OBE32.exe; OBEMAIL.exe, OBEE.exe, OBEServ.exe

I've been plagued by these three processes running on my PC. I can't kill the
processes, and they slow down my PC terrribly. Also, all processes are
"recognised" as Microsoft Corp. apps. All these files are 172 kb. and cant be
found when booting from booting from a disk. A Google search reveals no
solutions... only that other people have a problem with these. Does anyone
know what these files are, where do they come from, what do they do, are they
Microsfot products, and how do I get rid of them or stop them running? A
virus search does not identify these files as viruses, worms or trojans. Can
anyone help please!!
4 answers Last reply
More about obe32 obemail obee obeserv

    "Russell" <Russell @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I've been plagued by these three processes running on my PC. I can't kill
    the
    > processes, and they slow down my PC terrribly. Also, all processes are
    > "recognised" as Microsoft Corp. apps. All these files are 172 kb. and cant
    be
    > found when booting from booting from a disk. A Google search reveals no
    > solutions... only that other people have a problem with these. Does anyone

    Whatever the cause, you can prevent these running
    by (in DOS if necessary) renaming the EXE files as
    type XXX and rebooting. Your startup files may then
    generate error messages (EXE file not found) that
    help you trace the cause: but files that do not load
    at all cannot slow down your PC.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Those .exe files are not listed in the MS Knowledge Base and therefore are
    not MS related files. It appears these files are being started at boot and
    if so, you will not be able to rename or delete them. Check Add/Remove
    Programs in the Control Panel to see if there is some sort of a program
    installed that might use these files. If so, uninstall it. If not, go to
    Run on the Start button, type: msconfig and hit OK. Click the
    startup tab, find and disable (remove the mark) the references to these
    files. Restart the computer. Be sure that all files are being shown
    (Windows Explorer, click view, click folder options, click the view tab and
    mark Show All Files), do a find on the files and rename them. Reboot to see
    if the files have been replaced by some other program being started at boot.
    If they have not, then you should get a notice or notices stating that the
    files cannot be found. All that remains will be to find the references to
    the files in startup points and delete them. These are the typical start up
    points:

    Start up folder on the start menu, the load= and run= lines in the win.ini
    and these registry run keys (use regedit.exe):

    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
    2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce
    4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­RunOnce
    5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunServices
    6.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunServicesOnce
    7.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce\Setup

    Note: There could be a minus sign at the end of the key: i.e.,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run-

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Russell" <Russell @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been plagued by these three processes running on my PC. I can't kill
    > the
    > processes, and they slow down my PC terrribly. Also, all processes are
    > "recognised" as Microsoft Corp. apps. All these files are 172 kb. and cant
    > be
    > found when booting from booting from a disk. A Google search reveals no
    > solutions... only that other people have a problem with these. Does anyone
    > know what these files are, where do they come from, what do they do, are
    > they
    > Microsfot products, and how do I get rid of them or stop them running? A
    > virus search does not identify these files as viruses, worms or trojans.
    > Can
    > anyone help please!!

    cf. http://www.processlibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227

    None of them are valid Windows files.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Russell wrote:
    > I've been plagued by these three processes running on my PC. I can't kill
    > the processes, and they slow down my PC terrribly. Also, all processes
    > are "recognised" as Microsoft Corp. apps. All these files are 172 kb. and
    > cant be found when booting from booting from a disk. A Google search
    > reveals no solutions... only that other people have a problem with these.
    > Does anyone know what these files are, where do they come from, what do
    > they do, are they Microsfot products, and how do I get rid of them or
    > stop them running? A virus search does not identify these files as
    > viruses, worms or trojans. Can anyone help please!!

    Hey, I found out those files come with some versions of Windows Office
    2003+ St. Ed. I found the original keys in the registry editor and all
    you have to do is go to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\_RunOnce

    then delete the reg keys for OBEE, OBEE32, OBEEServ, and OBEEMail

    --
    DJ_Donger666

Microsoft Windows