
>
> And those many would be wrong.
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP

Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
upgrading to XP fix them?
If it does, then I can see why the upgrade is just fine.
Thanks

Buffalo wrote:
> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
>>> ,less troublesome operating system.
>>
>> And those many would be wrong.
>>
>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>
> Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
> If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
> upgrading to XP fix them?
> If it does, then I can see why the upgrade is just fine.
> Thanks

I was under the impression that a clean install was always preferable, if
you had the time and resources (meaning a good backup of all your programs
and data). I'm kind of curious, too, what Ron was thinking of here (I'm
guessing he's thinking of the OP not having backups of all his stuff on the
drive?). But granted, it would be a LOT easier to just do the upgrade,
but....

Lil' Dave wrote:
> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> When I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP will all the files on my
>>> Drive go away?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
,less
>> troublesome operating system.
>> If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you
did
>> not back up elsewhere.
>> Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could
install
>> XP on another partition and have both operating systems.
>>

> If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS. This
> is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.

I'm guessing this is better idea for the normal computer user, too, but then
again you lose that "DOS maintenance OS" capability (in case of any major OS
problems), as cquirke has also pointed out.

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
>If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
>upgrading to XP fix them?
>If it does, then I can see why the upgrade is just fine.
>Thanks

Upgrading a system with problems will very often result in just an
upgraded system with the same (or maybe worse) problems, that is true.
But most people do not have constant unresolved problems with their
systems.

As for upgrade versus clean install with Windows XP, I have done both
on a number of occasions. And the only substantive difference that I
ever found was that a clean install was an absolute p.i.t.a. because
of the hours and hours and hours of work that it took to get all of
the applications reinstalled (if I could find the CDs, that is),
reconfigure them, and restore the data files from backups. Even using
the F.A.S.T.W. in Windows XP did not reduce the total time requirement
enough to make it tolerable, in my opinion.

An upgrade install with Windows XP does proceed somewhat differently
than upgrades to previous versions of Windows did.

When you upgrade an existing version of Windows to Windows XP the
process starts by renaming the existing Windows folder, creating a new
one, and then doing a clean install of Windows XP into the new folder.
It then imports the information and files that are needed from the old
Windows folder; and then the old Windows folder is deleted.

And finally in the unlikely event that an upgrade install does go
badly (and some people have had this happen) then you still have the
option of reformatting and doing a clean install.

But the vast majority of upgrades to Windows XP do go very well, and
the time saved in doing so make the choice a no-brainer, at least in
my experience.

> Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?

In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.

If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
all of the applications and system software patches,
then a clean install is preferable.

If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.

> If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
> upgrading to XP fix them?

Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
>
> In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
>
> If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
> of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
> all of the applications and system software patches,
> then a clean install is preferable.
>
> If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
> your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
>
>> If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will
just
>> upgrading to XP fix them?
>
> Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

My best guess it that it might fix some, but introduce some others.
Net result: better to do a clean install if your system is messed up, I'd
think.

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Lil' Dave wrote:
> > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Adding to Tim's advice, many would suggest a clean install for a better
> ,less
> >> troublesome operating system.
> >> If you do a clean (format and fdisk), you will lose everything that you
> did
> >> not back up elsewhere.
> >> Or, if you have a retail XP disk and plenty of HDD space, you could
> install
> >> XP on another partition and have both operating systems.
> >>

> > If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS.
This
> > is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.
>
> I'm guessing this is better idea for the normal computer user, too, but
then
> again you lose that "DOS maintenance OS" capability (in case of any major
OS
> problems), as cquirke has also pointed out.

Cquirke's post isn't visible on my system within this thread.. I rely on
the repair console from booting the XP install CD, and image restoration for
XP problems.

Problems are creeping up on some people who elected to SP2, and choose the
repair console usage though. It will only fix the original XP install, and
updated files are gone as a result. Not a pretty sight.

Lil' Dave wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Lil' Dave wrote:
>>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message

>>> If the XP install will be a new install, might as well go with NTFS.
This
>>> is an option during a clean install with XP's bootable install CD.
>>
>> I'm guessing this is better idea for the normal computer user, too, but
then
>> again you lose that "DOS maintenance OS" capability (in case of any major
>> OS problems), as cquirke has also pointed out.
>>

> Cquirke's post isn't visible on my system within this thread.. I rely on
> the repair console from booting the XP install CD, and image restoration
for
> XP problems.

Cquirke said something about this in a post some time back when we were
discussing it - not here.

> Problems are creeping up on some people who elected to SP2, and choose
> the repair console usage though. It will only fix the original XP
install, and
> updated files are gone as a result. Not a pretty sight.

Ouch!!! You mean just the critical updates would need to be reinstalled,
or ALL programs installed after SP2 would need to be reinstalled in that
event (where someone had to use the repair console)? (I don't know
anything about this, as I'm on Win98SE)

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Ouch!!! You mean just the critical updates would need to be reinstalled,
>or ALL programs installed after SP2 would need to be reinstalled in that
>event (where someone had to use the repair console)? (I don't know
>anything about this, as I'm on Win98SE)

Just the Service Packs and Windows Updates.

It is quite easy to make a new installation CD for Windows XP with
Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it. That greatly reduces the
problem.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Do you have a link to a HowTo article for slipstreaming SP2, Ron?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Do you have a link to a HowTo article for slipstreaming SP2, Ron?

XP Slipstream:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

nlite -(slipstream) http://www.nliteos.com/

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks much!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Do you have a link to a HowTo article for slipstreaming SP2, Ron?
>

> XP Slipstream:
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
> http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> nlite -(slipstream) http://www.nliteos.com/
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Oh what problems there are. Have tried to upgrade from 98 to XP and the
computer is now useless. All I get is a message saying that the hal.dll file
is missing or corrupted and I can got no further. The machine is currently
useless, what do I have to do? Its urgent

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
>
> In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
>
> If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
> of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
> all of the applications and system software patches,
> then a clean install is preferable.
>
> If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
> your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
>
> > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
> > upgrading to XP fix them?
>
> Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

You now have to change to using Windows XP newsgroups to get assistance with
WinXP problems. There is no going back from this point, believe me. You either
fix that XP installation or you give up, reformat, and start over. You can't "go
back to what it was" from here.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"BH1" <BH1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh what problems there are. Have tried to upgrade from 98 to XP and the
> computer is now useless. All I get is a message saying that the hal.dll file
> is missing or corrupted and I can got no further. The machine is currently
> useless, what do I have to do? Its urgent
>
> "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
>

>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Why is an upgrade preferable to a clean install of XP?
>>
>> In my opinion, it is a question of priorities.
>>
>> If you want a fresh installion with little or no chance
>> of inherited problems, and do not mind installing
>> all of the applications and system software patches,
>> then a clean install is preferable.
>>
>> If you abhor the idea of spending the time rebuilding
>> your system, then an upgrade is the way to go.
>>
>> > If there are some problems in Win98 (most likely there are some) will just
>> > upgrading to XP fix them?
>>
>> Perhaps. I for one would doubt it on principle.

"BH1" <BH1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh what problems there are. Have tried to upgrade from 98 to XP and the
> computer is now useless. All I get is a message saying that the hal.dll
file
> is missing or corrupted and I can got no further. The machine is currently
> useless, what do I have to do? Its urgent

You can try this

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm