config.sys and autoexec.bat

Andre

I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted. I
was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but the
autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I dont
remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
but not windows 98

Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
disk

is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98 system?

"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote:

>I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
>been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted. I
>was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but the
>autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I dont
>remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
>but not windows 98
>
>Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
>i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
>disk
>
>is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98 system?

The autoexec.bat and config.sys files are totally optional for Windows
98 and there is no essential need for them to be present.

If they do exist they will, of course, be processed. But Windows 98
should startup without problems if these 2 files are not there.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Neither file is required by Windows.

What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to boot
into Windows?

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
> been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted.
> was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
> the
> autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
> dont
> remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
> but not windows 98
>
> Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
> i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
> disk
>
> is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
> system?

Andre

ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos then?
do i just type win to get windows to start?

when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> Neither file is required by Windows.
>
> What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to boot
> into Windows?
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
have
> > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
deleted.
> > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
> > the
> > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
> > dont
> > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
prompt,
> > but not windows 98
> >
> > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
and
> > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
> > disk
> >
> > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
> > system?

Andre

update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface scan....
it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|

thoughts?

> ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
then?
> do i just type win to get windows to start?
>
> when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
>

> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> > Neither file is required by Windows.
> >
> > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to
boot
> > into Windows?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >

> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >

> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
> have
> > > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
> deleted.
> > > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk,
but
> > > the
> > > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years ..
> > > dont
> > > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
> prompt,
> > > but not windows 98
> > >
> > > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
> and
> > > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the
boot
> > > disk
> > >
> > > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
> > > system?

Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
> start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface
> scan....
> it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
> found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
>
> thoughts?
>

> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
> then?
>> do i just type win to get windows to start?
>>
>> when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
>>

>> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
>> > Neither file is required by Windows.
>> >
>> > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to
> boot
>> > into Windows?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> >

>> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
>> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> > Knowledge Base Info:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>> >

>> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> have
>> deleted.
> but
>> prompt,

>> and
> boot

Andre

I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there was
no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what the
result is..

> Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
> possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
> > start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface
> > scan....
> > it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
> > found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
> >
> > thoughts?
> >

> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> >> ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
> > then?
> >> do i just type win to get windows to start?
> >>
> >> when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
> >>

> >> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message

> > boot

> >> have
> >> deleted.
> > but
> >> prompt,

> >> and
> > boot

OK.

In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

>I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there was
> no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what
> the
> result is..

>> Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
>> possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> > update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try
>> > start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface
>> > scan....
>> > it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
>> > found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
>> >
>> > thoughts?
>> >

>> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> > then?

>> > boot

> config.sys
> disk,
>> > but
> ..

> cdrom.
>> > boot

Andre

Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks like
an emachine all in one)
There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If I
can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+

on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that makes a
difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p

> OK.
>
> In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
> substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there
was
> > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what
> > the
> > result is..
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
> >> possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message

> > config.sys
> > disk,
> > ..

> > cdrom.

1. Sounds to me like the HDD is FUBAR.
2. Yes, Win98 has SFC, but you can't run SFC until you get into Windows.
Regardless, I don't see what good it would do.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
> like
> an emachine all in one)
> There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If
> can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
> if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
>
> on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
> been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
> night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that makes
> difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p

>> OK.
>>
>> In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
>> substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there
> was
>> > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see
>> > what
>> > the
>> > result is..
>> >

>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

> not

> dos

>> > config.sys
>> > disk,
> years
>> > ..

>> > cdrom.

Andre

oh, i thought it was something i could do in dos :| ...

if i can get it to at least a bootable mode .. the rest should be ok.. I
hope :D

> 1. Sounds to me like the HDD is FUBAR.
> 2. Yes, Win98 has SFC, but you can't run SFC until you get into Windows.
> Regardless, I don't see what good it would do.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
> > like
> > an emachine all in one)
> > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom..
If
> > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't
recall
> > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
> >
> > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block,
it's
> > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
> > night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that
makes
> > difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> OK.
> >>
> >> In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be
missing
> >> substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to
reinstall.

> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > was

> > not

> > dos

> > years

Most hard drive manufacturers have diagnostic software available
for download.

Maxtor http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm
Seagate http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2

Ben
"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message news:#Q$4TuCqFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
> start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface scan....
> it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
> found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
>
> thoughts?
>

> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
> then?
> > do i just type win to get windows to start?
> >
> > when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
> >

> > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> > > Neither file is required by Windows.
> > >
> > > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to
> boot
> > > into Windows?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > > Knowledge Base Info:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> > >

> > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > have
> > deleted.
> but
> > prompt,

> > and
> boot

If the hard drive is bad, it's bad. No use going any further without
replacing it. If the BIOS is too old to support any hard drive you can find
these days, then it's too old to bother with. Otherwise, a 5400 RPM drive of
something less than 80 GB may work just fine.

I think you're fooling yourself if you think this system can be "recovered".
I seriously suspect that your only option is to replace the HDD and
reinstall (restore) from scratch.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> oh, i thought it was something i could do in dos :| ...
>
> if i can get it to at least a bootable mode .. the rest should be ok.. I
> hope :D

>> 1. Sounds to me like the HDD is FUBAR.
>> 2. Yes, Win98 has SFC, but you can't run SFC until you get into Windows.
>> Regardless, I don't see what good it would do.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
>> > like
>> > an emachine all in one)
>> > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom..
> If
>> > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't
> recall
>> > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
>> >
>> > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block,
> it's
>> > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
>> > night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that
> makes
>> > difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p
>> >

>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

> missing
> reinstall.

> there
>> > was

> the

> were
>> > not

>> > dos

> it

> boot
>> > years

> the
> on

"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message

> Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
like
> an emachine all in one)
> There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If
> can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
> if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+

Access to the CD ROM requires one of:
Windows completed installation, or
MS DOS booting floppy with appropriate drivers
(free from www.bootdisk.com; you download one
big EXE file then EXEcute it to write all the files
to a new floppy.)

> on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
> been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over

Most users would not waste more time on a HD
that seems so obviously damaged (when bigger
new ones are so cheap.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Andre

Normally, I wouldn't waste time on the hard drive, but my options are rather
limited, since drivers for this machine are discontinued and no longer
available from compaq... I can't

If I can get it to restore .. i can ghost it or something and put it onto
another hard drive .. but for the moment .. if i can't restore it .. the
whole unit is pretty much FUBAR.

of course i'm open to options, but keep in mind just throwing in a new hard
drive and reinstalling isn't really as easy as it sounds.

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>
> > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
> like
> > an emachine all in one)
> > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom..
If
> > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't
recall
> > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
>
> Access to the CD ROM requires one of:
> Windows completed installation, or
> MS DOS booting floppy with appropriate drivers
> (free from www.bootdisk.com; you download one
> big EXE file then EXEcute it to write all the files
> to a new floppy.)
>
> > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block,
it's
> > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
>
> Most users would not waste more time on a HD
> that seems so obviously damaged (when bigger
> new ones are so cheap.)
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Andre

Believe me, reinstalling would have been my first choice, but you're missing
the key point tho, I cannot reinstall without proper drivers.. which are no
longer available :p (according to compaq) if you know how this is possible,
I'm more then open to the idea. Are there such thing generic drivers for
older systems? .. Don't get me wrong here, I really appreciate any response
I get, i'm just not seeing how your response can work in the given
situation. The drivers are installed on the system with the current version
of windows, running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it
not?) if they're altered or cannot find them.

for the moment, the only valid solution that i can see is to attempt to
restore as best as possible, (at least get windows to boot up) image (norton
ghost) the install .. then place the image on a new hard drive.. (drivers
intact)

alternatively, if i can't to that, I think the only option is to tell my
friend to scrap the computer. I'd like to say I put an honest effort into it
tho before telling him that.

Andre wrote:

> The drivers
> are installed on the system with the current version of windows,
> running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it not?)
> if they're altered or cannot find them.

Yes, assuming you have a source (CD/Floppy) from which it can get them
and if that is the case you don't need SFC. You don't have a restore CD
for your computer?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

As dadiOH says, what are you going to use as a source for those files when
you run SFC? Where do you expect to copy the replacement files from if you
don't have the files on CD?

A computer, *especially* a Compaq, cannot long survive without its
installation files, whether they're Windows or drivers installation files.
If you don't have them, and you can't find copies, you're SOL. Particularly
for this machine, I'd say that any further time or expense is warrantless.
The HDD is trash. You might be able to use certain tools to directly image
the existing structure to a new HDD, and then try to repair it, get it to
boot, etc., but I give that about a 1% chance of success (and there's the
cost of a new HDD to add to the accounts now.) That's *before* you even get
to the point of trying to use SFC or whatever to rebuild it. Without the
installation files, I give that goal about .0001% chance of success, and
only after days of time wasted on your part.

Tell your friend, on my behalf, that your did your best, <s>. Go buy a new
machine. The cheapest Dell is going to be 100 times better than that Compaq.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> tho before telling him that.

>> If the hard drive is bad, it's bad. No use going any further without
>> replacing it. If the BIOS is too old to support any hard drive you can
> find
>> these days, then it's too old to bother with. Otherwise, a 5400 RPM drive
> of
>> something less than 80 GB may work just fine.
>>
>> I think you're fooling yourself if you think this system can be
> "recovered".
>> I seriously suspect that your only option is to replace the HDD and
>> reinstall (restore) from scratch.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>

>> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
>> > oh, i thought it was something i could do in dos :| ...
>> >
>> > if i can get it to at least a bootable mode .. the rest should be ok..

Andre

is I cannot use an alternate windows CD to replace the system only files ?

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
> Andre wrote:
>
> > The drivers
> > are installed on the system with the current version of windows,
> > running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it not?)
> > if they're altered or cannot find them.
>
> Yes, assuming you have a source (CD/Floppy) from which it can get them
> and if that is the case you don't need SFC. You don't have a restore CD
> for your computer?
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

You *probably* can (was the original installation Second Edition?), unless
the file(s) involved are Compaq proprietary files, and you're more likely to
run into that wall on a Compaq than on any other make.

But I also assume that any machine that old has been significantly updated
from the original installation. Say the machine was upgraded to IE 5.5. If
SFC tells you that MSHTML.DLL is missing, and you restore a copy from the
Windows 98 SE installation CD, you're not going to be installing the right
file, and it's going to cause problems.

Anyway, after looking over this thread again, I think that if any solution
is possible, it's to reinstall from the Windows CD you have over the top of
the existing installation. Skip the Scandisk by using the /is switch for
Setup.exe. and see if you can get it to run. Honestly, I think your project
is doomed, but a reinstall over the top is the only thing I can see that
even has a *chance*

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> is I cannot use an alternate windows CD to replace the system only files ?
>
> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
>> Andre wrote:
>>
>> > The drivers
>> > are installed on the system with the current version of windows,
>> > running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it not?)
>> > if they're altered or cannot find them.
>>
>> Yes, assuming you have a source (CD/Floppy) from which it can get them
>> and if that is the case you don't need SFC. You don't have a restore CD
>> for your computer?
>>
>> --
>> dadiOH
>> ____________________________
>>
>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
> been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted. I
> was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but the
> autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I dont
> remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
> but not windows 98
>
> Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
> i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
> disk

Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.

> is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98 system?

Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
Insert it and choose CDrom support.
Run scandisk from it.
Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and replace it
with one off a floppy
It belongs in C:\Windows.
If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a slave and
copy what you want.

Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.

Andre

> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
have
> > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
deleted. I
> > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
the
> > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
dont
> > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
prompt,
> > but not windows 98
> >
> > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
and
> > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
> > disk
>
> Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.
>

> > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
system?

> Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
> Insert it and choose CDrom support.
> Run scandisk from it.
> Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
> Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and
replace it
> with one off a floppy
> It belongs in C:\Windows.
> If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a
slave and
> copy what you want.
>
> Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
> At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.

this machine has a strange bios, I previously even contacted compaq live
online tech support to show me where it is so i could boot from cd.

actually I like your idea about throwing it in another system .. for that
I'd need to install win98 on another system and run a compare of system
files .. i think i could probably do that with a few file transfer
programs..
thanks for the added thoughts ..

See if this is helpful.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93408&lang=en&cc=us&os=20

Ben

"Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message news:#6yrm2DqFHA.3744@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks like
> an emachine all in one)
> There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If I
> can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
> if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
>
> on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
> been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
> night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that makes a
> difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p

> > OK.
> >
> > In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
> > substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS-MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there
> was
> > > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what
> > > the
> > > result is..

<snip>

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
> have
> > > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
> deleted. I
> > > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
> the
> > > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
> dont
> > > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
> prompt,
> > > but not windows 98
> > >
> > > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
> and
> > > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
> > > disk
> >
> > Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.
> >

> > > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
> system?
> >
> > Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
> > Insert it and choose CDrom support.
> > Run scandisk from it.
> > Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
> > Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and
> replace it
> > with one off a floppy
> > It belongs in C:\Windows.
> > If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a
> slave and
> > copy what you want.
> >
> > Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
> > At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.
> >

> this machine has a strange bios, I previously even contacted compaq live
> online tech support to show me where it is so i could boot from cd.
>
> actually I like your idea about throwing it in another system .. for that
> I'd need to install win98 on another system and run a compare of system
> files .. i think i could probably do that with a few file transfer
> programs..
> thanks for the added thoughts ..

I believe that XP would read that drive OK.
If you do the switch, make sure you set the jumper on the HDD to the slave
position.
Hopefully someone with an older Compaq will tell you how to get into the BIOS.
Many times it tells you on the very first screen during bootup.

Andre

I did plug it into the new computer and virus scanned it (tons of viruses
LOL) and when I scan disked .. with three diff programs .. they all pretty
much said un-repairable .. I'm going to see if I can get away with imaging
the drive still and throwing it on a new one .. I put the cab files for
win98 on it as well so I don't need to worry about the cdrom issue at the
moment