config.sys and autoexec.bat

I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted. I
was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but the
autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I dont
remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
but not windows 98

Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
disk

is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98 system?
34 answers Last reply
More about config autoexec

    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote:

    >I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
    >been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted. I
    >was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but the
    >autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I dont
    >remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
    >but not windows 98
    >
    >Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
    >i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
    >disk
    >
    >is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98 system?

    The autoexec.bat and config.sys files are totally optional for Windows
    98 and there is no essential need for them to be present.

    If they do exist they will, of course, be processed. But Windows 98
    should startup without problems if these 2 files are not there.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Neither file is required by Windows.

    What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to boot
    into Windows?

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
    > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted.
    > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
    > the
    > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
    > dont
    > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
    > but not windows 98
    >
    > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
    > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
    > disk
    >
    > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
    > system?

    ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos then?
    do i just type win to get windows to start?

    when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Neither file is required by Windows.
    >
    > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to boot
    > into Windows?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
    have
    > > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
    deleted.
    > > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
    > > the
    > > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
    > > dont
    > > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
    prompt,
    > > but not windows 98
    > >
    > > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
    and
    > > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
    > > disk
    > >
    > > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
    > > system?

    update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
    start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface scan....
    it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
    found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|

    thoughts?

    > ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
    then?
    > do i just type win to get windows to start?
    >
    > when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
    >

    > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Neither file is required by Windows.
    > >
    > > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to
    boot
    > > into Windows?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >

    > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > > Knowledge Base Info:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    > >

    > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
    > have
    > > > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
    > deleted.
    > > > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk,
    but
    > > > the
    > > > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years ..
    > > > dont
    > > > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
    > prompt,
    > > > but not windows 98
    > > >
    > > > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
    > and
    > > > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the
    boot
    > > > disk
    > > >
    > > > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
    > > > system?

    Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
    possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
    > start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface
    > scan....
    > it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
    > found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
    >
    > thoughts?
    >

    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
    > then?
    >> do i just type win to get windows to start?
    >>
    >> when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
    >>

    >> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    >> > Neither file is required by Windows.
    >> >
    >> > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to
    > boot
    >> > into Windows?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards
    >> >

    >> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    >> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    >> > Knowledge Base Info:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >> >

    >> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> have
    >> deleted.
    > but
    >> prompt,

    >> and
    > boot

    I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there was
    no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what the
    result is..

    > Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
    > possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
    > > start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface
    > > scan....
    > > it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
    > > found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
    > >
    > > thoughts?
    > >

    > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > >> ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
    > > then?
    > >> do i just type win to get windows to start?
    > >>
    > >> when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
    > >>

    > >> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message

    > > boot

    > >> have
    > >> deleted.
    > > but
    > >> prompt,

    > >> and
    > > boot

    OK.

    In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
    substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there was
    > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what
    > the
    > result is..

    >> Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
    >> possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> > update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try
    >> > start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface
    >> > scan....
    >> > it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
    >> > found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
    >> >
    >> > thoughts?
    >> >

    >> > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> > then?

    >> > boot

    > config.sys
    > disk,
    >> > but
    > ..

    > cdrom.
    >> > boot

    Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks like
    an emachine all in one)
    There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If I
    can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
    if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+

    on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
    been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
    night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that makes a
    difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p

    > OK.
    >
    > In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
    > substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there
    was
    > > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what
    > > the
    > > result is..
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Try running scandisk *before* starting WIN. You need to deal with the
    > >> possibly FUBAR HDD before you bother to continue.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message

    > > config.sys
    > > disk,
    > > ..

    > > cdrom.

    1. Sounds to me like the HDD is FUBAR.
    2. Yes, Win98 has SFC, but you can't run SFC until you get into Windows.
    Regardless, I don't see what good it would do.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
    > like
    > an emachine all in one)
    > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If
    > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
    > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
    >
    > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
    > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
    > night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that makes
    > difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p

    >> OK.
    >>
    >> In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
    >> substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there
    > was
    >> > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see
    >> > what
    >> > the
    >> > result is..
    >> >

    >> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > not

    > dos

    >> > config.sys
    >> > disk,
    > years
    >> > ..

    >> > cdrom.

    oh, i thought it was something i could do in dos :| ...

    if i can get it to at least a bootable mode .. the rest should be ok.. I
    hope :D

    > 1. Sounds to me like the HDD is FUBAR.
    > 2. Yes, Win98 has SFC, but you can't run SFC until you get into Windows.
    > Regardless, I don't see what good it would do.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS-MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
    > > like
    > > an emachine all in one)
    > > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom..
    If
    > > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't
    recall
    > > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
    > >
    > > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block,
    it's
    > > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
    > > night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that
    makes
    > > difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> OK.
    > >>
    > >> In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be
    missing
    > >> substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to
    reinstall.

    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > was

    > > not

    > > dos

    > > years

    Most hard drive manufacturers have diagnostic software available
    for download.

    Maxtor http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm
    Seagate http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2

    Ben
    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message news:#Q$4TuCqFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > update: ok, i've let the scandisk run twice after typing "win" to try to
    > start windows.. and it freezes at 70% both times doing the surface scan....
    > it did find and repair two bad sectors in the first scan which were not
    > found in the second. but both scans froze at the same spot :|
    >
    > thoughts?
    >

    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos
    > then?
    > > do i just type win to get windows to start?
    > >
    > > when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan
    > >

    > > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > > Neither file is required by Windows.
    > > >
    > > > What prompt is the computer booting to? Have you tried to get it to
    > boot
    > > > into Windows?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards
    > > >

    > > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > > > Knowledge Base Info:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    > > >

    > > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > have
    > > deleted.
    > but
    > > prompt,

    > > and
    > boot

    If the hard drive is bad, it's bad. No use going any further without
    replacing it. If the BIOS is too old to support any hard drive you can find
    these days, then it's too old to bother with. Otherwise, a 5400 RPM drive of
    something less than 80 GB may work just fine.

    I think you're fooling yourself if you think this system can be "recovered".
    I seriously suspect that your only option is to replace the HDD and
    reinstall (restore) from scratch.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > oh, i thought it was something i could do in dos :| ...
    >
    > if i can get it to at least a bootable mode .. the rest should be ok.. I
    > hope :D

    >> 1. Sounds to me like the HDD is FUBAR.
    >> 2. Yes, Win98 has SFC, but you can't run SFC until you get into Windows.
    >> Regardless, I don't see what good it would do.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>
    >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
    >> > like
    >> > an emachine all in one)
    >> > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom..
    > If
    >> > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't
    > recall
    >> > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
    >> >
    >> > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block,
    > it's
    >> > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
    >> > night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that
    > makes
    >> > difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p
    >> >

    >> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > missing
    > reinstall.

    > there
    >> > was

    > the

    > were
    >> > not

    >> > dos

    > it

    > boot
    >> > years

    > the
    > on

    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message

    > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
    like
    > an emachine all in one)
    > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If
    > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
    > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+

    Access to the CD ROM requires one of:
    Windows completed installation, or
    MS DOS booting floppy with appropriate drivers
    (free from www.bootdisk.com; you download one
    big EXE file then EXEcute it to write all the files
    to a new floppy.)

    > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
    > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over

    Most users would not waste more time on a HD
    that seems so obviously damaged (when bigger
    new ones are so cheap.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Normally, I wouldn't waste time on the hard drive, but my options are rather
    limited, since drivers for this machine are discontinued and no longer
    available from compaq... I can't

    If I can get it to restore .. i can ghost it or something and put it onto
    another hard drive .. but for the moment .. if i can't restore it .. the
    whole unit is pretty much FUBAR.

    of course i'm open to options, but keep in mind just throwing in a new hard
    drive and reinstalling isn't really as easy as it sounds.

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks
    > like
    > > an emachine all in one)
    > > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom..
    If
    > > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't
    recall
    > > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
    >
    > Access to the CD ROM requires one of:
    > Windows completed installation, or
    > MS DOS booting floppy with appropriate drivers
    > (free from www.bootdisk.com; you download one
    > big EXE file then EXEcute it to write all the files
    > to a new floppy.)
    >
    > > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block,
    it's
    > > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
    >
    > Most users would not waste more time on a HD
    > that seems so obviously damaged (when bigger
    > new ones are so cheap.)
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    Believe me, reinstalling would have been my first choice, but you're missing
    the key point tho, I cannot reinstall without proper drivers.. which are no
    longer available :p (according to compaq) if you know how this is possible,
    I'm more then open to the idea. Are there such thing generic drivers for
    older systems? .. Don't get me wrong here, I really appreciate any response
    I get, i'm just not seeing how your response can work in the given
    situation. The drivers are installed on the system with the current version
    of windows, running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it
    not?) if they're altered or cannot find them.

    for the moment, the only valid solution that i can see is to attempt to
    restore as best as possible, (at least get windows to boot up) image (norton
    ghost) the install .. then place the image on a new hard drive.. (drivers
    intact)

    alternatively, if i can't to that, I think the only option is to tell my
    friend to scrap the computer. I'd like to say I put an honest effort into it
    tho before telling him that.

    Andre wrote:

    > The drivers
    > are installed on the system with the current version of windows,
    > running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it not?)
    > if they're altered or cannot find them.

    Yes, assuming you have a source (CD/Floppy) from which it can get them
    and if that is the case you don't need SFC. You don't have a restore CD
    for your computer?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    As dadiOH says, what are you going to use as a source for those files when
    you run SFC? Where do you expect to copy the replacement files from if you
    don't have the files on CD?

    A computer, *especially* a Compaq, cannot long survive without its
    installation files, whether they're Windows or drivers installation files.
    If you don't have them, and you can't find copies, you're SOL. Particularly
    for this machine, I'd say that any further time or expense is warrantless.
    The HDD is trash. You might be able to use certain tools to directly image
    the existing structure to a new HDD, and then try to repair it, get it to
    boot, etc., but I give that about a 1% chance of success (and there's the
    cost of a new HDD to add to the accounts now.) That's *before* you even get
    to the point of trying to use SFC or whatever to rebuild it. Without the
    installation files, I give that goal about .0001% chance of success, and
    only after days of time wasted on your part.

    Tell your friend, on my behalf, that your did your best, <s>. Go buy a new
    machine. The cheapest Dell is going to be 100 times better than that Compaq.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    > tho before telling him that.

    >> If the hard drive is bad, it's bad. No use going any further without
    >> replacing it. If the BIOS is too old to support any hard drive you can
    > find
    >> these days, then it's too old to bother with. Otherwise, a 5400 RPM drive
    > of
    >> something less than 80 GB may work just fine.
    >>
    >> I think you're fooling yourself if you think this system can be
    > "recovered".
    >> I seriously suspect that your only option is to replace the HDD and
    >> reinstall (restore) from scratch.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>

    >> "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    >> > oh, i thought it was something i could do in dos :| ...
    >> >
    >> > if i can get it to at least a bootable mode .. the rest should be ok..

    is I cannot use an alternate windows CD to replace the system only files ?

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    > Andre wrote:
    >
    > > The drivers
    > > are installed on the system with the current version of windows,
    > > running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it not?)
    > > if they're altered or cannot find them.
    >
    > Yes, assuming you have a source (CD/Floppy) from which it can get them
    > and if that is the case you don't need SFC. You don't have a restore CD
    > for your computer?
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    You *probably* can (was the original installation Second Edition?), unless
    the file(s) involved are Compaq proprietary files, and you're more likely to
    run into that wall on a Compaq than on any other make.

    But I also assume that any machine that old has been significantly updated
    from the original installation. Say the machine was upgraded to IE 5.5. If
    SFC tells you that MSHTML.DLL is missing, and you restore a copy from the
    Windows 98 SE installation CD, you're not going to be installing the right
    file, and it's going to cause problems.

    Anyway, after looking over this thread again, I think that if any solution
    is possible, it's to reinstall from the Windows CD you have over the top of
    the existing installation. Skip the Scandisk by using the /is switch for
    Setup.exe. and see if you can get it to run. Honestly, I think your project
    is doomed, but a reinstall over the top is the only thing I can see that
    even has a *chance*

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > is I cannot use an alternate windows CD to replace the system only files ?
    >
    > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    >> Andre wrote:
    >>
    >> > The drivers
    >> > are installed on the system with the current version of windows,
    >> > running SFC should replace any system critical files (should it not?)
    >> > if they're altered or cannot find them.
    >>
    >> Yes, assuming you have a source (CD/Floppy) from which it can get them
    >> and if that is the case you don't need SFC. You don't have a restore CD
    >> for your computer?
    >>
    >> --
    >> dadiOH
    >> ____________________________
    >>
    >> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    >> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys have
    > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were deleted. I
    > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but the
    > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I dont
    > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a prompt,
    > but not windows 98
    >
    > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom. and
    > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
    > disk

    Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.

    > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98 system?

    Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
    Insert it and choose CDrom support.
    Run scandisk from it.
    Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
    Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and replace it
    with one off a floppy
    It belongs in C:\Windows.
    If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a slave and
    copy what you want.

    Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
    At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
    have
    > > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
    deleted. I
    > > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
    the
    > > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
    dont
    > > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
    prompt,
    > > but not windows 98
    > >
    > > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
    and
    > > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
    > > disk
    >
    > Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.
    >

    > > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
    system?

    > Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
    > Insert it and choose CDrom support.
    > Run scandisk from it.
    > Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
    > Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and
    replace it
    > with one off a floppy
    > It belongs in C:\Windows.
    > If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a
    slave and
    > copy what you want.
    >
    > Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
    > At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.

    this machine has a strange bios, I previously even contacted compaq live
    online tech support to show me where it is so i could boot from cd.

    actually I like your idea about throwing it in another system .. for that
    I'd need to install win98 on another system and run a compare of system
    files .. i think i could probably do that with a few file transfer
    programs..
    thanks for the added thoughts ..
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    See if this is helpful.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93408&lang=en&cc=us&os=20

    Ben

    "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message news:#6yrm2DqFHA.3744@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Part of my issue with that, this is an antique compaq 5526 (kinda looks like
    > an emachine all in one)
    > There are no drivers available, and I can't seem to access the CD-rom.. If I
    > can access the cdrom i think i can get away with a SFC, but i don't recall
    > if win98 has that option or was that only available in 2k+
    >
    > on the bootdisk scan, it appears to have frozen a on the same block, it's
    > been about 20 minutes and it hasn't changed, I'm going to leave it over
    > night I think (as i'm out of here in a few minutes) and see if that makes a
    > difference.. maybe it just needs some alone time :p

    > > OK.
    > >
    > > In any case, from what I read of your previous posts, you may be missing
    > > substantial portions of the Windows system and you may have to reinstall.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > >I was unable to run it without typing win from dos prompt because there
    > was
    > > > no himem installed, so i've opted to run it from a boot disk to see what
    > > > the
    > > > result is..

    <snip>
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm looking at a friends computer and the autoexec.bat and config.sys
    > have
    > > > been deleted, as a matter of fact the complete system files were
    > deleted. I
    > > > was able to restore the system by doing a "sys a:" from a boot disk, but
    > the
    > > > autoexec and config.sys are still missing, it's been so many years .. I
    > dont
    > > > remember much about them. needless to say the computer boots to a
    > prompt,
    > > > but not windows 98
    > > >
    > > > Also, I cannot do a repair from cd because I cannot access the cdrom.
    > and
    > > > i'm not sure where the cdrom drive would be called to put it on the boot
    > > > disk
    > >
    > > Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.
    > >

    > > > is there's a standard default entry for these two files for a win98
    > system?
    > >
    > > Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
    > > Insert it and choose CDrom support.
    > > Run scandisk from it.
    > > Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
    > > Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and
    > replace it
    > > with one off a floppy
    > > It belongs in C:\Windows.
    > > If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a
    > slave and
    > > copy what you want.
    > >
    > > Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
    > > At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.
    > >

    > this machine has a strange bios, I previously even contacted compaq live
    > online tech support to show me where it is so i could boot from cd.
    >
    > actually I like your idea about throwing it in another system .. for that
    > I'd need to install win98 on another system and run a compare of system
    > files .. i think i could probably do that with a few file transfer
    > programs..
    > thanks for the added thoughts ..

    I believe that XP would read that drive OK.
    If you do the switch, make sure you set the jumper on the HDD to the slave
    position.
    Hopefully someone with an older Compaq will tell you how to get into the BIOS.
    Many times it tells you on the very first screen during bootup.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I did plug it into the new computer and virus scanned it (tons of viruses
    LOL) and when I scan disked .. with three diff programs .. they all pretty
    much said un-repairable .. I'm going to see if I can get away with imaging
    the drive still and throwing it on a new one .. I put the cab files for
    win98 on it as well so I don't need to worry about the cdrom issue at the
    moment

    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > have
    > > deleted. I
    > > the
    > > dont
    > > prompt,

    > > and
    > > >
    > > > Go into the BIOS and you can select which drive is first to boot from.

    > > system?
    > > >
    > > > Make a startup disk off another Win98 machine.
    > > > Insert it and choose CDrom support.
    > > > Run scandisk from it.
    > > > Have you done a dir /p at the C:\ prompt to even see what's in it?
    > > > Do a search for himem.sys. Perhaps you can copy it or rename it and
    > > replace it
    > > > with one off a floppy
    > > > It belongs in C:\Windows.
    > > > If you just want to get info off that drive, put it in another PC as a
    > > slave and
    > > > copy what you want.
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps a scandisk will then work on it while it is in another PC.
    > > > At least you will be able to run an anti-virus scan on it that way.
    > > >

    > > this machine has a strange bios, I previously even contacted compaq live
    > > online tech support to show me where it is so i could boot from cd.
    > >
    > > actually I like your idea about throwing it in another system .. for
    that
    > > I'd need to install win98 on another system and run a compare of system
    > > files .. i think i could probably do that with a few file transfer
    > > programs..
    > > thanks for the added thoughts ..
    >
    > I believe that XP would read that drive OK.
    > If you do the switch, make sure you set the jumper on the HDD to the slave
    > position.
    > Hopefully someone with an older Compaq will tell you how to get into the
    BIOS.
    > Many times it tells you on the very first screen during bootup.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Andre wrote:
    > saying is I cannot use an alternate windows CD to replace the system
    > only files ?

    It depends on what those "system only files" are. If they were provided
    by MS, yes, another Windows CD can be used to replace them. If they
    were provided by Compaq and are proprietary, no.

    In the latter case - IIRC - they would be on your friend's "restore"
    disk which was provided to him by Compaq at the time of purchase. Does
    he have such disk? If so, its purpose is to put the machine back to its
    original state...Windows, all proprietary drivers/programs, etc. but all
    user data and installed programs are lost.

    Mr. Terhune has suggested you re-install Windows "over the top" and I
    think that is what I'd do. Your problem seems to be that you can't
    access the CD drive to do so and believe that you need a driver for
    same. The only thing you need to do is boot from a Windows boot floppy
    and select the option to "Start with CD support". Selecting that option
    loads a cd driver. Once at the A> prompt, change drive to the CD drive
    (probably "E"" now as a RAM drive has been created and has the letter
    "D"). Once at the E> prompt, type "setup" assuring that the Win98
    install disk is in the CD drive.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Buffalo wrote:

    > Hopefully someone with an older Compaq will tell you how to get into
    > the BIOS. Many times it tells you on the very first screen during
    > bootup.

    Why would anyone with a Compaq want to access the BIOS??? :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    To change Boot Order, for one thing. But there's plenty of reasons.

    In case it's still a question, you usually get into a Compaq BIOS using F10.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Buffalo wrote:
    >
    >> Hopefully someone with an older Compaq will tell you how to get into
    >> the BIOS. Many times it tells you on the very first screen during
    >> bootup.
    >
    > Why would anyone with a Compaq want to access the BIOS??? :)
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I did plug it into the new computer and virus scanned it (tons of viruses
    > LOL) and when I scan disked .. with three diff programs .. they all pretty
    > much said un-repairable .. I'm going to see if I can get away with imaging
    > the drive still and throwing it on a new one .. I put the cab files for
    > win98 on it as well so I don't need to worry about the cdrom issue at the
    > moment

    Back up all files ASAP as it may fail at any time.
    Happy to hear that you are making some progress.
    Don't attempt scandisk or defrag or anything else (including virus and spyware
    scans) until you back up what you want to save.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I was able to back up the data files when I connected the HD to my computer,
    also I completed a sucessfull install overtop using the win98 cabs, it kept
    all the drivers in tact .. now I just need another hard drive from my friend
    and I can image it to a new one for him .. all and all .. a bit of a pain,
    but a success without having to completely scrap it I think.

    This wouldn't have been such a pain if he just had the original restore cd
    or drivers were available!!! <sigh> LOL ..

    Thanks guys for your input.. also .. about this compaq bios .. a very wierd
    one indeed .. accessing the bios you do press F10, but it installs the bios
    onto the hard drive .. so when I was pressing F10, it was telling me the
    EISA setup was not found on the disk .. they did have that on the compaq
    site and I did setup the bios previously .. but there was still no option
    for boot order ... oh yea and on the back of this fandangled machine it says
    ... date of manufacture OCT 1995 =D

    > "Andre" <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote in message
    > > I did plug it into the new computer and virus scanned it (tons of
    viruses
    > > LOL) and when I scan disked .. with three diff programs .. they all
    pretty
    > > much said un-repairable .. I'm going to see if I can get away with
    imaging
    > > the drive still and throwing it on a new one .. I put the cab files for
    > > win98 on it as well so I don't need to worry about the cdrom issue at
    the
    > > moment
    >
    > Back up all files ASAP as it may fail at any time.
    > Happy to hear that you are making some progress.
    > Don't attempt scandisk or defrag or anything else (including virus and
    spyware
    > scans) until you back up what you want to save.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    It was a joke, son. As witness the smiley :)

    dadiOH

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > To change Boot Order, for one thing. But there's plenty of reasons.
    >
    > In case it's still a question, you usually get into a Compaq BIOS
    > using F10.
    >

    > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    >> Buffalo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hopefully someone with an older Compaq will tell you how to get into
    >>> the BIOS. Many times it tells you on the very first screen during
    >>> bootup.
    >>
    >> Why would anyone with a Compaq want to access the BIOS??? :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ahhh, well I thought it was a sarcastic smile, <g>. Which, come to think of
    it, I would tend to automatically assume of any smiley appended to a comment
    on a Compaq.

    Besides, it was a good hook for the F10 hint, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > It was a joke, son. As witness the smiley :)
    >
    > dadiOH
    >
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >> To change Boot Order, for one thing. But there's plenty of reasons.
    >>
    >> In case it's still a question, you usually get into a Compaq BIOS
    >> using F10.
    >>

    >> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message

    >>> Why would anyone with a Compaq want to access the BIOS??? :)
    >

    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I was able to back up the data files when I connected the HD to my computer,
    > also I completed a sucessfull install overtop using the win98 cabs, it kept
    > all the drivers in tact .. now I just need another hard drive from my friend
    > and I can image it to a new one for him .. all and all .. a bit of a pain,
    > but a success without having to completely scrap it I think.
    >
    > This wouldn't have been such a pain if he just had the original restore cd
    > or drivers were available!!! <sigh> LOL ..
    >
    > Thanks guys for your input.. also .. about this compaq bios .. a very wierd
    > one indeed .. accessing the bios you do press F10, but it installs the bios
    > onto the hard drive .. so when I was pressing F10, it was telling me the
    > EISA setup was not found on the disk .. they did have that on the compaq
    > site and I did setup the bios previously .. but there was still no option
    > for boot order ... oh yea and on the back of this fandangled machine it says
    > .. date of manufacture OCT 1995 =D

    Happy to hear it's still operating.
    Good job. I'm glad to hear that putting it in another machine worked.
    Your friend owes you a dinner, at least. :-)

    PS: With the price of a very fast PC , including monitor,printer,burner,lan
    card,etc, running only about $300, I would save the money he is going to spend
    on a new HDD and talk him into upgrading.
    Cheers
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:12:37 -0700, "Andre"
    <~remove~azavaglia@gfrpharma.com> wrote:

    >ok, thanks for the prompt reply guys, why would the system boot to dos then?
    >do i just type win to get windows to start?
    >
    >when i type win, it tells me there may be bad sectors and starts a scan

    At this point, I would:

    1) ABANDON further attempts to "get Windows to boot"
    2) Get my data off there, fast
    3) Replace the HD with one that is not physically defective
    4) Only then, worry about Windows.

    The reason Scandisk is running an automatic surface scan is because
    previous failures to access disk have been flagged in the file system.

    This is likely to be related to your spontaneous loss of system files.

    Windows is unfit for use in this hardware context, because it ALWAYS
    writes to the hard drive, even in Safe Mode (Temp files, swap file,
    etc.). This increases the risk of trashing your data.

    Relevant clickfood:

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/pccrisis.htm

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm

    Hmmm... what was the *other* idea?
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Personally, I'd spend three or four times that much and get a machine that
    can handle heavy duty if required, and last more than one or two years.
    Those loss-leader offers from the big companies these days are junk.

    But if cash flow is an issue, and the user doesn't really need anything more
    than a loss-leader, it's certainly more efficient than trying to keep an old
    POS in service.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > PS: With the price of a very fast PC , including
    > monitor,printer,burner,lan
    > card,etc, running only about $300, I would save the money he is going to
    > spend
    > on a new HDD and talk him into upgrading.
    > Cheers

Configuration Microsoft Computers Windows