Running Windows 98, computer boots and constantly reboots

This computer is running Win 98 SE, and boots itself when the person
is in the middle of burning cds or just surfing the net. Why does this
do this?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Running-Windows-98-computer-boots-constantly-reboots-ftopict409740.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1361234
3 answers Last reply
More about running windows computer boots constantly reboots

    Spontaneous reboots are most often due to over-heating. Second most common
    cause is a failing or insufficient power supply unit (the internal one.)

    First step is to clean out the system of dust, etc. Second is to pull and
    reseat the RAM and PCI cards. Third is to try a new power supply.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "sooner1944" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > This computer is running Win 98 SE, and boots itself when the person
    > is in the middle of burning cds or just surfing the net. Why does this
    > do this?

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Running-Windows-98-computer-boots-constantly-reboots-ftopict409740.html

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:42:28 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"

    >Spontaneous reboots are most often due to over-heating. Second most common
    >cause is a failing or insufficient power supply unit (the internal one.)
    >
    >First step is to clean out the system of dust, etc. Second is to pull and
    >reseat the RAM and PCI cards. Third is to try a new power supply.

    Also, eyeball the "last mile" of the power supply axis; motherboard
    capacitors. Any that bulge or leak will be bad... see:

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream
    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Yeah, there's those capacitors to consider, but it's not necessarily easy to
    make that call, even when you can get unfettered looks at them. I've got two
    boards here (both from family members) that I'm sure have this problem, both
    are out of warranty (one Gigabyte, one MSI.) Weirdest thing was that the MSI
    board *seemed* to be responsible for two HDDs going bad, too. Not sure if
    that's really what happened, but I *can* tell you that diagnosing that
    damned machine was a full-on three-ring circus. Finally gave up and tossed
    them onto the junk pile. Still trying to figure out whether replacement is
    really a fiscally responsible thing to do, since I have no talent toward
    repairing and don't have any shop nearby. However, I'm accumulating quite a
    collection of cases after cannibalizing drives, cards, etc., so perhaps I
    should look at getting a couple of new, compatible mobos. Problem is, almost
    everything *but* the case would need replacing, and I suspect the economics
    would make complete new systems the more attractive option.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:ceb9g1dl5b1sjaf33450vb3r64p96tvc3o@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:42:28 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    >
    >>Spontaneous reboots are most often due to over-heating. Second most common
    >>cause is a failing or insufficient power supply unit (the internal one.)
    >>
    >>First step is to clean out the system of dust, etc. Second is to pull and
    >>reseat the RAM and PCI cards. Third is to try a new power supply.
    >
    > Also, eyeball the "last mile" of the power supply axis; motherboard
    > capacitors. Any that bulge or leak will be bad... see:
    >
    > http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

    > On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream

Windows 98 Computers Microsoft Windows