Sign in with
Your question

Buzzing CPU fan is driving me nuts!

Last response: in Overclocking
May 5, 2006 10:40:01 PM

Only about a month ago, I got an Athlon 64 3700 and plugged it into an Asus A8N-E...everything has worked fine, until the last couple of day. Now the cpu fan (that's definitely the culprit) is emitting this buzzing noise.

Thing is, if I just press down on the HSF retaining bracket lever, the sound disappears. So what does this mean? That my heat sink isn't seated properly? That my fan is loose?

If the fan is loose, that's bound to be a headache, because this particular fan doesn't have screws that I can just tighten...at least not without pulling everything out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenshi

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
Sapphire Radeon X1800XT 512MB
Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR 400 (
Hiper Type-R 580W Modular PSU
Antec P180 Mid Tower
May 5, 2006 11:30:54 PM

You should first check if your CPU has a high temperature. If not it is probably just a problem with your fan speed being the same as the resonans frekvency of your heatsink. You could try to lower or raise your fan speed by a few percent and the vibrations and thus the sound should disappear.
Related resources
May 6, 2006 3:13:20 AM

Sure enough, speeding the fan up seemed to stabilize it and do away with the noise. My computers been running for a few hours now, gotten a little hotter, and my fan sped up. Seems to have taken care of the problem. Guess I'll just have to raise my minimum speed a little bit.

I do plan on upgrading my HSF soon; I'll check out that AC freezer that was recommended, but the best reviewed cooler I've found so far is:

Zalman

But that's a topic for another thread.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Kenshi
December 1, 2010 3:22:43 PM

Hyper TX3 having the same issue...
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 1, 2010 3:46:02 PM

Your temps are going up even when you speed up the fan? That should be the opposite.

Are you sure the cooler isn't loose? This would cause the buzzing or vibration if it isn't properly secured. The heat increase would be due to the fact that the increase of fan speed has also caused the cooler to have less contact with the CPU.

You might want to check and make sure you don't have a mounting problem with that cooler before you dismiss it that easily.
!