Shortcuts to web pages stop working

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Rather frequently, in my Windows 98, my shortcuts to webpages and my
Winkey assignments stop working. When this happens the only way I can
get to a website is to have an IE window open and type the address into
the address bar.

Another symptom is that, when I hold the pointer over the taskbar, the
hourglass or waving flag icon appears, indicating that something is
going on in the background When this happened yesterday, I opened the
Close Program dialog box and found several instances of Internet
Explorer open (though there were no windows corresponding with these
processes). I closed them one by one, but the problem persisted.

So far, whenever this hangup occurs, the only thing that seems to work
is a restart. Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Larry

Before anything else, see my article on Security at
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm. Sounds like spyware to me.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> Rather frequently, in my Windows 98, my shortcuts to webpages and my
> Winkey assignments stop working. When this happens the only way I can
> get to a website is to have an IE window open and type the address into
> the address bar.
>
> Another symptom is that, when I hold the pointer over the taskbar, the
> hourglass or waving flag icon appears, indicating that something is
> going on in the background When this happened yesterday, I opened the
> Close Program dialog box and found several instances of Internet
> Explorer open (though there were no windows corresponding with these
> processes). I closed them one by one, but the problem persisted.
>
> So far, whenever this hangup occurs, the only thing that seems to work
> is a restart. Any better ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Larry