Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 23, 2005 12:16:46 PM

Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?
Just wondered.

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:00:09 PM

Nope, the largest that a ram drive can be is 32 mb

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?
> Just wondered.
>
> Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:49:45 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:00:09 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com>
wrote:

>Nope, the largest that a ram drive can be is 32 mb

I wonder how come Linux can do that using a live cd?
It can be installed to ram.

Greg Ro
August 23, 2005 2:30:36 PM

> Nope, the largest that a ram drive can be is 32 mb

I found that out when I was once trying to make one. Is there any way to get
a bigger one? Curious
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:52:27 PM

> I wonder how come Linux can do that using a live cd?
> It can be installed to ram.

It could be the different kernel.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:57:39 PM

Greg Ro <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in news:eZxffT#pFHA.3404
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?
> Just wondered.
>
> Greg Ro

No. You can create a windows installation which will run from ramdrive, but
you can't install on it. Windows will reboot a few times during
installation, and empty the ramdrive.
Information on creating this installation:
<http://www.lachiesadicristo.it/w98cd/page1.htm&gt;
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:36:48 PM

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in news:#QKYm8#pFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

>> Nope, the largest that a ram drive can be is 32 mb
>
> I found that out when I was once trying to make one. Is there any way
> to get a bigger one? Curious

<http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/4825.html&gt;
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:22:54 AM

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in news:edDvAD$pFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

>> <http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/4825.html&gt;
>
> Thanx, could you give me a description and instructions? It seems rather
> cloudy.

Download and unzip the tool. Copy xmsdsk.exe to C:\Windows\Command (or any
other place) Add the line
devicehigh=C:\Windows\Command\xmsdsk.exe 100000

to C:\config.sys. This will create a ramdisk of 100000 kb.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:22:55 AM

> Download and unzip the tool. Copy xmsdsk.exe to C:\Windows\Command (or any
> other place) Add the line
> devicehigh=C:\Windows\Command\xmsdsk.exe 100000
>
> to C:\config.sys. This will create a ramdisk of 100000 kb.

Thanx again. Is this program reliable and trustworthy?
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:49:05 AM

jkb wrote:
>>I wonder how come Linux can do that using a live cd?
>>It can be installed to ram.
>

> It could be the different kernel.

Different aproach to working multiuser system.
Anything (anything?) can be configured without rebooting and stopping
other users work. (Not the PC (_Personal_ Computer) style;^).

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
!