W98 has a

There is a limit to the amount of physical memory that W98 can proper manage.
What is the size limit? What are the other limitations of W98?
15 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >There is a limit to the amount of physical memory that W98 can proper manage.
    >What is the size limit? What are the other limitations of W98?

    Without any changes or adjustments the maximum memory amount that
    Windows 98 can properly manage is 512 mb.

    With one simple change, the addition of a MaxFileCache=512000 entry to
    the [vcache] section of the system.ini file, the maximum memory amount
    increases to 1 gb and perhaps to 1.5 gb.

    With memory amounts between 1.0 and 1.5 gb there are hardware related
    factors that can cause severe errors with some systems. There are a
    number of users who have successfully used Windows 98 with 1.5 gb of
    RAM but there is no reported instance of Windows 98 ever having been
    used successfully on a system with more than 1.5 gb of RAM installed
    and available.

    The other limits hardware related limits with Windows 98 are a maximum
    usable hard drive partition size of 128 binary gigabytes (137 billion
    bytes). Scandisk and Defrag will not operate on partitions larger
    than this.

    Hope this is the information you were looking for.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    What about swap file size. Does W98 have a problem with a large swap file?
    What about 512mb of physical memory and a large swap file?
    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >There is a limit to the amount of physical memory that W98 can proper manage.
    > >What is the size limit? What are the other limitations of W98?
    >

    > Without any changes or adjustments the maximum memory amount that
    > Windows 98 can properly manage is 512 mb.
    >
    > With one simple change, the addition of a MaxFileCache=512000 entry to
    > the [vcache] section of the system.ini file, the maximum memory amount
    > increases to 1 gb and perhaps to 1.5 gb.
    >
    > With memory amounts between 1.0 and 1.5 gb there are hardware related
    > factors that can cause severe errors with some systems. There are a
    > number of users who have successfully used Windows 98 with 1.5 gb of
    > RAM but there is no reported instance of Windows 98 ever having been
    > used successfully on a system with more than 1.5 gb of RAM installed
    > and available.
    >
    > The other limits hardware related limits with Windows 98 are a maximum
    > usable hard drive partition size of 128 binary gigabytes (137 billion
    > bytes). Scandisk and Defrag will not operate on partitions larger
    > than this.
    >
    > Hope this is the information you were looking for.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Here's some info on ram you might find helpful:

    768 mb or more of ram:

    "Out of Memory" Errors with Large Amounts of RAM Installed [Q253912]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q253912

    This article contains instructions which basically say: add this line in
    system.ini, under [vcache]: MaxFileCache=512000
    ***************************

    1 gb or more of ram:

    Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows [Q184447]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q184447
    ***************************

    1.5 gb or more of ram:

    Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM [Q304943]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q304943

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There is a limit to the amount of physical memory that W98 can proper
    > manage.
    > What is the size limit? What are the other limitations of W98?

    The max is 512 without tweaks. Perhaps some of this in a post earlier by MVP
    Mikhail Zhilin will help out.

    There are several problems in Win98 if more than 512 MB of RAM installed,

    "Windows 95 Can Access Up to Two GB of RAM"
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/5/94.ASP

    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP

    "Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows"
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/4/47.ASP

    "Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/9/43.ASP

    and it is strictly recommended to add a line in System.ini, under [386Enh]
    section:

    [386Enh]
    MaxFileCache=524288

    which resolves most of the issues.

    BUT I'm sure, in your case it is NOT a problem of Windows itself, but a
    problem of the old installer, which counts such amount of memory wrongly.

    As a workaround, you can limit temporarily a memory, using by Windows
    (somewhere in Control Panel -- System; have no Win98 handy to give the exact
    tab of System Properties, where you can change this limit) -- down to, say,
    256 MB; then restart, install the program, and remove the memory limitation
    again.

    But that may be this old version of Cobol won't work with 1GB of memory, too,
    and there will be need to search for the newer version, or limit temporarily
    the memory (in the same way) when it is supposed to work with it.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > There is a limit to the amount of physical memory that W98 can proper
    manage.
    > What is the size limit? What are the other limitations of W98?

    Start -> Run -> msconfig. Click "Advanced" and you'll see "Limit memory to"

    I've read that W98 has a problem managing a large amount of phyical memory.
    What are the W98 limitations?

    > What about swap file size. Does W98 have a problem with a large swap file?

    Only problem with a large swap file is that there needs to be sufficient
    disk space to support it. The swap file is managed by Windows 98 using a
    "just in case" logic--it makes a swap file large enough to allow the
    swapping of most of what's in RAM if necessary *without* first resizing the
    file. Other than making sure there's sufficient space for the swap file, the
    only other thing you need to pay attention to is "Swap File in Use"--how
    much of the swap file is actually, actively being used. If it's more than 10
    or 20 MB on a regular basis, that's considered "excessive" swapping and
    mostly indicates that you need more RAM.

    > What about 512mb of physical memory and a large swap file?

    More RAM will tend to promote larger swap file, based upon the "just in
    case" paradigm. Thus, you tend to need more disk space available. Other than
    that, the only concerns are those others have pointed out regarding amounts
    of RAM *above* 512 MB (no problem with 512 MB, only with *more* than 512 MB

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > What about swap file size. Does W98 have a problem with a large swap file?
    > What about 512mb of physical memory and a large swap file?

    I don't know about max mem. But swapfiles - I've used fixed swapfiles of
    over a gig.

    Cut to the marrow. Stick with 512MB. Put the swapfile on the first
    partition of another physical hard drive, that hard drive not on the same
    controller as your boot hard drive. Don't put a fixed swapfile size, let
    windows handle it. 4GB should be enough for the partition. Or make it
    bigger if dual booting XP, and let XP use that partition for its swapfile as
    well.

    If you're dual booting XP, you may be cutting yourself short in the RAM area
    (if running memory intensive applications). Suggest another PC for that.

    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

    >If you're dual booting XP, you may be cutting yourself short in the RAM area
    >(if running memory intensive applications). Suggest another PC for that.

    If you are running Windows XP and Windows 98 (or Windows Me) dual boot
    and you want to have lots of RAM for Windows XP then all you need to
    do is to insert a MaxPhysPage=nnnnn line into the [386enh] section of
    the system.ini file for Windows 98 so as to prevent it from trying to
    use more than desired amount of RAM. MaxPhysPage=40000 will limit
    Windows XP to 1 gb of RAM regardless of how much more than that is
    actually installed.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron, I'm curious if you have an answer for this quandary--

    How do you install Win98 to a machine with, say, 2GB of RAM, without
    physically removing some of the RAM? Is there an easy way to get the needed
    entries into System.ini? Seems I used to know how to do this kind of thing,
    but my memory is an absolute sieve these days...

    Also, how can one alter a Windows Startup floppy disk to allow it to
    function decently with that much RAM--or is that an issue?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Ron, I'm curious if you have an answer for this quandary--
    >
    > How do you install Win98 to a machine with, say, 2GB of RAM, without
    > physically removing some of the RAM? Is there an easy way to get the
    > needed entries into System.ini? Seems I used to know how to do this kind
    > of thing, but my memory is an absolute sieve these days...
    >
    > Also, how can one alter a Windows Startup floppy disk to allow it to
    > function decently with that much RAM--or is that an issue?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User

    I too wanted to do that also since I triple boot, and getting with Ron &
    Richard Harper a while ago going through every conceivable way they offered
    even as an unlikely possibility, but I quickly fell in line with their
    views and discovered for myself what they have always said is that there is
    no uncompromised way of running 2GB in W2K/XP while then at the same time
    booting to W98 and not have W98 fatal errors in one form or another.. ..and
    I tried everything because I wanted to succeed, but it was not to be.
    ...Finally I decided afterall it's pretty easy to just unplug the extra
    stick(s) of ram when I boot to 98 and so that's what I do. Naturally
    wanting to stay with performance matched pairs of 512 DDR keeps me from
    pursuing (what the few reported persons who were able to run the unmatched
    scenario of) 1.5 GB in W98SE - although I tried that too in all ways, with
    a few machines, but could not get it to run without one error or another
    and was unstable as well.. So it's 1 GB for W98se is most stable; of
    course an honorable mention is also having the hard drive connected to a
    Promise Ultra133 TX2 PCI Controller which in my view is imperative to glean
    the remarkable increase in overall performance it gives over than just
    using any of the standard motherboard controllers. (..and I do mean
    'remarkable' improvement, tested, especially when you start talking about
    running 1.5 - 3.4 GHz processors) Alternately to the pci controller the
    passé and limited Applications Accelerator do not match using a pci
    controller benefits, of which benefits were also realized on W2K/WXP as
    well. Afterall is one is going to mindfully consider more than 1GB of ram
    with a modern GHz processor and has performance in mind, then the ability
    to unleash that technology instead of bottle necking it is an easy decision
    imho.

    Rick

    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you're dual booting XP, you may be cutting yourself short in the RAM
    >>>area
    >>>(if running memory intensive applications). Suggest another PC for
    >>>that.
    >>>

    >> If you are running Windows XP and Windows 98 (or Windows Me) dual boot
    >> and you want to have lots of RAM for Windows XP then all you need to
    >> do is to insert a MaxPhysPage=nnnnn line into the [386enh] section of
    >> the system.ini file for Windows 98 so as to prevent it from trying to
    >> use more than desired amount of RAM. MaxPhysPage=40000 will limit
    >> Windows XP to 1 gb of RAM regardless of how much more than that is
    >> actually installed.
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I must correct myself:

    You can limit the amount of memory, using by Win98, not in System properties,
    but in Msconfig:

    Start -- Run... msconfig

    then select 'General' tab in Msconfig, and press 'Advanced' button.

    And to add: if there is more than 512 MB of RAM installed -- installing
    EMM386.EXE (from Config.sys) will cause the problems in any case, even if you
    limit the memory via Msconfig or by direct editing of System.ini (what is the
    same: Msconfig writes a line:

    MaxPhysPage=.........

    in System.ini). When more than 512 MB of RAM is installed -- it is better not
    to install Himem.sys from Config.sys as well: in this case it causes some very
    minor problems, too (but it will be loaded in any case at the next step: by
    default it is loading from io.sys).

    --
    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:30:02 -0500, "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
    wrote:

    > The max is 512 without tweaks. Perhaps some of this in a post earlier by MVP
    >Mikhail Zhilin will help out.
    >
    >There are several problems in Win98 if more than 512 MB of RAM installed,
    >
    >"Windows 95 Can Access Up to Two GB of RAM"
    >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/5/94.ASP
    >
    >"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
    >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP
    >
    >"Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows"
    >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/4/47.ASP
    >
    >"Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
    >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/9/43.ASP
    >
    >and it is strictly recommended to add a line in System.ini, under [386Enh]
    >section:
    >
    >[386Enh]
    >MaxFileCache=524288
    >
    >which resolves most of the issues.
    >
    >BUT I'm sure, in your case it is NOT a problem of Windows itself, but a
    >problem of the old installer, which counts such amount of memory wrongly.
    >
    >As a workaround, you can limit temporarily a memory, using by Windows
    >(somewhere in Control Panel -- System; have no Win98 handy to give the exact
    >tab of System Properties, where you can change this limit) -- down to, say,
    >256 MB; then restart, install the program, and remove the memory limitation
    >again.
    >
    >But that may be this old version of Cobol won't work with 1GB of memory, too,
    >and there will be need to search for the newer version, or limit temporarily
    >the memory (in the same way) when it is supposed to work with it.
    >
    >--
    >Mikhail Zhilin
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    >Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    >Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    >======

    Hi Gary,

    I didn't try that with 2GB of RAM -- but only with 1GB.

    When installation of Win98 reboots for the first time -- you can insert the
    startup diskette again, then run in DOS:

    edit c:\windows\system.ini

    and change MaxFileCache and MaxPhysPage settings.

    BTW, Win-3.1 works fine with 1GB installed -- but uses less than 128MB of it;
    and there are no video drivers for the modern video cards, designed to work in
    Win-3.1. So pity: Win-3.1 works so fast at PIV-2.4GB! <vbg>

    --
    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:46:29 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Ron, I'm curious if you have an answer for this quandary--
    >
    >How do you install Win98 to a machine with, say, 2GB of RAM, without
    >physically removing some of the RAM? Is there an easy way to get the needed
    >entries into System.ini? Seems I used to know how to do this kind of thing,
    >but my memory is an absolute sieve these days...
    >
    >Also, how can one alter a Windows Startup floppy disk to allow it to
    >function decently with that much RAM--or is that an issue?

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:40:46 +0400, Mikhail Zhilin <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru>
    wrote:

    <..> PIV-2.4GB! <...>

    Ouch...2.4GHz, of course.