PowerDVD & WinDVD sound but no picture

I've just purchased a LG GSA-4163B Multi DVD/CD Rewriter mainly for backups
to DVD (this works fine using InCD/Nero BackItUp)

I would also like to play DVD's but I can't get a picture using PowerDVD
(which was supplied with the drive) or WinDVD.

My system is as follows:

M741LMRT mobo with uptodate Multimedia drivers
Celeron 400 MHZ
128MB RAM
W98SE also uptodate
LG Multi DVD/CD Rewriter GSA-4163B

Can anyone help please.

Thanks, Ted
9 answers Last reply
More about powerdvd windvd sound picture

    > I would also like to play DVD's but I can't get a picture using PowerDVD
    > (which was supplied with the drive) or WinDVD.

    I've also got a LG DVD Burner and PowerDVD. Does any text appear in the
    picture screen?

    Only if I switch on Titles (I think that was the option) ie the time
    elapsed etc

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > I would also like to play DVD's but I can't get a picture using PowerDVD
    > > (which was supplied with the drive) or WinDVD.
    >
    > I've also got a LG DVD Burner and PowerDVD. Does any text appear in the
    > picture screen?

    > Only if I switch on Titles (I think that was the option) ie the time
    > elapsed etc

    What version of PowerDVD is it?

    PowerDVD 5

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > Only if I switch on Titles (I think that was the option) ie the time
    > > elapsed etc
    >
    > What version of PowerDVD is it?

    > PowerDVD 5

    OK, are you using CLPV or CLEV?

    I don't know the answer to that question, but below is the info from
    PowerDVD does that help?

    Player Information:
    Player Region Code: 2
    Current Drive: E:
    Title Region Code: 2

    Display Information:
    Video Mode: Bob
    Display Mode: DirectDraw
    FourCC Code: YUY2
    Surface Type: Overlay

    Video Attributes:
    Video compression mode: MPEG-2
    TV system: 625/50 (PAL)
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3
    Display Mode: Only Letterbox
    Source picture resolution: 720x576 (625/50)
    Frame Rate: 25.00
    Source picture letterboxed: Not letterboxed
    Bitrate: 4.18Mbps

    Audio Attributes:
    Audio Coding mode: Dolby Digital
    Sampling Rate: 48kHz
    Audio application mode: Not specified
    Number of Audio channels: 2
    Number of Audio streams: 1

    Subpicture Attribute: Not Available

    Hardware Information:
    Processor: Intel Celeron running at 400 MHz
    3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
    Enhanced 3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
    3DNow! Professional Technology: Not Detected
    IA MMX Technology: In Use
    IA Streaming SIMD Extensions: Not Detected
    IA SSE 2: Not Detected
    Video Accelerator: Not Detected
    Multispeaker Audio Device: Not Detected
    SPDIF Output Device: Not Detected

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > PowerDVD 5
    >
    > OK, are you using CLPV or CLEV?

    > I don't know the answer to that question, but below is the info from
    > PowerDVD does that help?

    They both are things that PowerDVD can do - both of which require a much
    bigger CPU.

    > Hardware Information:
    > Processor: Intel Celeron running at 400 MHz
    > 3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
    > Enhanced 3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
    > 3DNow! Professional Technology: Not Detected
    > IA MMX Technology: In Use
    > IA Streaming SIMD Extensions: Not Detected
    > IA SSE 2: Not Detected
    > Video Accelerator: Not Detected
    > Multispeaker Audio Device: Not Detected
    > SPDIF Output Device: Not Detected

    I certainly can't say that this is producing the problem - but you're
    running a mighty small CPU. I guess I'm kinda out of tips now. Maybe you
    could try a bigger CPU or Cyberlink technical support.

    Possibly, time for me to upgrade my PC to something more uptodate!

    Many thanks for your time/help.

    "jkb" <nospam> wrote in message
    > > I don't know the answer to that question, but below is the info from
    > > PowerDVD does that help?
    >
    > They both are things that PowerDVD can do - both of which require a much
    > bigger CPU.
    >
    > > Hardware Information:
    > > Processor: Intel Celeron running at 400 MHz
    > > 3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
    > > Enhanced 3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
    > > 3DNow! Professional Technology: Not Detected
    > > IA MMX Technology: In Use
    > > IA Streaming SIMD Extensions: Not Detected
    > > IA SSE 2: Not Detected
    > > Video Accelerator: Not Detected
    > > Multispeaker Audio Device: Not Detected
    > > SPDIF Output Device: Not Detected
    >
    > I certainly can't say that this is producing the problem - but you're
    > running a mighty small CPU. I guess I'm kinda out of tips now. Maybe you
    > could try a bigger CPU or Cyberlink technical support.

    > Possibly, time for me to upgrade my PC to something more uptodate!
    >
    > Many thanks for your time/help.

    No problem, really sorry I wasn't much of a help. :-(

DVD CD-Rom Powerdvd Windows