Shortcuts to web pages stop working

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 20, 2005 8:44:15 PM

Rather frequently, in my Windows 98, my shortcuts to webpages and my
Winkey assignments stop working. When this happens the only way I can
get to a website is to have an IE window open and type the address into
the address bar.

Another symptom is that, when I hold the pointer over the taskbar, the
hourglass or waving flag icon appears, indicating that something is
going on in the background When this happened yesterday, I opened the
Close Program dialog box and found several instances of Internet
Explorer open (though there were no windows corresponding with these
processes). I closed them one by one, but the problem persisted.

So far, whenever this hangup occurs, the only thing that seems to work
is a restart. Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Larry
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:44:16 PM

Before anything else, see my article on Security at
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm. Sounds like spyware to me.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> Rather frequently, in my Windows 98, my shortcuts to webpages and my
> Winkey assignments stop working. When this happens the only way I can
> get to a website is to have an IE window open and type the address into
> the address bar.
>
> Another symptom is that, when I hold the pointer over the taskbar, the
> hourglass or waving flag icon appears, indicating that something is
> going on in the background When this happened yesterday, I opened the
> Close Program dialog box and found several instances of Internet
> Explorer open (though there were no windows corresponding with these
> processes). I closed them one by one, but the problem persisted.
>
> So far, whenever this hangup occurs, the only thing that seems to work
> is a restart. Any better ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

August 21, 2005 4:15:35 AM