wINDOWS 98 O/S CORRUPTION.

Hello there. This maybe an outdated question, however, I'm trying to help a
friend to get his computer to start. My friend has an old computer with
Windows 98 O/S with 48 MB ram. Anyway, he was trying to install Symantec
Norton Internet Security software and had a problem with the installation.
He called Symantec to get some help and was told to go to the registry to
find and delete a string under
"HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION".
Unfortunately, I guess that he misunderstood because he deleted the whole
line. Now, when he reboots the computer, he couldn't even get to the safe
mode nor the desktop at all. He thinks that his computer is totally
messed up and was trying to just re-install windows 98 O/S upgrade, but was
unsuccessful anyhow. We couldn't upgrade to XP because it requires more
Ram. Is there anything anybody can advise to fix this problem and help my
friend's computer working again. I appreciate your time for reading this
message and for whatever input you may have.

Thanks much,
Jay@CmWings.com

1. Norton Internet Security is bad for Windows 98 running on a well-equipped
machine, much less the machine you describe. It's way too modern, bloated,
and in general just really, really bad for Win9x. (I don't like NIS, period,
but especially on Win98, you may as well just shoot the machine with a 4/10
shotgun.) When this system gets back on its feet, the first thing to do is
get rid of all traces of NIS--easier said than done, but you need to get
into Windows first.

2. If the user deleted that entire key, then yes, it ain't gonna run. The
thing to do is restore a Registry backup. You need to hold down the Ctrl key
(or F8) as Windows starts to load. Easiest to repeatedly press the key until
the Startup Manu appears. Holding down the key from the moment of startup
will generate a "stuck-key" error. From the Startup Menu, choose "Command
Prompt Only". At the C:\> prompt, type in the following command:

scanreg /restore

Choose the most recent backup by date. Restart when prompted. If that works,
then the next thing to do is to uninstall NIS and get rid of all traces of
it. If NIS appears in Add/Remove Programs, remove it there. Then, whether or
not it was found in Add/Remove Programs, follow the instructions here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004093015164936?Open&src=sg&docid=2004092711224136&nsf=nip.nsf&view=3897bf24c622c3ef85256eda00456216&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=

Or: http://tinyurl.com/5xslw

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"JAY R" <JAYR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello there. This maybe an outdated question, however, I'm trying to help
> friend to get his computer to start. My friend has an old computer with
> Windows 98 O/S with 48 MB ram. Anyway, he was trying to install Symantec
> Norton Internet Security software and had a problem with the installation.
> He called Symantec to get some help and was told to go to the registry to
> find and delete a string under
> "HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION".
> Unfortunately, I guess that he misunderstood because he deleted the whole
> line. Now, when he reboots the computer, he couldn't even get to the safe
> mode nor the desktop at all. He thinks that his computer is totally
> messed up and was trying to just re-install windows 98 O/S upgrade, but
> was
> unsuccessful anyhow. We couldn't upgrade to XP because it requires more
> Ram. Is there anything anybody can advise to fix this problem and help my
> friend's computer working again. I appreciate your time for reading this
> message and for whatever input you may have.
>
> Thanks much,
> Jay@CmWings.com

Hi Gary.
Thanks a million for your input. Everything you said worked out.
My friend was so happy like it's christmas again.
You're awesome.
Thank you so much, and have yourself a great day!!!!
Jay

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> 1. Norton Internet Security is bad for Windows 98 running on a well-equipped
> machine, much less the machine you describe. It's way too modern, bloated,
> and in general just really, really bad for Win9x. (I don't like NIS, period,
> but especially on Win98, you may as well just shoot the machine with a 4/10
> shotgun.) When this system gets back on its feet, the first thing to do is
> get rid of all traces of NIS--easier said than done, but you need to get
> into Windows first.
>
> 2. If the user deleted that entire key, then yes, it ain't gonna run. The
> thing to do is restore a Registry backup. You need to hold down the Ctrl key
> (or F8) as Windows starts to load. Easiest to repeatedly press the key until
> the Startup Manu appears. Holding down the key from the moment of startup
> will generate a "stuck-key" error. From the Startup Menu, choose "Command
> Prompt Only". At the C:\> prompt, type in the following command:
>
> scanreg /restore
>
> Choose the most recent backup by date. Restart when prompted. If that works,
> then the next thing to do is to uninstall NIS and get rid of all traces of
> it. If NIS appears in Add/Remove Programs, remove it there. Then, whether or
> not it was found in Add/Remove Programs, follow the instructions here:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004093015164936?Open&src=sg&docid=2004092711224136&nsf=nip.nsf&view=3897bf24c622c3ef85256eda00456216&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=
>
> Or: http://tinyurl.com/5xslw
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>

> "JAY R" <JAYR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello there. This maybe an outdated question, however, I'm trying to help
> > friend to get his computer to start. My friend has an old computer with
> > Windows 98 O/S with 48 MB ram. Anyway, he was trying to install Symantec
> > Norton Internet Security software and had a problem with the installation.
> > He called Symantec to get some help and was told to go to the registry to
> > find and delete a string under
> > "HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION".
> > Unfortunately, I guess that he misunderstood because he deleted the whole
> > line. Now, when he reboots the computer, he couldn't even get to the safe
> > mode nor the desktop at all. He thinks that his computer is totally
> > messed up and was trying to just re-install windows 98 O/S upgrade, but
> > was
> > unsuccessful anyhow. We couldn't upgrade to XP because it requires more
> > Ram. Is there anything anybody can advise to fix this problem and help my
> > friend's computer working again. I appreciate your time for reading this
> > message and for whatever input you may have.
> >
> > Thanks much,
> > Jay@CmWings.com

Glad to hear of your success. Merry Christmas, <s>.

--

> [...]
>> > find and delete a string under
>> > "HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION".
>> > Unfortunately, I guess that he misunderstood because he deleted the
>> > whole
>> > line. Now, when he reboots the computer, he couldn't even get to the
>> > safe
>> > mode nor the desktop at all. He thinks that his computer is totally
>> > messed up and was trying to just re-install windows 98 O/S upgrade, but
>> > was
>> > unsuccessful anyhow. We couldn't upgrade to XP because it requires
>> > more
>> > Ram. Is there anything anybody can advise to fix this problem and help
>> > my
>> > friend's computer working again. I appreciate your time for reading
>> > this
>> > message and for whatever input you may have.

I wouldn't wrap the gifts just yet. More than likely there may be hordes of
Symantec/Norton registry keys still present. Your best bet is to run the
Symantec removal utility for the product/version attempted to install. To make
it easier for many I have included the articles on my site, which have removal
instructions and links to download the utilities.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"JAY R" <JAYR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gary.
> Thanks a million for your input. Everything you said worked out.
> My friend was so happy like it's christmas again.
> You're awesome.
> Thank you so much, and have yourself a great day!!!!
> Jay

I'm hoping that the Registry backup that was restored was made before the
installation of NIS. If so, then *probably* only files remain. Regardless, I
can only hope that the new "SymNRT" tool from Symantec does a decent job of
cleaning up. The article I linked to in the previous post turns out to
redirect to the following:
"Removing your Norton program using SymNRT"
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=sg&docid=2004093015164936&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=

TinyURL = http://tinyurl.com/6apfn

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User