Switching operating system to windows 7 64bit

Vay

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I am using windows vista 32-bit SP2 home premium. I want to switch my operating system to 64 bit because I will be using the computer for digital painting, and the colors are said to be better on a 64-bit system. I have no idea how to switch operating systems, do you delete all your data in the process or is it like installing installing a new software?

My current computer has 4 gigabytes of ram. The processor is Intel Core quad 2 Q8300 2.50GHz.

Also, I read that Linux is free and is as good as windows. Is this true?

By the way, I don't think that 64bit colour palette and a 64bit operating system are in any way related. Could you maybe clarify your original statement a bit?

I would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7 over Vista anyway, purely for speed, security and stability reasons.

neo700

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

Is gaming also affected by 32 bit/64 bit choice?

Upgrades are easy if you planned in advance. For example, if ya started like this:

C:\OS - 64 GB
D:\Swap and Temp files - 16 GB
E:\Programs
F:\Games
G:\Data

All ya need to do is format C:\ and install

Many of your programs and games will need to be reinstalled over themselves to create registry settings but all of your toolbars, customizations, etc should remain.

For the minimal investment, I'd install the new OS on a new HD and after that's done, reboot and insert old HD in system as a second drive. That way you can always boot to the old HD if new one gets fudged. Still have to reinstall stuff to establish registry settings, not to messy if ya don't let stuff get installed to ProgramFiles directory

neo700

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

That means if i want to install 8GB ram in my system, the OS should be 64bit?