dont have windows 98 SE CD-ROM to insall hardware

Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98 SE
comp.
& windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one ,is
there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
looking for, if yes where do I download it from?

THANK YOU in ADVANCE
& good luck

1. What Make/Model card do you have?

2. Open My Computer. In the View menu, choose Folder Options. On the View
tab of Folder Options, select Show All Files. OK your way out.

3. Open C:\Windows\Options\CABS. How many CAB files are there in that
folder? If fewer than a couple of dozen...
3a: Use Find>Files & Folders to search for files named WIN98*.CAB. How many
show up, and where are they located?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"gdp" <gdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98
> SE
> comp.
> & windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one
> ,is
> there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
> looking for, if yes where do I download it from?
>
> THANK YOU in ADVANCE
> & good luck

> Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98
SE
> comp.
> & windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one
,is
> there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
> looking for, if yes where do I download it from?

Look in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. My have it. Or C:\Windows\System\Precopy,
If you have it C:\Win98. If all that fails, try www.dll-files.com.

HTH

I coudnt find any the files ,& that site has only .dll files & the comp. is
asking me for other files too
THANKS LOADS FOR TRYING TOO HELP ME

"jkb" wrote:

> > Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98
> SE
> > comp.
> > & windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one
> ,is
> > there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
> > looking for, if yes where do I download it from?
>
> Look in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. My have it. Or C:\Windows\System\Precopy,
> If you have it C:\Win98. If all that fails, try www.dll-files.com.
>
> HTH

> I coudnt find any the files ,& that site has only .dll files & the comp.
is
> asking me for other files too

driverguide.com *might* have it.

"gdp" <gdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98 SE
> comp.
> & windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one ,is
> there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
> looking for, if yes where do I download it from?
>
> THANK YOU in ADVANCE
> & good luck
Borrow a Win98SE cd and then , if you enough HDD space, copy it to your HDD in a
folder named something like Win98SE. Then anytime Windows asks you for the Cd,
just steer it to that directory.
You don't have to copy the whole CD, just the cab and setup files I believe. I
copied the whole thing.

Unless you have a copy of the needed cab files (usually in the Win98 folder
on the cd) already on your hard disk (do a find for *.cab, lots in same
folder might be them) you're SHOL without getting a cd (friends copy will
do).

In article <953BE076-E191-489B-97BD-CCAB4FCAB660@microsoft.com>, gdp
<gdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98 SE
>comp.
>& windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one ,is
>there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
>looking for, if yes where do I download it from?
>
> THANK YOU in ADVANCE
> & good luck

Search for Win*.cab files on your hard disk and point to them when it
asks for the CD-ROM.

If you don't have the cab files, the networking files might already be
installed in the right directories. Try pointing to C:\Windows and
C:\Windows\System when it asks for the CD.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

THANKS Steve & all the rest of for trying to help me
what does the * (win*) mean?
& what do you mean by pointing , I should put in this path?

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <953BE076-E191-489B-97BD-CCAB4FCAB660@microsoft.com>, gdp
> <gdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98 SE
> >comp.
> >& windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one ,is
> >there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
> >looking for, if yes where do I download it from?
> >
> > THANK YOU in ADVANCE
> > & good luck
> >

> Search for Win*.cab files on your hard disk and point to them when it
> asks for the CD-ROM.
>
> If you don't have the cab files, the networking files might already be
> installed in the right directories. Try pointing to C:\Windows and
> C:\Windows\System when it asks for the CD.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm

THANKS Gary ,I found it! I have 2 folders 1)WIN98 in that Ihave about 40 cab
files 2)WIN98ENA in that I have about 50
now what??

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> 1. What Make/Model card do you have?
>
> 2. Open My Computer. In the View menu, choose Folder Options. On the View
> tab of Folder Options, select Show All Files. OK your way out.
>
> 3. Open C:\Windows\Options\CABS. How many CAB files are there in that
> folder? If fewer than a couple of dozen...
> 3a: Use Find>Files & Folders to search for files named WIN98*.CAB. How many
> show up, and where are they located?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "gdp" <gdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98
> > SE
> > comp.
> > & windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one
> > ,is
> > there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
> > looking for, if yes where do I download it from?
> >
> > THANK YOU in ADVANCE
> > & good luck

Look in each of the folders you mentioned. *Most* of the files in each
folder will have the same Date Modified. You want the folder where most of
the files have Date Modified of 4/11/99 (I *think* that's the right
date--1999 in any case.) Those will be Win98 Second Edition installation
files. Write down the full path to that folder.

You still haven't told me what make/model card you have. Regardless, run the
installation and browse to the folder noted above when it asks for the
Windows 98 SE CDROM files.

--

> Look in each of the folders you mentioned. *Most* of the files in each
> folder will have the same Date Modified. You want the folder where most of
> the files have Date Modified of 4/11/99 (I *think* that's the right
> date--1999 in any case.)

Close. 4/23/1999.

Yeah, that's right. Some other version has the eleventh as the date, I'm
fairly certain.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Yeah, that's right. Some other version has the eleventh as the date, I'm
> fairly certain.

Right on. 7/11/1995. Windows 95.

In article <AEE3B535-457D-48E5-8E66-30305AD3BA52@microsoft.com>, gdp
<gdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >Im trying to install a 5-port PCI card (USB hardware) in to my windows 98 SE
>> >comp.
>> >& windows is prompting me for a windows 98 SE CD-ROM but I dont have one ,is
>> >there any way one?, or to just download all the paths (files) the comp. is
>> >looking for, if yes where do I download it from
>
>> Search for Win*.cab files on your hard disk and point to them when it
>> asks for the CD-ROM.
>>
>> If you don't have the cab files, the networking files might already be
>> installed in the right directories. Try pointing to C:\Windows and
>> C:\Windows\System when it asks for the CD.
>
>THANKS Steve & all the rest of for trying to help me
>what does the * (win*) mean?

Click Start | Find | Files or Folders, then type "Win*.cab" (without
the quotes) in the "Named" box. The "*" is a wild-card character that
will match anything, so the system will find all files with names that
start with "Win" and end with ".cab".

>& what do you mean by pointing , I should put in this path?

Yes.