Moab Paper

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 19, 2005 2:50:12 AM

Any users of Moab Paper out there. What papers have you used with what
Printer and Ink? What were the results?

More about : moab paper

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:28:11 PM

Epson glossy photo paper purchased at Costco works better on Canon printers
than Canon's own glossy paper which is insanely overpriced.
Hi gloss paper is completely different than the lower cost glossy paper and
in my experience Epson's Premium Glossy, particularly on a hi end Epson ink
printer, is the most photo-like of all paper surfaces, that is it mimics
(actually surpasses) the traditional color glossy wet print.
Epson Premium Lustre paper will also work well with Canon printers but you
have to find the right settings.
If you care about your printer warranty, and have any concept of color
management, you should stick to Canon ink cartridges.
February 19, 2005 10:01:05 PM

Costco stores in the San Francisco Bay Area stopped selling the Epson paper
and now carry only Kodak and Kirkland brands. The Kirkland brand (I've read
that this is Ilford paper) has a bit more weight and a smoother surface. It
produces a print that is much closer in look and feel to lab prints. I
still purchase the Epson glossy photo paper, if I see a two for one sale on
epson papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and
custom post cards - as it will accept inkjet printing and pen inks on the
non glossy side. There is a faint logo printed on the backside which is
barely noticeable. The Kirkland paper will not print on the back side.

I have been using MIS inks to refill OEM cartridges and have done side by
side tests against the OEM canon inks. There is virtually no difference in
color management. My photo management sofware is Photoshop Elements 2 and I
set the printer software to glossy photo paper and manual setting with a -4
setting for intensity - the same setting I found best with OEM canon inks on
my printer, a canon i960. I have printed well over 1,000 photos with MIS
inks and have had no problems. I have already saved enough money on my ink
costs to pay for another printer should mine be damaged by aftermarket
inks.

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Epson glossy photo paper purchased at Costco works better on Canon
> printers than Canon's own glossy paper which is insanely overpriced.
> Hi gloss paper is completely different than the lower cost glossy paper
> and in my experience Epson's Premium Glossy, particularly on a hi end
> Epson ink printer, is the most photo-like of all paper surfaces, that is
> it mimics (actually surpasses) the traditional color glossy wet print.
> Epson Premium Lustre paper will also work well with Canon printers but you
> have to find the right settings.
> If you care about your printer warranty, and have any concept of color
> management, you should stick to Canon ink cartridges.

February 20, 2005 4:05:12 AM

What does this have to do with Moab Paper?

bmoag wrote:

>Epson glossy photo paper purchased at Costco works better on Canon printers
>than Canon's own glossy paper which is insanely overpriced.
>Hi gloss paper is completely different than the lower cost glossy paper and
>in my experience Epson's Premium Glossy, particularly on a hi end Epson ink
>printer, is the most photo-like of all paper surfaces, that is it mimics
>(actually surpasses) the traditional color glossy wet print.
>Epson Premium Lustre paper will also work well with Canon printers but you
>have to find the right settings.
>If you care about your printer warranty, and have any concept of color
>management, you should stick to Canon ink cartridges.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:16:33 AM

Burt,

What is the longest you have let you i960 sit idle without printing?
Ever have a head clog with MIS inks? Have you used any other 3rd party
BRANDED inks? If so what brand? Ever used any 3rd party NON-BRANDED
inks? If so what is the source to purchase?

I have a Canon IP4000 that I am happy with. I have had it for about 5
months and have about a third of the original carts. I am getting ready
to buy some replacements to have on hand. MIS interests me. But so do
the ones for $.250 a cart. I am concerned about head clogs.

Also, I have to make a choice if I do go with MIS as to replacement ink
cartridges or refilling my own, either OEM or a purchased set. I read
some of the instructions but it seems maybe a little messy to a big pain
in the ass.

By the way, I am a good looking "measekite".

Burt wrote:

>Costco stores in the San Francisco Bay Area stopped selling the Epson paper
>and now carry only Kodak and Kirkland brands. The Kirkland brand (I've read
>that this is Ilford paper) has a bit more weight and a smoother surface. It
>produces a print that is much closer in look and feel to lab prints. I
>still purchase the Epson glossy photo paper, if I see a two for one sale on
>epson papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and
>custom post cards - as it will accept inkjet printing and pen inks on the
>non glossy side. There is a faint logo printed on the backside which is
>barely noticeable. The Kirkland paper will not print on the back side.
>
>I have been using MIS inks to refill OEM cartridges and have done side by
>side tests against the OEM canon inks. There is virtually no difference in
>color management. My photo management sofware is Photoshop Elements 2 and I
>set the printer software to glossy photo paper and manual setting with a -4
>setting for intensity - the same setting I found best with OEM canon inks on
>my printer, a canon i960. I have printed well over 1,000 photos with MIS
>inks and have had no problems. I have already saved enough money on my ink
>costs to pay for another printer should mine be damaged by aftermarket
>inks.
>

>"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>>Epson glossy photo paper purchased at Costco works better on Canon
>>printers than Canon's own glossy paper which is insanely overpriced.
>>Hi gloss paper is completely different than the lower cost glossy paper
>>and in my experience Epson's Premium Glossy, particularly on a hi end
>>Epson ink printer, is the most photo-like of all paper surfaces, that is
>>it mimics (actually surpasses) the traditional color glossy wet print.
>>Epson Premium Lustre paper will also work well with Canon printers but you
>>have to find the right settings.
>>If you care about your printer warranty, and have any concept of color
>>management, you should stick to Canon ink cartridges.

February 20, 2005 12:13:02 PM

> Burt,
>
> What is the longest you have let you i960 sit idle without printing?

One week

> Ever have a head clog with MIS inks?

not yet

> Have you used any other 3rd party BRANDED inks? If so what brand? Ever
> used any 3rd party NON-BRANDED
inks? If so what is the source to purchase?

Only MIS, but I did buy a set of inks from Computer Friends. Neil Slade
suggested that one should buy the kit from Computer friends because they
have the best plastic plug to use after refilling an OEM cart. I haven't
used their ink yet, but the plugs are really good. I believe that, if you
call them, they will sell you the plugs without your having to buy the
refill kit.

> I have a Canon IP4000 that I am happy with. I have had it for about 5
> months and have about a third of the original carts. I am getting ready
> to buy some replacements to have on hand. MIS interests me. But so do
> the ones for $.250 a cart. I am concerned about head clogs.

So far, no problem with MIS inks

> Also, I have to make a choice if I do go with MIS as to replacement ink
> cartridges or refilling my own, either OEM or a purchased set. I read
> some of the instructions but it seems maybe a little messy to a big pain
> in the ass.

I used MIS inks directly in the original OEM carts. Punched the little
plastic ball into the cart, used a syringe to refill, and used Computer
Friends plugs to reseal. If you read Neil Slade's web site regarding inkjet
printers, inks, and papers, you can adapt his technique to your style of
working and the refilling is not so messy once you get into a routine for
doing it. I am a retired dentist and rubber gloves and syringes are second
nature to me. If you haven't read Neil's info, go onto the following site -
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html - very wordy and sort of
disjointed, but really good information. Based on his info I bought the
Canon i960 and MIS inks. I am still useing the original OEM carts and
refilling them with MIS inks as necessary. I did buy a set of MIS virgin
carts and filled them. Their little rubber plugs are too small and
difficult to handle, but I will use them for my next set of carts. I don't
know whose carts I will buy next. I think that Neil likes inkgrabber
prefilled carts, and they can then be refilled. I would rather find empty
carts and stick with the ink I have been successful with. I might even
splurge and buy another set of Canon carts as I know they can be refilled
successfully and I can use MIS ink and Copmputer Friends plugs with them.

I do my refilling right at my desk in a room with a nice wool berber carpet
and haven't had a problem. I do it in a large plastic storage container to
contain any spills if they should happen. Before I open the cartridge I
open the ink bottle, draw ink into a syringe, CLOSE the bottle tightly to
avoid accidentally bumping it while open, and then do what Neil suggests -
with rubber gloves on put a finger under the hole that ink comes out of on
the bottom, open the top with the computer friends stopper, inject the ink,
and replace the stopper. Then I open the ink container, empty any excess
ink from the syringe back into the container and CLOSE tightly to avoid a
spill. All this is done over the plastic container. Wipe any excess ink
off the cart (always have plenty of paper towels before you start), pat the
bottom hole that the ink comes out of to be sure there is no excess there,
watch it for a bit to be sure there is no ink dripping out, and replace it
into the printer. I have a separate syringe for each color and have marked
them with the color so that, if there is any residue that isn't washed out,
I cant contaminate another color ink.

I would suggest that you start out doing refilling in a room where a spill
won't matter. I only started refilling at my desk when I had the confidence
(and the protective container) to do it in a more refined finished space.
If you have any questions, Neil is very gracious in answering and I will be
glad to help if I can. He is really the expert on these issues and I have
just followed his instructions. In essence, I am only one page in the book
ahead of you!

son papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and
>>custom post cards - as it will accept inkjet printing and pen inks on the
>>non glossy side. There is a faint logo printed on the backside which is
>>barely noticeable. The Kirkland paper will not print on the back side.
>>
>>I have been using MIS inks to refill OEM cartridges and have done side by
>>side tests against the OEM canon inks. There is virtually no difference
>>in color management. My photo management sofware is Photoshop Elements 2
>>and I set the printer software to glossy photo paper and manual setting
>>with a -4 setting for intensity - the same setting I found best with OEM
>>canon inks on my printer, a canon i960. I have printed well over 1,000
>>photos with MIS inks and have had no problems. I have already saved
>>enough money on my ink costs to pay for another printer should mine be
>>damaged by aftermarket inks.
>>

>>"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Epson glossy photo paper purchased at Costco works better on Canon
>>>printers than Canon's own glossy paper which is insanely overpriced.
>>>Hi gloss paper is completely different than the lower cost glossy paper
>>>and in my experience Epson's Premium Glossy, particularly on a hi end
>>>Epson ink printer, is the most photo-like of all paper surfaces, that is
>>>it mimics (actually surpasses) the traditional color glossy wet print.
>>>Epson Premium Lustre paper will also work well with Canon printers but
>>>you have to find the right settings.
>>>If you care about your printer warranty, and have any concept of color
>>>management, you should stick to Canon ink cartridges.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:19:31 PM

How many sets or how long have you been using MIS ink?

Any problem with fading?

Do you use vivid, image optimizer, photo optimizer, and photo noise
reduction on the effects menu?

Burt wrote:

> [...]
>

>son papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and
>

>>>custom post cards - as it will accept inkjet printing and pen inks on the
>>>non glossy side. There is a faint logo printed on the backside which is
>>>barely noticeable. The Kirkland paper will not print on the back side.
>>>
>>>I have been using MIS inks to refill OEM cartridges and have done side by
>>>side tests against the OEM canon inks. There is virtually no difference
>>>in color management. My photo management sofware is Photoshop Elements 2
>>>and I set the printer software to glossy photo paper and manual setting
>>>with a -4 setting for intensity - the same setting I found best with OEM
>>>canon inks on my printer, a canon i960. I have printed well over 1,000
>>>photos with MIS inks and have had no problems. I have already saved
>>>enough money on my ink costs to pay for another printer should mine be

February 20, 2005 10:22:15 PM

I read the same article from Neil Slade. He seems believable. If you
get a set of plugs from Computer Friends, how do yo make them fit with
OEM carts?

Burt wrote:

> [...]
>

>son papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and
>

>>>custom post cards - as it will accept inkjet printing and pen inks on the
>>>non glossy side. There is a faint logo printed on the backside which is
>>>barely noticeable. The Kirkland paper will not print on the back side.
>>>
>>>I have been using MIS inks to refill OEM cartridges and have done side by
>>>side tests against the OEM canon inks. There is virtually no difference
>>>in color management. My photo management sofware is Photoshop Elements 2
>>>and I set the printer software to glossy photo paper and manual setting
>>>with a -4 setting for intensity - the same setting I found best with OEM
>>>canon inks on my printer, a canon i960. I have printed well over 1,000
>>>photos with MIS inks and have had no problems. I have already saved
>>>enough money on my ink costs to pay for another printer should mine be

February 21, 2005 8:20:27 AM

> How many sets or how long have you been using MIS ink?

Since I bought the printer - September. I first installed the OEM carts
that came with the printer. MIS advised against "mixing and matching" OEM
and MIS inks. Niel Slade said to go for it and just add MIS to the OEM
carts as necessary. I followed Neil's advice and I've been very happy with
the results. I am on the first 2 ounce set of MIS inks. I refill all
carts when the lowest one is no more than 75 - 80 percent empty. The top of
the sponge in the OEM carts (my limited experience) doesn't reabsorb ink on
refilling, and this was of concern to me, but it works ok with absorbtion of
the lower two thirds to one half. Two ounces = about 60 cc. and I think
that refilling the reservoir takes around 9 - 10 cc. Based on this
estimate, I've done about five refills each of photo cyan and photo magenta,
about four of yellow, about 4 of magenta, about three of cyan, and about
three of black. That totals about 24 refills so far and many more to come.
An original OEM cart has more ink due to full absorption in the sponge plus
a full reservoir. On a very conservative basis, if two ounces of ink only
gives 4-5 full refills, the six two once bottles save enough to buy a new
printer after each set!

> Any problem with fading?

All of our prints are either in albums or in frames under glass and not in
the sun. I haven't noticed any difference in our prints, but they haven't
been exposed to the kind of light or atmosphere that creates the worst
fading. I've seen one thread that describes fading evaluation, and Canon
OEM fades the least according to that evaluation. According to them the
next best was sensient formulabs inks. >

> Do you use vivid, image optimizer, photo optimizer, and photo noise
> reduction on the effects menu?

No. I do all my image manipulation in Photoshop Elements 2 (and am going to
install PE3 when I get a chance). I print with the settings on the printer
software at Glossy photo paper, manual, and set the manual setting for
intensity to -4 which I feel gives me the truest skin tones with my setup.
In PE2 I most often adjust levels and, If I print something that is sent to
me as an attachment or a picture that I need to crop pretty severely, I use
the "unsharp mask" to sharpen the image. Other adjustments are done as
necessary for color correction, etc. This way I can get a more predictable
print as close to the appearance of the monitor image without the printer
overriding what I have done in PE2.

I had originally purchased an Epson Stylus 900 when it was touted as a good
photo printer. This was before the Epson photo series came out. I was
happy with the photo prints, but I did run into problems with some print
head clogging as I was not aware that it was necessary to do color prints
often to prevent these problems. I have an HP5p laser printer that I use
for all text printing, so the inkjet printer is used only for photos and
color graphics. I was using all epson OEM carts. When I had clogging I
started to read the printer newsgroup info and got the best advice from
Arthur Entlich. I did get the printer to work properly again, but in the
process of learning more about printers I stumbled upon Neil Slade's info.
I had briefly tried filling Epson virgin MIS carts with MIS inks and could
not get the print colors to come out right. MIS really tried to help, but I
could not duplicate the OEM color balance with MIS epson replacement inks.
In addition, refilling Epson carts was really a pain in the ass. Neil spoke
so highly of MIS for Canon printers and touted the I960 so highly that I
bought one. The results are so much better than my old Epson - even at 7x
magnification - that I gave my Epson away. in addition, the carts are so
easy to refill that it is just second nature now. I periodically check the
ink levels visually - only takes a minute. MIS graciously credited me the
Epson carts and inks I had purchased from them and had not been happy with,
and sent me Canon i960 carts and inks. They have worked out better than my
expectation.

> [...]
>>be sure there is no excess there, watch it for a bit to be sure there is
>>no ink dripping out, and replace it into the printer. I have a separate
>>syringe for each color and have marked them with the color so that, if
>>there is any residue that isn't washed out, I cant contaminate another
>>color ink.
>>
>>I would suggest that you start out doing refilling in a room where a spill
>>won't matter. I only started refilling at my desk when I had the
>>confidence (and the protective container) to do it in a more refined
>>finished space. If you have any questions, Neil is very gracious in
>>answering and I will be glad to help if I can. He is really the expert on
>>these issues and I have just followed his instructions. In essence, I am
>>only one page in the book ahead of you!
>>

>>son papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and

February 21, 2005 8:35:43 AM

>I read the same article from Neil Slade. He seems believable. If you get
>a set of plugs from Computer Friends, how do yo make them fit with OEM
>carts?

When you need to refill an OEM cart you locate the factory fill hole under
the label, cut a neat hole in the label to expose the fill hole, and then
push the plastic ball that the factory installs as a seal into the cart.
Many of the kits come with a tool that will either pull the ball out or push
it in. You could probably use a fairly small nail set and a hammer and give
it a light tap to drive it into the reservoir area. The Computer Friends
plug fits it perfectly and is easy to remove and replace for refilling. It
is large enough to handle easily - even with rubber gloves on - and has a
little tab that makes removing it quite easy. When refilling you can follow
Neil's instructions. Put your finger over the outflow hole to prevent
dripping (the ink will drip out when you pull the plug from the fill hole
otherwise), pull the plug out, inject the ink, replace the plug, and wipe
excess ink off the cart and from around the outflow hole.

Very inportant - do not remove the entire label from the top of the cart.
Just cut a hole that exposes the fill hole. There is an air channel that
must remain covered that leads to the vent hole. All refill instructions
indicate that removing the label will expose the vent hole and the cart will
not work properly .

Computer Friends does not list the plugs on the web site. Thjey come in
their complete refill kit with ink, syringes, etc. I have the kit but
haven't tried their ink yet. More expensive than the MIS inks. When I saw
the i960 on sale for $100 I bought a second one for my wife's computer. I
will use the Computer Friends inks to refill her carts and see how their
colors compare to OEM and MIS. If you call them you may be able to purchase
a package of them separately. I'm sure they want to sell them with the
refill kit and have you as a customer for their inks as well.

For some wierd reason, five of the OEM carts I am refilling seal well with
the Computer friends plugs and the sixth doesn't. When I push the plug to
place it wants to rise up out of the fill hole. I simply scotch tape it
down to hold it in place. The tape isn't for a seal - it just holds the
plug down and the plug makes the seal. It isn't a problem of the plugs as
I've tried several of the plugs in this cart. It is the hole in the cart
the tends to push the plug out.

By now you can see that I don't know how to answer questions simply and in a
concise manner! Hopefully, I can give a little more information than was
requested to help the next person as I was helped by others on this
newsgroup and on Neil's site.

> [...]
>>be sure there is no excess there, watch it for a bit to be sure there is
>>no ink dripping out, and replace it into the printer. I have a separate
>>syringe for each color and have marked them with the color so that, if
>>there is any residue that isn't washed out, I cant contaminate another
>>color ink.
>>
>>I would suggest that you start out doing refilling in a room where a spill
>>won't matter. I only started refilling at my desk when I had the
>>confidence (and the protective container) to do it in a more refined
>>finished space. If you have any questions, Neil is very gracious in
>>answering and I will be glad to help if I can. He is really the expert on
>>these issues and I have just followed his instructions. In essence, I am
>>only one page in the book ahead of you!
>>

>>son papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and

February 21, 2005 11:46:03 AM

measekite wrote:
> How many sets or how long have you been using MIS ink?
>

> Any problem with fading?
>

> Do you use vivid, image optimizer, photo optimizer, and photo noise
> reduction on the effects menu?
>
> Burt wrote:
>
>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Burt,
>>>
>>> What is the longest you have let you i960 sit idle without printing?

snip
>>> Ever have a head clog with MIS inks?

I also use MIS inks in my I860. Recently got back from a 15 day trip.
The printer didn't miss a beat on first page printed.

Have been using MIS inks for maybe 8 months and so far no clogs.

Mickey
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:01:01 PM

Went to Costco and bought Kirkland Paper made in Switzerland. I think
this is Ilford. They have Canon carts their at the best (expensive)
price I have seen. $10.25 for the BCI3eBK in 4 packs, $9.00 for the
BCI6BK in a 3 pack, and $9.00 for a BCI6 Color Pak with one each of C,Y,
and M.

This is about $4.00 more than MIS cart refills. You only really save a
lot of money when you refill your self.

I am looking for a not too expensive rotary paper cutter so I can cut
the Kirkland paper into 4x6 and 5x7. That is if it is as good as Canon
Photo Paper Pro.

Burt wrote:

> [...]
>>>be sure there is no excess there, watch it for a bit to be sure there is
>>>no ink dripping out, and replace it into the printer. I have a separate
>>>syringe for each color and have marked them with the color so that, if
>>>there is any residue that isn't washed out, I cant contaminate another
>>>color ink.
>>>
>>>I would suggest that you start out doing refilling in a room where a spill
>>>won't matter. I only started refilling at my desk when I had the
>>>confidence (and the protective container) to do it in a more refined
>>>finished space. If you have any questions, Neil is very gracious in
>>>answering and I will be glad to help if I can. He is really the expert on
>>>these issues and I have just followed his instructions. In essence, I am
>>>only one page in the book ahead of you!
>>>

>>>son papers, when I want to print on the back side - greeting cards and

February 21, 2005 10:14:16 PM

I think that refilling with MIS inks costs arount $1 per refill, exclusive
of the cost of the cartridge. $5 for 2 oz (about 60 cc.) and each refill is
about 8 - 12 cc. A bit cheaper with larger volume refill containers if you
use large volumes of ink.

> [...]
>>able to purchase a package of them separately. I'm sure they want to sell
>>them with the refill kit and have you as a customer for their inks as
>>well.
>>
>>For some wierd reason, five of the OEM carts I am refilling seal well with
>>the Computer friends plugs and the sixth doesn't. When I push the plug to
>>place it wants to rise up out of the fill hole. I simply scotch tape it
>>down to hold it in place. The tape isn't for a seal - it just holds the
>>plug down and the plug makes the seal. It isn't a problem of the plugs as
>>I've tried several of the plugs in this cart. It is the hole in the cart
>>the tends to push the plug out.
>>
>>By now you can see that I don't know how to answer questions simply and in
>>a concise manner! Hopefully, I can give a little more information than
>>was requested to help the next person as I was helped by others on this

February 21, 2005 10:41:12 PM

I use a guillotine type cutter from my old photo darkroom. Be sure the
cutter you buy has a guide bar so you can make repeated same-dimension cuts
quickly without the need to line up the paper. Also, buy one that can trim
an 8x10. You can get three 4x6's from an 8.5x11 sheet. To save time I cut
an entire box of paper at one time with almost all 4x6's and also some
5x7's. It's fast when you get into the rhythm. Let me know how you like
the Kirkland paper. I found the best settings for me to be glossy photo
paper, manual, and set to -4 intensity.

Have you looked at the site co-hosted by Neil Slade? There are sometimes
worthwhile bits of information.

http://nifty-stuff.com/forum/
!