Need help to figure out A problem with PC !!!

slovak

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Until yesterday my games like Counter strike source, and guildwars worked fine. Now whenever I start playing the games it starts laaging pretty bad and doesnt stop. I checked the desktop manager and it said that the Cpu usage is at 100% but before that in never reached over 70% of usage while playing the games. I Know its not my internet and I Have 1Gig of ram and so I am trying to figure if it is my graphics card or somethin else. My graphics card is an OLD GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8X I would like to know if it is my grpahics card or if it something else any help is appreciated. Thanks

apollo001

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
You should consider upgrading vid card, but you may look at your HD. You might have picked up a bug. (spyware, virus, ect.). You cpu usage should not go over say 30%. Good luck.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
spyware could be the problem
hit ctrl alt dlt and in windows task manager click on processes and see what is running the cpu up to 100 %
that should be a starting point

slovak

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
The cpu stays about 4-10% of usage while i am on the internet or doing work on microsoft word and such. But when I want to play a game it goes to 100%. Like I mentioned before this did not happened until recently. I checked the HDD for any errors and problems. So I think it is my graphics card. And I am a budget gamer and I would like to know what is a good GPU for rougly less than or little over $100 AGP slot.

linux_0

Splendid
The cpu stays about 4-10% of usage while i am on the internet or doing work on microsoft word and such. But when I want to play a game it goes to 100%. Like I mentioned before this did not happened until recently. I checked the HDD for any errors and problems. So I think it is my graphics card. And I am a budget gamer and I would like to know what is a good GPU for rougly less than or little over $100 AGP slot.

Your VGA card wouldn't have slowed down all of a sudden.

It might be a virus, spyware, malware as mentioned above, a dying HDD, bad fragmentation on your HDD, windoze needing a re-install or an EVIL M$ patch.....

linux_0

Splendid
or an EVIL M$ patch.....

LMAO....quite possible though. :D[/quote]

oh yeah, sadly it happens :-(

SP2 degrades performance 10-25%

I heard a recent M$ patch needs to be patched in order to fix the patch which needs patched because they didn't patch it right
lmao.gif

To be fair M$ is not the only vendor that releases evil patches but they certainly do it more often that other vendors.

slovak

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I ran the spyware and defragmeneted the HDD and I still tend to lagg about the same. I really think it is my GPU but ILL try to re-install some drivers again.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Your gpu is very outdated for counter strike (powered by steam)
but I have to agree with linux 0 .
seems kind of strange to be all of the sudden.
if thats the 64 meg card ...its going to use system ram to run that game.
try system restore to restore previous state before you noticed slowdown .

slovak

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
ok how do I Check the history of installed software like you mentioned.? sorry for akin soo many questions about this I really dont know what else to do. what graphics card will not use my system memory ?

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
the easiest wat is in add and remove programs .
in the control panel.
what your talking about should be resolved by restoring the registry.
but I need more info

linux_0

Splendid
problem still presists

What are you full system specs?

CPU

PSU

motherboard

RAM

HDD ( s )

PCI cards

?

You could upgrade to a 6600GT / 6800GS / 7800GS AGP or equivalent ATI AGP card but if the rest of the system is not up to spec you may not see a significant increase in performance.

It still sounds like it's a windoze problem, I hate to have to suggest this but a re-install may be in order.