not enough memory error on brand new high end system

My friend a programmer in cobol environment likes windows98 a lot...so
much...he bought an asus system P4 2.0ghz with 1gig DDR333 memory and 80
gigabyte of storage....the story goes like this...he installed windows 98 on
that system with 3 partitions c=19g d=19g e=38g , and installed the necessary
drivers that comes with the unit , after that he installed his favorite cobol
laguange , on the middle of installing the software he encountered "not
enough memory" error....but hey....he has a 1gig of memory...we dont know
what causing this....is there a problem with windows98 working with very
large memory? Hope you can help us....thanks

> .......is there a problem with windows98 working with very
> large memory?

There are several problems in Win98 if more than 512 MB of RAM installed,

"Windows 95 Can Access Up to Two GB of RAM"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/5/94.ASP

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP

"Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/4/47.ASP

"Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/9/43.ASP

and it is strictly recommended to add a line in System.ini, under [386Enh]
section:

[386Enh]
MaxFileCache=524288

which resolves most of the issues.

BUT I'm sure, in your case it is NOT a problem of Windows itself, but a
problem of the old installer, which counts such amount of memory wrongly.

As a workaround, you can limit temporarily a memory, using by Windows
(somewhere in Control Panel -- System; have no Win98 handy to give the exact
tab of System Properties, where you can change this limit) -- down to, say,
256 MB; then restart, install the program, and remove the memory limitation
again.

But that may be this old version of Cobol won't work with 1GB of memory, too,
and there will be need to search for the newer version, or limit temporarily
the memory (in the same way) when it is supposed to work with it.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> > .......is there a problem with windows98 working with very
> > large memory?
>
> There are several problems in Win98 if more than 512 MB of RAM installed,
>
> "Windows 95 Can Access Up to Two GB of RAM"
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/5/94.ASP
>
> "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP
>
> "Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows"
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/4/47.ASP
>
> "Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/9/43.ASP
>
> and it is strictly recommended to add a line in System.ini, under [386Enh]
> section:
>
> [386Enh]
> MaxFileCache=524288
>
> which resolves most of the issues.
>
> BUT I'm sure, in your case it is NOT a problem of Windows itself, but a
> problem of the old installer, which counts such amount of memory wrongly.
>
> As a workaround, you can limit temporarily a memory, using by Windows
> (somewhere in Control Panel -- System; have no Win98 handy to give the exact
> tab of System Properties, where you can change this limit) -- down to, say,
> 256 MB; then restart, install the program, and remove the memory limitation
> again.
>
> But that may be this old version of Cobol won't work with 1GB of memory, too,
> and there will be need to search for the newer version, or limit temporarily
> the memory (in the same way) when it is supposed to work with it.
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Very informative and thorough reply. :)