DVD size

When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

When you use Windows Explorer to check the properties of a CD or DVD, it
will only show you the amount of data, of occupied space, not the amount of
potential storage (which is 4 GB, more or less.) IOW, there isn't any
"normal" about the size of a CD or DVD as reported by Windows Explorer.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

Or maybe it's that integer overflow bug they never bothered fixing in one of
the Win98 DLL files? (the signed vs unsigned arithmetic thing with the MSB)

For example, in Win 98 you can't copy files larger than 2.1 GB (and not 4.2
GB) in Windows Explorer. (If you need to do that, you have to use the COPY
command in DOS).

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> When you use Windows Explorer to check the properties of a CD or DVD, it
> will only show you the amount of data, of occupied space, not the amount
of
> potential storage (which is 4 GB, more or less.) IOW, there isn't any
> "normal" about the size of a CD or DVD as reported by Windows Explorer.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

I doubt it. Check it out. Put in any CD or DVD. The reported size is always
the amount of data on the disk, not its potential capacity.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Or maybe it's that integer overflow bug they never bothered fixing in one
> of
> the Win98 DLL files? (the signed vs unsigned arithmetic thing with the
> MSB)
>
> For example, in Win 98 you can't copy files larger than 2.1 GB (and not
> 4.2
> GB) in Windows Explorer. (If you need to do that, you have to use the
> COPY
> command in DOS).
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> When you use Windows Explorer to check the properties of a CD or DVD, it
>> will only show you the amount of data, of occupied space, not the amount
> of
>> potential storage (which is 4 GB, more or less.) IOW, there isn't any
>> "normal" about the size of a CD or DVD as reported by Windows Explorer.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

Gary, I can burn a 4.2GB data DVD on my ME system and Explorer always
reports it as 1.99GB. The same thing must happen in '98. I don't have a
DVD drive on this '98SE system so I can't do it here.

> I doubt it. Check it out. Put in any CD or DVD. The reported size is
always
> the amount of data on the disk, not its potential capacity.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Or maybe it's that integer overflow bug they never bothered fixing in
one
> > of
> > the Win98 DLL files? (the signed vs unsigned arithmetic thing with the
> > MSB)
> >
> > For example, in Win 98 you can't copy files larger than 2.1 GB (and not
> > 4.2
> > GB) in Windows Explorer. (If you need to do that, you have to use the
> > COPY
> > command in DOS).
> >
> > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> >> When you use Windows Explorer to check the properties of a CD or DVD,
it
> >> will only show you the amount of data, of occupied space, not the
amount
> > of
> >> potential storage (which is 4 GB, more or less.) IOW, there isn't any
> >> "normal" about the size of a CD or DVD as reported by Windows Explorer.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Just put a rented dvd in my dvd drive under 98SE, Explorer's left hand pane
shows 7.84gig.

pjp wrote:
> Just put a rented dvd in my dvd drive under 98SE, Explorer's left hand pane
> shows 7.84gig.
>
> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

That would need to be a double layer disk to have 7.84 GB on one side of
it (some retail disks are also double sided).

That's the biggest filesize burned in ISO/Joliet that can be burned/pressed.
UDF doesn't have this limitation.

A packet reader may or may not affect windows explorer when viewing the
capacity of an entire DVD. Same with DVD movie playing software.

When viewing the capacity of an entire DVD with a burning program, all bets
are off.

Some rough adding of each file on the DVD can aid in what the true capacity
is. A burned closed session, that's the capacity. An open session, you
have additional capacity, but won't be visible in windows explorer.
ISO/Joliet is limited to roughly 4.3GB on a standard DVD. Roughly, twice
that on a double density DVD.

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

Everyone of the game DVD demo disks I checked are 1.99 gb but that must be
incorrect!

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> That's the biggest filesize burned in ISO/Joliet that can be burned/pressed.
> UDF doesn't have this limitation.
>
> A packet reader may or may not affect windows explorer when viewing the
> capacity of an entire DVD. Same with DVD movie playing software.
>
> When viewing the capacity of an entire DVD with a burning program, all bets
> are off.
>
> Some rough adding of each file on the DVD can aid in what the true capacity
> is. A burned closed session, that's the capacity. An open session, you
> have additional capacity, but won't be visible in windows explorer.
> ISO/Joliet is limited to roughly 4.3GB on a standard DVD. Roughly, twice
> that on a double density DVD.
>
> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

Yes, it's a fault in Win98 Explorer, IIRC.

--

> Everyone of the game DVD demo disks I checked are 1.99 gb but that must be
> incorrect!
>
> "Lil' Dave" wrote:
>
>> That's the biggest filesize burned in ISO/Joliet that can be burned/pressed.
>> UDF doesn't have this limitation.
>>
>> A packet reader may or may not affect windows explorer when viewing the
>> capacity of an entire DVD. Same with DVD movie playing software.
>>
>> When viewing the capacity of an entire DVD with a burning program, all bets
>> are off.
>>
>> Some rough adding of each file on the DVD can aid in what the true capacity
>> is. A burned closed session, that's the capacity. An open session, you
>> have additional capacity, but won't be visible in windows explorer.
>> ISO/Joliet is limited to roughly 4.3GB on a standard DVD. Roughly, twice
>> that on a double density DVD.
>>
>> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I check the size of a DVD disk, I get 1.99 gb. Is that normal?

Why?
What's "gb"?