The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in ef..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:

The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
computer. Please contact your system administrator.

This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
on the computer.

It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
of the CD.

I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
services", but I can not find any site that has it.

Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.

I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE options

and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.

I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
that did not help.

Bob
12 answers Last reply
More about operation cancelled restrictions
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Click Start, then Log off. When you get the logon box, enter a name (and a
    password, if you wish, but it won't secure your computer) and try your
    installation again.

    "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    >I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:
    >

    > The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    > computer. Please contact your system administrator.
    >

    > This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
    > on the computer.
    >

    > It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
    > of the CD.
    >

    > I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
    > services", but I can not find any site that has it.
    >

    > Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.
    >

    > I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE options
    >
    > and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.
    >

    > I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
    > that did not help.
    >

    > Bob

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    It sounds like policy restrictions are in effect--is this a home PC?

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    >I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:
    >

    > The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    > computer. Please contact your system administrator.
    >

    > This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
    > on the computer.
    >

    > It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
    > of the CD.
    >

    > I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
    > services", but I can not find any site that has it.
    >

    > Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.
    >

    > I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE options
    >
    > and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.
    >

    > I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
    > that did not help.
    >

    > Bob

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Response to both previous answers.

    1. I am logged on as a user. I've tried installing under the default
    user, my user ID and one of the other ID's

    2. Yes, this is a home stand-alone computer.

    I've check for policy restrictions in the registry and can not find any
    that would restrict this. If any of you know of a registry key that may
    be preventing this, let me know. I can get around in the registry, but
    I just don't know exactly what to look for to solve this problem.

    Bob

    Ron Badour wrote:
    > It sounds like policy restrictions are in effect--is this a home PC?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    > >I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:
    > >

    > > The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    > > computer. Please contact your system administrator.
    > >

    > > This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
    > > on the computer.
    > >

    > > It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
    > > of the CD.
    > >

    > > I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
    > > services", but I can not find any site that has it.
    > >

    > > Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.
    > >

    > > I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE options
    > >
    > > and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.
    > >

    > > I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
    > > that did not help.
    > >

    > > Bob

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Start regedit, expand and highlight the following keys and look in the
    right window for "RestrictRun". If you find it, delete it. You may
    have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Ben

    "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message news:1124310760.541822.139030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:
    >

    > The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    > computer. Please contact your system administrator.
    >

    > This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
    > on the computer.
    >

    > It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
    > of the CD.
    >

    > I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
    > services", but I can not find any site that has it.
    >

    > Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.
    >

    > I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE options
    >
    > and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.
    >

    > I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
    > that did not help.
    >

    > Bob

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    To install the System Policy Editor (poledit.exe), go to Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs, click the Windows Setup tab and click Have Disk. In
    the Install From box, click Browse and browse to the
    Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit folder on the W98 CD. Highlight poledit.inf
    and click OK twice. In the Have Disk screen, check the System Policy Editor
    box and click Install.

    Once installed, run the policy editor. Under file, click on: Open
    Registry. Double click the Local User icon. Double click on W98 System,
    double click restrictions and if there is a mark in the Only run... box,
    remove it and then OK your way out. Close the policy editor and save the
    changes.

    The language of the error message is the one typically used when
    restrictions are in effect. If this is not it then I don't have any other
    ideas.
    --

    > Response to both previous answers.
    >
    > 1. I am logged on as a user. I've tried installing under the default
    > user, my user ID and one of the other ID's
    >
    > 2. Yes, this is a home stand-alone computer.
    >
    > I've check for policy restrictions in the registry and can not find any
    > that would restrict this. If any of you know of a registry key that may
    > be preventing this, let me know. I can get around in the registry, but
    > I just don't know exactly what to look for to solve this problem.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > Ron Badour wrote:
    >> It sounds like policy restrictions are in effect--is this a home PC?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>

    >> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    >> Knowledge Base Info:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >>

    >> "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    >> >I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:
    >> >

    >> > The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    >> > computer. Please contact your system administrator.
    >> >

    >> > This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
    >> > on the computer.
    >> >

    >> > It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
    >> > of the CD.
    >> >

    >> > I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
    >> > services", but I can not find any site that has it.
    >> >

    >> > Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.
    >> >

    >> > I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE options
    >> >
    >> > and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.
    >> >

    >> > I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
    >> > that did not help.
    >> >

    >> > Bob

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply. There is no RestrictRun. Must be something else.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply Ron. I installed poledit, but when I ran it, there
    are no policies set up. I tried totally uninstalling Norton, that did
    not help either. I'm at a loss as to where this restriction is coming
    from.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Try running the Msconfig utility and deselecting all of the following:
    Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, Startup items. Restart and test. There may be
    something loading at Startup that is causing this problem.

    How to Troubleshoot Using the Msconfig Utility with Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281965

    PattyL

    > Thanks for the reply Ron. I installed poledit, but when I ran it, there
    > are no policies set up. I tried totally uninstalling Norton, that did
    > not help either. I'm at a loss as to where this restriction is coming
    > from.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    You said: >>It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or
    run off
    of the CD.<<

    What CD is it and have you tried running any other CD to see if they work?

    All the best,
    --
    George Aker aka SG
    Google is your friend www.google.com

    "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply Ron. I installed poledit, but when I ran it, there
    > are no policies set up. I tried totally uninstalling Norton, that did
    > not help either. I'm at a loss as to where this restriction is coming
    > from.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    SG,

    I've tried 5 different disks, same results. The 2 that I'm trying to
    install are SimCity 3000 and Quicken 2006.

    Bob

    SG wrote:
    > You said: >>It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or
    > run off
    > of the CD.<<
    >
    > What CD is it and have you tried running any other CD to see if they work?
    >
    > All the best,
    > --
    > George Aker aka SG
    > Google is your friend www.google.com
    > Anything else is just a search engine
    >
    > "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply Ron. I installed poledit, but when I ran it, there
    > > are no policies set up. I tried totally uninstalling Norton, that did
    > > not help either. I'm at a loss as to where this restriction is coming
    > > from.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    Thanks PattyL,

    I've tried that. There isn't much in either Autoexec.bat or config.sys.
    I even went so far as to disable nearly everything in win.exe so only
    explorer was running. Same results.

    Bob
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps (More info?)

    (1) What is set at...?...

    (a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (b) Open the CD-ROM branch
    (c) D-Clk the CD-ROM device that appears under it for Properties

    Does it have a letter? I am checked there for... Disconnect, Auto insert
    notification, & DMA.

    (2) What shows in this Registry key...?...

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    plorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:95,00,00,00
    "CDRAutoRun"=hex:00,00,00,00

    HOWEVER, if I may quote cquirke, (Blanton too)...
    ...........Quote.............
    In registry, look for NoDriveTypeAutoRun
    95 is default value, but *dangerous*; this autoruns HD too!
    9D is better value, allows CD autorun, suppresses HD autorun
    B5 disables CD autorun, enables HD autorun (bad)
    BD disables CD autorun, disables HD autorun (better)
    00 allows all devices to autorun (supremo bad)
    FF allows no devices to autorun (supremo safe)
    TwaekUI's Paranoi tab works through this setting
    ...........EOQ...............

    Is there an "Autorun.inf" on the CD?

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "Autorun"; Windows 98; Full Text; produces two pages full,
    including...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312475&Product=w98
    CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically After You Insert It into Your CD-ROM
    or DVD-ROM Drive
    (312475) - When you insert a CD-ROM that contains an Autorun.inf file
    into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, the CD-ROM may not start
    and run automatically as expected. Additionally, when you right-click
    the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer or...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177880&Product=w98
    CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically When Inserted
    (177880) - When you insert a CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, it may not be
    run automatically.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185552&Product=w98
    CD-ROM Drive Icon Appears for a Hard Disk
    (185552) - When you open My Computer, your hard disk icon may appear as
    a CD-ROM icon. If you double-click (or right-click and then click Open)
    the CD-ROM in My Computer, you may receive the following error message:
    Cannot find autorun.exe.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "loneieagle" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message
    | I can not install any new programs off of a CD. I get the error:
    |

    | The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
    | computer. Please contact your system administrator.
    |

    | This is a Win98 stand alone computer. There is no poledit.exe program
    | on the computer.
    |

    | It seems that all .exe files are blocked from being copied or run off
    | of the CD.
    |

    | I've found articles that say you can download poledit.exe from "online
    | services", but I can not find any site that has it.
    |

    | Does anyone know a FIX for this problem.
    |

    | I do have SpyBot installed. I changed the settings that lock IE
    options

    | and even uninstalled it, but that didn't help.
    |

    | I also have Norton Anti-Virus. I totally disabled everything on it and
    | that did not help.
    |

    | Bob

Computers Microsoft Windows