Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Update / new Qs about upgrading to 98SE

Tags:
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:37:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Hello,

I wasn't able to find the upgrade (from FE to SE), so I purchased a 98SE
full install CD from Ebay. What I received was the CD in a paper sleeve
with the product key sticker on the back. Is there a way to verify that
this product key isn't being used by anyone else? I prefer not to register
with MS.

I'm backing up the C: drive. My plan is to implement these instructions
found online:
*open the Windows folder on the PC and rename win.com to win.old
*run setup.exe from the CD

There was also a suggestion that it's easier in the long run to copy all the
relevant files into a new directory on the C: drive, and run setup from
there.

Any suggestions before I do this?

TIA,
TL

More about : update upgrading 98se

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:37:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Tante Lina" <telina05@focusforms.com> wrote in message
news:6GMOe.928$5B4.399@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Hello,
>
> I wasn't able to find the upgrade (from FE to SE), so I purchased a 98SE
> full install CD from Ebay. What I received was the CD in a paper sleeve
> with the product key sticker on the back. Is there a way to verify that
> this product key isn't being used by anyone else? I prefer not to
> register
> with MS.

Product Key is the number that takes the form of five groups of 5 characters
(or a slightly different format where OEM constitutes the second set of
characters.) It is not a unique number. Many CDs share the same number. This
number is entirely different from the Product ID, which is a longer unique
number not unlike a serial number. Go ahead and use the Product Key that was
provided, and then simply decline to Register when prompted (which prompt
comes towards the end of the installation, unlike Product Key which appears
at the start.) Since Support ended some time ago, registering provides
absolutely no benefit.

>
> I'm backing up the C: drive. My plan is to implement these instructions
> found online:
> *open the Windows folder on the PC and rename win.com to win.old
> *run setup.exe from the CD

I believe that is at least part of the trick to allow you to use an OEM CD
as an upgrade, instead of being forced to "clean" install. I recommend
against this method, and instead suggest that you'd be much happier if you
reformat and reinstall the new system from scratch. Which leads us into...

>
> There was also a suggestion that it's easier in the long run to copy all
> the
> relevant files into a new directory on the C: drive, and run setup from
> there.

Once you're sure your personal data is backed up and that you've written
down things like username/password combinations for your personal accounts,
then boot to a Windows Startup floppy disk. Enable CDROM Support (and make
sure the CD is in the drive) and then when the A:\> prompt appears, run the
following commands. (Assumes E:\ is the new letter for the CD drive, but you
should always check the last few lines of the bootup dialogue to make sure.
It's usually not the same letter as when you're running Windows.)

format c: /s
c:
md win98
copy e:\win98\*.* c:\win98

Once the Copy operation is finished, eject the floppy disk and restart the
system (C-A-D or reset button.) At the C:\> prompt run the following:

cd win98
setup

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:14:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:e3et10CqFHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> "Tante Lina" <telina05@focusforms.com> wrote in message
> news:6GMOe.928$5B4.399@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way to verify that
> > this product key isn't being used by anyone else?
>
> Product Key is the number that takes the form of five groups of 5
characters
> (or a slightly different format where OEM constitutes the second set of
> characters.) It is not a unique number.
>

Hi Gary,
OK, thanks for clearing that up.
As for the rest, I've printed your instructions. Thanks again.

TL
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:14:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

YW. Good luck!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Tante Lina" <telina05@focusforms.com> wrote in message
news:L5OOe.812$z2.370@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:e3et10CqFHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> "Tante Lina" <telina05@focusforms.com> wrote in message
>> news:6GMOe.928$5B4.399@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to verify that
>> > this product key isn't being used by anyone else?
>>
>> Product Key is the number that takes the form of five groups of 5
> characters
>> (or a slightly different format where OEM constitutes the second set of
>> characters.) It is not a unique number.
>>
>
> Hi Gary,
> OK, thanks for clearing that up.
> As for the rest, I've printed your instructions. Thanks again.
>
> TL
>
Related resources
!