How much more FPS can OC give?

fipeso

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I wonder, how much does the OC help in games?

1)
If you OC a AMD64 3000+ 1,8GHz to 2,2GHz, will the system be faster / slower or the same speed as a AMD64 3500+ 2,2GHz on a non OC system?

2)
Say, on average, some one has a game, and gets 30FPS.
If he (or she) then OC video card and cpu (and ram?)
What would be a realistic increase in FPS? +5 / +10 / +?

I realize it must differ from CPU and GPU and game, but just want to get an idea what to expect.

Or is OC'ing more a hobby than actualy trying to get more FPS?

My new PC is still in the shop, and have never OC a PC.
(Might not OC this one either, as its not maybe the best to OC with :oops: )

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Overclocking greatly improves system performance.

Overclocking from 1.8GHz to 2.2GHz will provide a significant and noticable improvement in overall performance, and yes, it will give you more FPS in games.

If you overclock your video card, you will see greater increases in performance than overclocking the CPU alone, but a combination of the 2 is the best for performance.

If you're serious into overclocking and want to get the best bang for your dollar, read a guide into overclocking the Athlon 64 processor, it will give you safe voltages and speeds for HTT and such.

-x86_64

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
depending on the stock speed, the fps usually increases with the same ratio of your overclock. so if 50 fps at stock, 10% oc gives u 55fps. most video cards dont oc more than 20% anyway unless ur a gosu voltmodder with godlike cooling

fipeso

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I am a bit confuced now.

One reply says I could get "significant and noticable improvement " and the other I could improve 5FPS if I had 50FPS.

What about the question of an OC'd AMD64 3000+ system running at 2,2GHz and a stock AMD64 3500+, on a similair system ?

Would the two be equal in speed?

I am thinking, that if I had a game, that is unplayable due to poor FPS, it is not likely that OC would make the game playable. Not if I could expect only 20% increase.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
the problem with this answer it seriously depends on the game and the % of overclock, a overclock on the CPU wont increase FPS unless its a CPU intensive game like CSS or UT2004, a GFX overclock however will help in most games.

to give an exaple of what i mean.

on my old 2100+ and 5900 XT graphics card i went from around 30 fps to over 60fps in CSS, i kno thats a big increase but i found a very nice sweet spot with that game.

now with the same overclock using the torlan map in ut2004 i got an increase of 3fps.

so it highly depends on the game and overclock of each device.

on my curent computer running the FEAR benchmark i can get something like 5% BELOW 25FPS, but after a small overclock of about 30 on the clock speed of my GFX i get 0% below 25fps.

so honestly predicting the performance you get with a overclock is definatly not straight science, its more of a guessing game.