Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IE & W98 killing Internet?

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Internet
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:31:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

OS: Win98SE; IE6 Sp1 (latest)

Please excuse, I have cross posted this from the Internet ng, but no one
seems to be looking.

The problem may have something to do with how IE & Win98 are working or
rather not working together. ... I'm so frustrated, I've eaten 1/2 # of
chocolate, only 1/2# more to go. Hope someone can help.

Problem:

Last night I went to an airline site, registered there, my system
froze, had to do a hard shutdown.

I rebooted, ran scandisk, scanreg, cleaned all temp folders/files, including
index,
loaded on a new program from that site, the system went down again.

(Earlier I had trouble with my printer & system crashes. After several
reboots
and cycling of the printer, they cleared up.)

I rebooted, Uninstalled the new software. Took system down, back up,
all seemed ok.

went to bed.

Today, after about 30 seconds of Internet connectivity and all ok,
any attempt to go to a new url fails. (cached urls are fine, but
going off site, kills it.)

After a long time-out, I get "unable to find server" error.

Going to the command screen, I can ping, locally and I have
internet access. Ping resolves both IP addy & urls perfectly.
So connection seems to be working?

IPCONFIG shows I have gateway access, DHCP,
no WINS (get that from ISP), lease valid.

Things I have done:

cleaned all temp folders/files, including index, MRUs, checked
for BHOs, ran hiJack this, checked for virus,spyware.

1) Power cycled modem
2) Reinstalled all TCP/IP settings, drivers, MS client, network adapters and
and bound nic to tcp/ip.
3) downloaded, reinstalled IE6.1 Sp1.
**still failed
4) installed different LAN card, drivers, tcp/ip
5) repeated all checks from #1
** still fails

Any ideas?
Bob

More about : w98 killing internet

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:48:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:31:03 -0700, sunslight

>OS: Win98SE; IE6 Sp1 (latest)

>Last night I went to an airline site, registered there, my system
>froze, had to do a hard shutdown.

>I rebooted, ran scandisk, scanreg, cleaned all temp folders/files, including
>index, loaded on a new program from that site, the system went down again.

Hm.. a site knocks your PC over, and you install software downloaded
from it? Sounds like a lot more pain will follow... ;-)

>(Earlier I had trouble with my printer & system crashes. After several
>reboots and cycling of the printer, they cleared up.)

Hm. System crashes aren't OK if you aren't certain why they happened,
as they may happen again - and as every bad exit bruises your file
set, the secondary damage accumulates.

>Today, after about 30 seconds of Internet connectivity and all ok,
> any attempt to go to a new url fails. (cached urls are fine, but
>going off site, kills it.)

> After a long time-out, I get "unable to find server" error.

>Going to the command screen, I can ping, locally and I have
>internet access. Ping resolves both IP addy & urls perfectly.
> So connection seems to be working?

Yep; raw TCP/IP seems to be working. Points to:
- DNS poisoning, e.g. malware HOSTS intrusion
- Winsock intrusion i.e. Layererd Socket Provider blues
- http service issues (does FireFox work? Does email?)

Many commercial malware pull the first two stunts, and that may have
been the problem from the site you visited. Traditional av is weak on
detecting these "fellow software vendors", but there are specific free
scanners such as AdAware and Spybot that will chase these.

There are also 200+ phoney "spyware scanners", so stick to those two!

If there's LSP intrusion, such as NewDotNet, you can use the free
LSPFix tool to clean that up - or the relevant functionality (or
plugin) for AdAware can do that too.

>IPCONFIG shows I have gateway access, DHCP,
>no WINS (get that from ISP), lease valid.

>Things I have done:

>cleaned all temp folders/files, including index, MRUs, checked
>for BHOs, ran hiJack this, checked for virus,spyware.

>1) Power cycled modem
>2) Reinstalled all TCP/IP settings, drivers, MS client, network adapters and
>and bound nic to tcp/ip.
>3) downloaded, reinstalled IE6.1 Sp1.
>**still failed
>4) installed different LAN card, drivers, tcp/ip
>5) repeated all checks from #1
>** still fails

>Any ideas?

Smells like LSP blues to me :-(

When you did the Ping tests, did you test with just raw IP addresses,
or domain names too? Did you try raw IP addresses in the web browser?

Is there a firewall in the picture here?



>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
!