Undo a RAID config

GrandpaWiz

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
All -
Building a new box, GA-K8N Pro-SLI, Athlon 64X2@2200Hz,1GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce7600 video, 2X 160GB Seagate SATA drives. I put it all together, got everything loaded, and just realized that I set up the RAID mirror with both drives on the same controller (both drives on SATA 0/1). Is it possible to "break the mirror" and move the second drive to SATA 2/3 without losing all the work I've already put into loading software?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
It should be. But, as always, a backup is a good idea. :)

First, break the mirror by removing one drive.

Then (here's where I'm not certain - different controllers work different ways), you may be able to just plug the 2nd drive into the other controller and in the RAID config just tell it to resynch. Or you may need to format the 2nd drive to erase the raid info before you remirror.

Mike.

GrandpaWiz

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
All -
I shut down the system, and moved the cable to SATA_2. Rebooted, and the mirror came back up healthy. Thanks for the replies.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Are you talking about a mirrored array where both drive have the same data ? and you want to configure them as a striped array ? just moving one drive over to the other channel and then in your BIOs having it build the image should work but I strongly recomend using Ghost before you do just in case everything goes south...