Windows script to toggle Registry settings for Robotype

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Does anyone know if the settings for Robotype AutoSearch and Manual
Search modes are in the Registry and what their Registry address is? I
want to set up a .vbs file with a script that toggles between the two
settings so that I can switch instantly from one setting to the other
via a Winkey combo rather than manually clicking on the Robotype icon in
the tray.

Larry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I've not got it installed but have looked at the source for Robotype
(assuming you meant the Ziff Davis one?) and can't find any reference to the
registry, let alone a specific key? (though I must confess to knowing
absolutely nothing of C/C++)

Assuming you have the original file, you should find the source in a file
labelled "rt3_src.zip" if you'd like to look for it yourself?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Larry (larry328NOSPAM@att.net) schrieb/wrote:

> Does anyone know if the settings for Robotype AutoSearch and Manual
> Search modes are in the Registry and what their Registry address
> is?

You can easily find out by making a snapshot of the registry,
changing the program's settings, making a second snapshot,
and comparing the shots. You can find REGSHOT 1.7.2 here:

Gruß, | Bitte in der NG antworten | Win98-Tipps:
Regards, Andreas | Please reply to the NG | http://a-kaestner.de
==================*===========================*=======================72
OE-QuoteFix 1.19.2: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks. In fact I already have regshot on my computer, though I don't
think I've ever used it. Tomorrow I'll try this out.

"Andreas Kaestner" <andreaskaestner@web.de> wrote in message
> Larry (larry328NOSPAM@att.net) schrieb/wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if the settings for Robotype AutoSearch and Manual
> > Search modes are in the Registry and what their Registry address
> > is?
>
> You can easily find out by making a snapshot of the registry,
> changing the program's settings, making a second snapshot,
> and comparing the shots. You can find REGSHOT 1.7.2 here:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download965.html
>
> --
> Gruß, | Bitte in der NG antworten | Win98-Tipps:
> Regards, Andreas | Please reply to the NG | http://a-kaestner.de

==================*===========================*=======================72
> OE-QuoteFix 1.19.2: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

This script successfully toggles the AutoSearch setting as seen in the
Registry, but it doesn't change whether the actual AutoSearch button in
the Robotype menu in the tray is checked or not. And that is the thing
that matters. The item in that menu must be checked or unchecked to
affect how Robotype is operating . Any ideas?

Larry

Option Explicit
Dim WshShell,AutoVal,Auto,Msg
AutoVal = "HKCU\Software\" &_
"PC Magazine\RoboType\Settings\AutoSearch"
Auto = WshShell.RegRead(AutoVal)
Msg = "AutoSearch for RoboType has been "

If Auto = 1 Then
WshShell.RegWrite AutoVal,0,"REG_DWORD"
MsgBox Msg & "DE-ACTIVATED"
ElseIf Auto = 0 Then