problems installing bt broadband

Hi I am trying to install BT Broadband on to my p.c I am running windows 98
second edition. when I put the c.d in to the drive it goes through to the
point where it needs dll files I have downloaded all the files needed and
stored them in the file that it defaults to for picking them up (the other
option is that you insert the windows c.d which I do not have) howver it is
not picking up the files when I click on next. I have spoken to bt who were
unhelpfull and could not work it out.
I wondered if any one else could help me I've been trying to sort this out
for over a month.
3 answers Last reply
More about problems installing broadband

    When it comes to the point of installing the downloaded files, click on
    browse and make sure the system is looking in the correct folder.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    From: "harp" <harp@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Hi I am trying to install BT Broadband on to my p.c I am running windows 98
    | second edition. when I put the c.d in to the drive it goes through to the
    | point where it needs dll files I have downloaded all the files needed and
    | stored them in the file that it defaults to for picking them up (the other
    | option is that you insert the windows c.d which I do not have) howver it is
    | not picking up the files when I click on next. I have spoken to bt who were
    | unhelpfull and could not work it out.
    | I wondered if any one else could help me I've been trying to sort this out
    | for over a month.

    Rule #1 -- Don't install ISP software !

    If you are getting DSL from BT, get a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41 and it,
    not the PC, will make the PPPoE connection. If it isn't DSL or if it is DSL via DHCP it
    will still make the connection and NO ISP software should ne needed on the PC.

    Besides the PPPoE connection capability, there are *many* other benefits to such a device
    such as a simplistic FireWall and sharing the one Internet WAN connection with up to 253 LAN
    nodes.

    As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    http://www.aria.co.uk do a cheap WONDERFUL pci bb modem (Bewan) for under
    £20, and the *.inf file is WONDERFUL - conifgurations for several large UK
    ISP's are all done for you. I put one in Dad's coomputer and didn't have to
    do any manual tweaking at all! You have to download the drivers yourself
    from Bewan's web-site, (easy to select the wrongs ones), but, whoever wrote
    the installation certainly knew their stuff.

    regards, Richard

    > From: "harp" <harp@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | Hi I am trying to install BT Broadband on to my p.c I am running windows
    > 98
    > | second edition. when I put the c.d in to the drive it goes through to
    > the
    > | point where it needs dll files I have downloaded all the files needed
    > and
    > | stored them in the file that it defaults to for picking them up (the
    > other
    > | option is that you insert the windows c.d which I do not have) howver it
    > is
    > | not picking up the files when I click on next. I have spoken to bt who
    > were
    > | unhelpfull and could not work it out.
    > | I wondered if any one else could help me I've been trying to sort this
    > out
    > | for over a month.
    >
    > Rule #1 -- Don't install ISP software !
    >
    > If you are getting DSL from BT, get a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys
    > BEFSR41 and it,
    > not the PC, will make the PPPoE connection. If it isn't DSL or if it is
    > DSL via DHCP it
    > will still make the connection and NO ISP software should ne needed on the
    > PC.
    >
    > Besides the PPPoE connection capability, there are *many* other benefits
    > to such a device
    > such as a simplistic FireWall and sharing the one Internet WAN connection
    > with up to 253 LAN
    > nodes.
    >
    > As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on
    > *any* SOHO Router.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm