Update an old 98 machine

Howdy all..

I have an old W98 machine that i use for specialized stuff (no internet).
Anyway, I've kinda neglected it over the years and would like to update it
now.

It says: windows 98 4.10.1998 in system information.

I've been trippping all over the microsoft update site trying to find what I
need to download with a different online machine so I can burn a cd with the
files and then update that old machine.

Can you point me in the right direction. I'm not even sure if this is 98se
or not.

Tnx,

r.
3 answers Last reply
More about update machine

    That's Windows 98 Original edition. Second Edition is v. 4.10.2222.

    I assume you're using Windows Updates Catalog?
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973. You'll simply have to read the
    "More Info" sections for each of those Updates and determine if they are for
    Win98 First Edition, Win98 SE, or both. In general, you can install updates
    in chronological order and do OK.

    BUT! You can save a lot of time and effort by first applying the Windows
    Security Update CD. It brings Windows systems up to date as of Oct. '03
    (Windows 98 and up), which leaves very few updates to install afterwards.
    I'm not sure if MS is still distributing the CD, but you can find out by
    calling the Microsoft Order Desk (US)
    1-800-360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.

    If they can't help you, email me at grystnews@mvps.org. I'll get you a copy
    (perfectly legal.) One thing you need to consider, though, is the fact that
    the Security Updates CD automatically installs late-model versions of
    Direct-X among other things, and your system might not like that.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    > Howdy all..
    >
    > I have an old W98 machine that i use for specialized stuff (no internet).
    > Anyway, I've kinda neglected it over the years and would like to update it
    > now.
    >
    > It says: windows 98 4.10.1998 in system information.
    >
    > I've been trippping all over the microsoft update site trying to find what
    > I need to download with a different online machine so I can burn a cd with
    > the files and then update that old machine.
    >
    > Can you point me in the right direction. I'm not even sure if this is 98se
    > or not.
    >
    > Tnx,
    >
    > r.

    Thanks...I'll wade through that later.

    I did find a W98se CD in my desk but it's full 98se OEM, would that work?

    I'll bbl thanks!

    Rob

    > That's Windows 98 Original edition. Second Edition is v. 4.10.2222.
    >
    > I assume you're using Windows Updates Catalog?
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973. You'll simply have to read
    > the "More Info" sections for each of those Updates and determine if they
    > are for Win98 First Edition, Win98 SE, or both. In general, you can
    > install updates in chronological order and do OK.
    >
    > BUT! You can save a lot of time and effort by first applying the Windows
    > Security Update CD. It brings Windows systems up to date as of Oct. '03
    > (Windows 98 and up), which leaves very few updates to install afterwards.
    > I'm not sure if MS is still distributing the CD, but you can find out by
    > calling the Microsoft Order Desk (US)
    > 1-800-360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific
    > time.
    >
    > If they can't help you, email me at grystnews@mvps.org. I'll get you a
    > copy (perfectly legal.) One thing you need to consider, though, is the
    > fact that the Security Updates CD automatically installs late-model
    > versions of Direct-X among other things, and your system might not like
    > that.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Howdy all..
    >>
    >> I have an old W98 machine that i use for specialized stuff (no internet).
    >> Anyway, I've kinda neglected it over the years and would like to update
    >> it now.
    >>
    >> It says: windows 98 4.10.1998 in system information.
    >>
    >> I've been trippping all over the microsoft update site trying to find
    >> what I need to download with a different online machine so I can burn a
    >> cd with the files and then update that old machine.
    >>
    >> Can you point me in the right direction. I'm not even sure if this is
    >> 98se or not.
    >>
    >> Tnx,
    >>
    >> r.

    Only if you want to upgrade the system to Windows 98 Second Edition. It will
    not work as an installation source for Windows 98 First Edition components.

    Since you say this machine hasn't been kept up to date, the Upgrade should
    go fairly well (I know that sounds weird, but there's a logic to it.) But
    see my other post. I don't think you want to mess with that machine more
    than absolutely necessary.

    --

    > Thanks...I'll wade through that later.
    >
    > I did find a W98se CD in my desk but it's full 98se OEM, would that work?
    >
    > I'll bbl thanks!
    >
    > Rob

    >> That's Windows 98 Original edition. Second Edition is v. 4.10.2222.
    >>
    >> I assume you're using Windows Updates Catalog?
    >> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973. You'll simply have to read
    >> the "More Info" sections for each of those Updates and determine if they
    >> are for Win98 First Edition, Win98 SE, or both. In general, you can
    >> install updates in chronological order and do OK.
    >>
    >> BUT! You can save a lot of time and effort by first applying the Windows
    >> Security Update CD. It brings Windows systems up to date as of Oct. '03
    >> (Windows 98 and up), which leaves very few updates to install afterwards.
    >> I'm not sure if MS is still distributing the CD, but you can find out by
    >> calling the Microsoft Order Desk (US)
    >> 1-800-360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific
    >> time.
    >>
    >> If they can't help you, email me at grystnews@mvps.org. I'll get you a
    >> copy (perfectly legal.) One thing you need to consider, though, is the
    >> fact that the Security Updates CD automatically installs late-model
    >> versions of Direct-X among other things, and your system might not like
    >> that.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Howdy all..
    >>>
    >>> I have an old W98 machine that i use for specialized stuff (no
    >>> internet).
    >>> Anyway, I've kinda neglected it over the years and would like to update
    >>> it now.
    >>>
    >>> It says: windows 98 4.10.1998 in system information.
    >>>
    >>> I've been trippping all over the microsoft update site trying to find
    >>> what I need to download with a different online machine so I can burn a
    >>> cd with the files and then update that old machine.
    >>>
    >>> Can you point me in the right direction. I'm not even sure if this is
    >>> 98se or not.
    >>>
    >>> Tnx,
    >>>
    >>> r.

Microsoft Windows