Minimum System Spec

What is the mimimum system spec to install WIN98 on ?
Thanks
--
Dave Eade
Global Project Solutions

    See this article:

    Minimum Hardware Requirements for a Windows 98 Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=182751

    PattyL

    "Dave Eade" <DaveEade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the mimimum system spec to install WIN98 on ?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Dave Eade
    > Global Project Solutions

    As a side note to Patty's comments, that article pertains to W98--W98SE's
    box says it needs 20 mb of ram. Unless you are doing something very simple,
    you are going to find W98 does not work well with the minimum amount of
    ram--lots of swap file activity and the system is SLOW. W98 works pretty
    good with 64 mb of ram--how much ram is needed really depends on what you do
    with the PC.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    Dave Eade wrote:
    > What is the mimimum system spec to install WIN98 on ?
    > Thanks
    Don't know (remember) the "specks" but had it installed on 486DX2/66
    with 16M RAM.
    Did not expect it to "perform" significant work on such "workplace".

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > As a side note to Patty's comments, that article pertains to W98--W98SE's
    > box says it needs 20 mb of ram. Unless you are doing something very simple,
    > you are going to find W98 does not work well with the minimum amount of
    > ram--lots of swap file activity and the system is SLOW. W98 works pretty
    > good with 64 mb of ram--how much ram is needed really depends on what you do
    > with the PC.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98

    Well put. :-)

    > What is the mimimum system spec to install WIN98 on ?

    Smallest machine that I've done Win98 on and it works smoothly:
    Pentium II 350MHz
    64MB RAM
    4GB hard drive
    8MB Matrox Millenium G200

    It was bare Windows and worked really smoothly. By bare - I mean a clean
    install. That machine is still running today(I've got a much bigger one
    now).

    I've installed and run Win98 on a 486 w/ 32MB of RAM (you can imagine how
    old the video card was.) Worked fine for lots of uses, but can't support
    many modern apps.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:OWiuZEQpFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> What is the mimimum system spec to install WIN98 on ?
    >
    > Smallest machine that I've done Win98 on and it works smoothly:
    > Pentium II 350MHz
    > 64MB RAM
    > 4GB hard drive
    > 8MB Matrox Millenium G200
    >
    > It was bare Windows and worked really smoothly. By bare - I mean a clean
    > install. That machine is still running today(I've got a much bigger one
    > now).

    > I've installed and run Win98 on a 486 w/ 32MB of RAM (you can imagine how
    > old the video card was.) Worked fine for lots of uses, but can't support
    > many modern apps.

    <swallow> I wonder how...uh...fast? it was. This 350MHz ran fast. In fact -
    a lot faster than a 450MHz with 256MB RAM. The 450 had a lot more programs
    though - background runners.

    Considering the fact that it was restricted to basic IE/OE and word
    processing, etc., and that it was on dial-up in an area that seldom even
    logged on faster than 26.6, it was fast enough for the needs, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    >> I've installed and run Win98 on a 486 w/ 32MB of RAM (you can imagine how
    >> old the video card was.) Worked fine for lots of uses, but can't support
    >> many modern apps.
    >
    > <swallow> I wonder how...uh...fast? it was. This 350MHz ran fast. In
    > fact -
    > a lot faster than a 450MHz with 256MB RAM. The 450 had a lot more programs
    > though - background runners.

    > Considering the fact that it was restricted to basic IE/OE and word
    > processing, etc., and that it was on dial-up in an area that seldom even
    > logged on faster than 26.6, it was fast enough for the needs, <s>.

    I guess so! When was this?

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    >> Considering the fact that it was restricted to basic IE/OE and word
    >> processing, etc., and that it was on dial-up in an area that seldom even
    >> logged on faster than 26.6, it was fast enough for the needs, <s>.
    >
    > I guess so! When was this?

    Umph. I probably had a IBM PC 300PL then. Specs:
    Pentium III 550MHz
    128MB RAM
    13GB 7200RPM
    4MB S3 Inc. Trio3D Integrated. (Hmm, around this time I might have had my
    old Radeon 7000 in).

    It was a lot better. Though still nothing to my current Win98 machine.

    Believe me, that wasn't my main machine. It was good for some experimenting,
    loaning out, backup for internet access when working on other machines.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message

    > Umph. I probably had a IBM PC 300PL then. Specs:
    > Pentium III 550MHz
    > 128MB RAM
    > 13GB 7200RPM
    > 4MB S3 Inc. Trio3D Integrated. (Hmm, around this time I might have had my
    > old Radeon 7000 in).
    >
    > It was a lot better. Though still nothing to my current Win98 machine.

    > Believe me, that wasn't my main machine. It was good for some
    experimenting,
    > loaning out, backup for internet access when working on other machines.

    I didn't :-D. Last year I was testing a 486DX2 8MB DOS 6.22. I used to use
    it.

    They don't make parts for 'em anymore. MS quotes just that, minimum for the
    OS. But who runs nothing but the OS????????? Well, maybe Patty and her
    8086..

    "Dave Eade" <DaveEade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the mimimum system spec to install WIN98 on ?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Dave Eade
    > Global Project Solutions

    > They don't make parts for 'em anymore. MS quotes just that, minimum for
    the
    > OS. But who runs nothing but the OS????????? Well, maybe Patty and her
    > 8086..

    I'm running Win98 on modern parts.

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:01:28 -0400, "jkb" <nospam> wrote:

    >Smallest machine that I've done Win98 on and it works smoothly:
    >Pentium II 350MHz
    >64MB RAM
    >4GB hard drive
    >8MB Matrox Millenium G200

    >It was bare Windows and worked really smoothly. By bare - I mean a clean
    >install. That machine is still running today(I've got a much bigger one
    >now).

    I find Win98SE's not bad in 32M RAM, but as they say, it depends what
    you do with it (i.e. your apps may need more RAM than the OS can get
    by with, especially MS Office 2000).

    But you don't have to guess... use System Monitor to check the "swap
    file in use" metric. The rest don't matter, i.e. pay no attention to
    "allocated memory" or "free memory"; if you are not hitting swap, it's
    not hurting, and if you are 20M into swap straight after boot before
    running any apps, you will feel the pain.

    It can be more helpful to strip out underfootware, especially
    bloatware such as Norton Antivirus. Once again, System Monitor is
    your best guilde; watch what happens when you run it straight after a
    boot after using MSConfig to reversably disable stuff.

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    > I find Win98SE's not bad in 32M RAM, but as they say, it depends what
    > you do with it (i.e. your apps may need more RAM than the OS can get
    > by with, especially MS Office 2000).

    Never run it that small.

    > But you don't have to guess... use System Monitor to check the "swap
    > file in use" metric. The rest don't matter, i.e. pay no attention to
    > "allocated memory" or "free memory"; if you are not hitting swap, it's
    > not hurting, and if you are 20M into swap straight after boot before
    > running any apps, you will feel the pain.

    With 256MB DDR333 RAM, and a 60GB 7200RPM ATA100 Maxtor - would I feel
    anything? I don't care if I would because I almost always have around
    80-100MB free. Then I do a memory recovery and get around 161MB.

    > It can be more helpful to strip out underfootware, especially
    > bloatware such as Norton Antivirus. Once again, System Monitor is
    > your best guilde; watch what happens when you run it straight after a
    > boot after using MSConfig to reversably disable stuff.

    Would you consider AVG Antivirus, ATi control panel, and Xear 3D Audio
    config "bloatware". My brother is running XP and has NAV 2004 and he's ok.
    I've got AVG and ATi.

    > Ah, I read "Never..." as advice, similar to "Never code anything
    > bigger than your own head", not as an observation, like "I've never
    > coded anything bigger than my own head, but I did write a pretty good
    > virtual fruit fly once".

    OK - I though that was it :-D.

    > I used to (and still do, for old systems) integrate an on-demand DOS
    > scanner in various ways.

    I've just got AVG, once tried a on-demand at the advice of somebody here - I
    gave up.

    > OK. I'm using AVG too, and I trust it as far as I trust any of them;
    > it's not particularly good at bots and non-viral trojans.

    It's blocked Trojans from me. It came from a PC-World CD - AVG caught it.
    That really builds up trust in a AV program.

    > What HD is it?

    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9. 60GB 7200rpm. ATA100(limited by the mobo,
    otherwise ATA133).

    > What hurts is head travel, so let's say you have 30G of stuff on a 40G
    > 10ms HD. You may get worse than that 10ms average, if the heads have
    > to move from the "front" of C: (FATs, first-installed OS code) to the
    > end of that 30G file spread (where new temp files are created).

    I don't know about the ms of my hard drive, but I have about 28GB used on a
    60GB hard drive - that help?

    > Next, let's get smart and do some work - create a 7.9G C: for code
    > code, swap, temp, TIF, core apps etc., and store most of the rest of
    > that 30G file load in logicals beyond that C:. If most head travel is
    > in C:, then you'd get close to 2ms or so, especially on the large
    > physical HD. You can fill up that 80G and things won't slow down
    > much, because the heads seldom have to traverse the bulk.
    >
    > There are other advantages too, such as page-friendly 4k clusters,
    > data safety (avoiding incessant C: write traffic), faster Scandisks
    > and Defrags, less impact of fragmentation, better chances of data
    > recovery, Scandisk and Defrag the bulk of the HD without these
    > processes restarting every time C: burps, etc.
    >
    > But YMMV, depending on what you put where, how big the various volumes
    > are, and where these are located on the HD.

    You know more about it than I do. :-?

    > The "edge of the world" for Win98 is around 2GHz, plus/minus 300MHz or
    > so, and 137G HD capacity. It benefits from some explicit settings if
    > RAM is much over 256M, too. You may also have driver issues with new
    > kit, e.g. Intel has no Win98xx drivers for the new i9xx chipsets, and
    > then there's the heat factor; unless you add something like Waterfall
    > or Rain, Win98xx lacks a true processor idle, so processor runs hotter
    > in Win9x than it would in XP - and these days, that hurts.

    I've got a 2.4GHz Celeron D. Overclocked to 2.8GHz. 256MB DDR333(once again
    a mobo limit - would be DDR400).

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:e1Dlwd3pFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    [snip]
    > > OK. I'm using AVG too, and I trust it as far as I trust any of them;
    > > it's not particularly good at bots and non-viral trojans.
    >
    > It's blocked Trojans from me. It came from a PC-World CD - AVG caught it.
    > That really builds up trust in a AV program.
    [snip]

    Are you sure it was a trojan from that PC-World CD, or possibly just another
    'false' alert from AVG?
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Are you sure it was a trojan from that PC-World CD, or possibly just
    another
    > 'false' alert from AVG?

    Absolutely sure. They had already discovered spyware on the program that I
    tried to install. When I alerted them of the virus - I think they confirmed
    it.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message news:ukdjoZ$pFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > > Are you sure it was a trojan from that PC-World CD, or possibly just
    > another
    > > 'false' alert from AVG?
    >
    > Absolutely sure. They had already discovered spyware on the program that I
    > tried to install. When I alerted them of the virus - I think they confirmed
    > it.
    Many programs contain spyware, even on the CD's.
    Did you ever actually confirm on the trojan? ie:send it in or scan it with
    another scanner?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Buffalo
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:13:39 -0400, "jkb" <nospam> wrote:

    >> I used to (and still do, for old systems) integrate an on-demand DOS
    >> scanner in various ways.

    >I've just got AVG, once tried a on-demand at the advice of somebody here - I
    >gave up.

    Yes, it's not as easy monitoring all points of ingress, especially
    with "network chew-toy" NT. By the time you get to XP, your hardware
    can afford the performance hit of resident av and firewall, and I'd go
    for both as a matter of course.

    >> What HD is it?

    >Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9. 60GB 7200rpm. ATA100(limited by the mobo,
    >otherwise ATA133).

    OK, looks fairly contemporary... what's the warranty, as a matter of
    interest? A local price-hero distie seels Maxtor and they have only 1
    year, but that may be more a distie thing than a Maxtor thing.

    >> What hurts is head travel, so let's say you have 30G of stuff on a 40G
    >> 10ms HD. You may get worse than that 10ms average, if the heads have
    >> to move from the "front" of C: (FATs, first-installed OS code) to the
    >> end of that 30G file spread (where new temp files are created).

    >I don't know about the ms of my hard drive, but I have about 28GB used on a
    >60GB hard drive - that help?

    OK, so head travel would be about half, and thus close to the average
    spec that would be quoted for that HD, whatever that may be.

    >> The "edge of the world" for Win98 is around 2GHz, plus/minus 300MHz or
    >> so, and 137G HD capacity. It benefits from some explicit settings if
    >> RAM is much over 256M, too. You may also have driver issues with new
    >> kit, e.g. Intel has no Win98xx drivers for the new i9xx chipsets, and
    >> then there's the heat factor; unless you add something like Waterfall
    >> or Rain, Win98xx lacks a true processor idle, so processor runs hotter
    >> in Win9x than it would in XP - and these days, that hurts.

    >I've got a 2.4GHz Celeron D. Overclocked to 2.8GHz. 256MB DDR333(once again
    >a mobo limit - would be DDR400).

    OK - any stability glitches, rewind the overclock - especially if the
    overclocking affects PCI, AGP and UIDE as well as CPU. If the mobo
    chipset is cut for 533MHz and you're boosting that via overclock,
    you'd prefer DDR400 to DDR333 accordingly too.

    I'd expect some speed compat issues to kick in at that GHz, such as
    one that affects some networking code.

    256M RAM's sweet for Win9x, in that AFAIK it's the last "natural"
    capacity that doesn't need tweaking.

    Sounds like a nice box that would prolly run about the same speed on
    XP or Win98xx - more RAM, XP might be faster.

    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

Microsoft Windows Product