Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Switching operating system to windows 7 64bit

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 18, 2011 7:59:55 PM

I am using windows vista 32-bit SP2 home premium. I want to switch my operating system to 64 bit because I will be using the computer for digital painting, and the colors are said to be better on a 64-bit system. I have no idea how to switch operating systems, do you delete all your data in the process or is it like installing installing a new software?

My current computer has 4 gigabytes of ram. The processor is Intel Core quad 2 Q8300 2.50GHz.

Also, I read that Linux is free and is as good as windows. Is this true?
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 7:31:48 AM

By the way, I don't think that 64bit colour palette and a 64bit operating system are in any way related. Could you maybe clarify your original statement a bit?

I would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7 over Vista anyway, purely for speed, security and stability reasons.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 19, 2011 7:57:38 AM

Herr_Koos said:
By the way, I don't think that 64bit colour palette and a 64bit operating system are in any way related. Could you maybe clarify your original statement a bit?

I would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7 over Vista anyway, purely for speed, security and stability reasons.


Is gaming also affected by 32 bit/64 bit choice?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 8:52:38 AM

To an extent, but there aren't many 64bit titles available. A 64bit OS does allow you to install more than 4GB of RAM, which has obvious advantages.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 6:21:59 PM

yea with a 64-bit OS the max color depth you can select in display settings is still 32-bit color. there is no 64-bit color option. this is not the same as going from something like a 32-bit game console to a 64-bit game console
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 6:32:35 PM

Upgrades are easy if you planned in advance. For example, if ya started like this:

C:\OS - 64 GB
D:\Swap and Temp files - 16 GB
E:\Programs
F:\Games
G:\Data

All ya need to do is format C:\ and install

Many of your programs and games will need to be reinstalled over themselves to create registry settings but all of your toolbars, customizations, etc should remain.

For the minimal investment, I'd install the new OS on a new HD and after that's done, reboot and insert old HD in system as a second drive. That way you can always boot to the old HD if new one gets fudged. Still have to reinstall stuff to establish registry settings, not to messy if ya don't let stuff get installed to ProgramFiles directory
m
0
l
April 20, 2011 6:11:48 AM

Herr_Koos said:
To an extent, but there aren't many 64bit titles available. A 64bit OS does allow you to install more than 4GB of RAM, which has obvious advantages.




That means if i want to install 8GB ram in my system, the OS should be 64bit?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 6:56:08 AM

neo700 said:
That means if i want to install 8GB ram in my system, the OS should be 64bit?


Yes. A 32bit OS cannot use more than 4GB. In fact, 32bit Windows only registers 3.25GB out of 4.
m
0
l
April 21, 2011 4:03:03 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Yes. A 32bit OS cannot use more than 4GB. In fact, 32bit Windows only registers 3.25GB out of 4.




Thanks man
m
0
l
Related resources
!