second hard drive

I have a 1998 vintage computer that I'm trying to set up to donate. I used
WipeDrive software to clean the hard disks and have just completed a clean
install of Windows 98. For some reason though, the second hard drive does not
appear in Windows Explorer.? It appears in Device Manager with all
indications it is working properly, but otherwise appears to be inaccessible
in Windows. The system has a 233 Pentium processor with 256 MB of SD RAM, an
8 GB "C" drive and (somewhere) a 3 GB "D" drive. Any ideas will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about second hard drive

    "=?Utf-8?B?cmpuMDI=?=" <rjn02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I have a 1998 vintage computer that I'm trying to set up to donate. I
    > used WipeDrive software to clean the hard disks and have just
    > completed a clean install of Windows 98. For some reason though, the
    > second hard drive does not appear in Windows Explorer.? It appears in
    > Device Manager with all indications it is working properly, but
    > otherwise appears to be inaccessible in Windows. The system has a 233
    > Pentium processor with 256 MB of SD RAM, an 8 GB "C" drive and
    > (somewhere) a 3 GB "D" drive. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    I think you'll have to partition and format the drive.

    >I think you'll have to partition and format the drive.

    And don't forget to check the CMOS settings !

    I made this mistake recently with similar symptoms.

    "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
    > "=?Utf-8?B?cmpuMDI=?=" <rjn02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a 1998 vintage computer that I'm trying to set up to donate. I
    > > used WipeDrive software to clean the hard disks and have just
    > > completed a clean install of Windows 98. For some reason though, the
    > > second hard drive does not appear in Windows Explorer.? It appears in
    > > Device Manager with all indications it is working properly, but
    > > otherwise appears to be inaccessible in Windows. The system has a 233
    > > Pentium processor with 256 MB of SD RAM, an 8 GB "C" drive and
    > > (somewhere) a 3 GB "D" drive. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > I think you'll have to partition and format the drive.

    To get a drive letter assigned, you only have to partition -
    fomatting is not required for drive letter assignment.

Hard Drives Windows