What is this aircraft?

When I was listening to the traffic the controller had a Pan Pan Pan with
KML 691. It's supposed to be a H/B744/W

Is that a cargo conversion 747?

thx

Joe

VE5JL

Great shot, does he have an larger res image of that shot?

I was not sure why they called it a 744 and not a 747.

Thx for the info.

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > VE5JL <ve5jl@ve5jlHATES_SPAM.com> wrote:
> >
> >> When I was listening to the traffic the controller had a Pan Pan Pan
with
> >> KML 691. It's supposed to be a H/B744/W
> >>
> >> Is that a cargo conversion 747?
> >
> > No, it is a passenger carrier. This aircraft landed at my home airport
of
> > Syracuse, NY. A friend of mine got a picture of it as it waited on the
> > ground for the fueling operation to complete.
>
> Oh, by the way, the pilot reported 443 passengers and crew on board when
> Syracuse Approach Control requested souls on board (a question ATC always
> asks aircraft who declare an emergency, at least in the US).
>
> --
> Peter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

william

747-400. Its the 400 series
Like a 737-800 would be called 738. The last seven is a given and replaced
by the series.
Bill

"VE5JL" <ve5jl@ve5jlHATES_SPAM.com> wrote in message
> Great shot, does he have an larger res image of that shot?
>
> I was not sure why they called it a 744 and not a 747.
>
> Thx for the info.
>

> "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote:

> with

>> > No, it is a passenger carrier. This aircraft landed at my home airport
> of
>> > Syracuse, NY. A friend of mine got a picture of it as it waited on the
>> > ground for the fueling operation to complete.
>>
>> Oh, by the way, the pilot reported 443 passengers and crew on board when
>> Syracuse Approach Control requested souls on board (a question ATC always
>> asks aircraft who declare an emergency, at least in the US).
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> =----

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

>> No, it is a passenger carrier. This aircraft landed at my home airport
>> of
>> Syracuse, NY. A friend of mine got a picture of it as it waited on the
>> ground for the fueling operation to complete.
>
> Oh, by the way, the pilot reported 443 passengers and crew on board when
> Syracuse Approach Control requested souls on board (a question ATC always
> asks aircraft who declare an emergency, at least in the US).

I have worked in many airports in Africa and the EU and they always ask how
many souls are on board, (if not known, in case of emergency).
I have just returned from Ethiopia, (they have a brand new airport in case
you didn't know), and their practice is to always ask, regardless of the
flight info so that it is on record.

Simon

Peter, while the picture is of a 747 it's appears not to be the one your
friend has a picture of. The picture from Airliners.net is a picture of a
747 used in KLM's Asia fleet. The picture that your friend has, ASIA is not
on the plane at all.

> VE5JL <ve5jl@ve5jlHATES_SPAM.com> wrote:
>
> > Great shot, does he have an larger res image of that shot?
>
> I'll ask him, but he was very apologetic that he couldn't get a shot
> without the fence in it.
>
> www.airliners.net most likely has a much better shot of this aircraft,
> albeit not at the time of the low fuel emergency. Let me see if I can
find
> one... hold on... found it... here you go:
>
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file/891485/L/
>
> --
> Peter

Great shot, I'll add it to the collection.

"Peter R." <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> VE5JL <ve5jl@ve5jlHATES_SPAM.com> wrote:
>
> > Peter, while the picture is of a 747 it's appears not to be the one your
> > friend has a picture of. The picture from Airliners.net is a picture of
> > 747 used in KLM's Asia fleet. The picture that your friend has, ASIA is
not
> > on the plane at all.
>
> Okay, here it is. 2Mb in size:
>
> http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/klm747big.jpg
>
> Again, my friend sends his apologies for the great picture of the fence.
:)

> --
> Peter

News==----